Pay TV History

How different things could’ve been if this got up instead of Sky. It may have even stayed as a respectable news station, unlike the current incarnation of Sky.

1 Like

Re, the TNC demise clip: It’s very interesting to note that Juanita Phillips (who introduced the story on Ten Sydney) was the very first newsreader to introduce a bulletin on Sky News Australia less than six months later! Mind you, I’ve got absolutely no doubt that Juanita is extremely thankful to be working at the ABC and not Sky News Australia these days…

If TNC did survive and eventually launch to the public, I wonder if it eventually would’ve become a fully ABC-owned channel with a move to free to air digital television once the laws allowed?

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: NZ TV History

A clip from C7 Sports

7 Likes

The large C7 sport watermark caused burn-ins on some TVs

1 Like

19 September 1995: Australia’s first cable TV provider called, Optus Vision, begins broadcasting.

2 Likes

We would be in a different world if Optus Vision survived. Optus Vision had AFL, Olympics, National Soccer League on their pay-TV sports channel called “Sports Australia” (later C7 Sport)

3 Likes

Probably one where C7 Sport (as Sports Australia eventually became or was replaced by) would still exist in some form or another, Seven likely still would’ve had FTA broadcast rights for the AFL between 2002 & 2006 as well.

3 Likes

Seen in the city centre of Canberra.

11 Likes

New World TV was a Cantonese language pay TV channel broadcasting programs from TVB in Hong Kong via satellite. After Galaxy’s collapse, it became a standalone pay TV channel called TVBJ, owned by TVB International (a subsidiary of TVB). TVBJ gradually evolved to a small network comprising more than dozen channels, including direct retransmission of several TVB channels from HK, as well as TVBJ (with locally produced shows and news bulletin with footage supplied by Seven), plus channels in Mandarin, Vietnamese and Korean. The network became known as TVB Anywhere in 2018, and in 2019 it got rid of all its set top boxes. Subscribers have to buy a small media player as part of the subscription and stream the channels like Netflix and Amazon.

2 Likes

Going through my VHS archives, I found this - a line-up and then a station ID, recorded on 20 June 1998.

They’re also available via Fetch.

5 Likes

Though what’s available on Fetch appears to a cutdown package with less channels available.

2 Likes

Correct, the TVB channels currently available on Fetch is a teaser, so that people will subscribe directly to TVB Anywhere for a full suite.

1 Like

Promo for Films That Shocked The World on the SBS World Movie Channel on Foxtel

3 Likes

I was just watching this old ad for C7 Sport and at the end they list the pay tv providers does anyone know what Access1 was?

1 Like

https://web.archive.org/web/20011202042646/http://www.access1.com.au:80/visitorshome/services/accesstv.htm

I think Access1 was an early attempt at a hybrid satellite/broadband-based service. Seemed to only last a couple of years (if even that).

3 Likes

At an undisclosed location (forgot where I found this picture).
Does anyone know if Galaxy had its own TV guide magazine?

6 Likes

Of course they did:

7 Likes

Just having a browse in reaction to the talk in Stan Sport about previous attempts of FTA channels to step into the subscription sport market. Any footage and screencaps from C7 Sport?

The wiki suggests that came out of a channel dubbed Sports Australia which Seven had a small share in then ultimmately rebranded as C7 Sport as other shareholders dropped out. Anyone got more info on that?

1 Like
4 Likes