Possibility of ABC/SBS Merger

This is probably the best thread to share this following article.

I know it’s a hypothetical question but…

A channel cut-off war between Viceland and ABC ME is stupid anyways. We already have most of the Viceland programmes elsewhere. ABC ME providing children’s programmes (non-preschool) on free-to-air and it being available in rural areas as well as metro centres (Looking at you, 10Shake)? Way more important.

3 Likes

The specific example (viceland vs me) is probably a bit silly but it does represent a difficult decision that would have to be made - cutting the available capacity in half will require both broadcasters to choose which services they would keep/remove

It’s especially difficult when the broadcasters have different expectations around what services they offer

I don’t think it should be a decision putting an ABC channels up against an SBS channel to choose which stays and which goes - the decision on how each broadcaster uses their slice of the available space should be a decision for them alone

3 Likes

It’s 1986 all over again!!!

Cutting off either Viceland and/or ABC Me is a bit silly. But some shows on Viceland could be moved to ABC Plus.

Jeopardy, for example. A great American game show. This could easily be moved to ABCPlus. At the 7.30pm slot. How many times can someone watch Spicks and specks repeats (as much as i love the show). Viceland can air other niche gameshows from non-English nations