Overseas TV History

In 1995, all three major networks changed their local stations in Denver. Here’s a report from KMGH, which went from CBS to ABC, about the big affiliation switch:

3 Likes

Interesting video about the ITV strike that took much of the network off air for 11 weeks, starting 40 years ago this week, leaving Brits with only BBC television. (ITV affiliate Channel TV defied the ban but without a network the schedule must have been light!)

YouTube: ITV News

4 Likes

Here’s how Channel TV adjusted its schedule:

https://twitter.com/ChannelArchive/status/947189570348732418?s=20

1 Like

It’s not often that a TV station gets to report on its own demise, but that was the dominant story on Coast to Coast, the regional newscast from TVS in the UK, on the day in 1991 when the station learned that it had lost its ITV franchise/license:

1 Like

Looks to me like they sourced all the footage of the return of ITV to the airwaves from this video on Youtube rather than diving into their own tapes. The quality isn’t very good.

1 Like

And this is how the 1991 ITV license auction – and all the upheaval it caused – was covered that night by ITN’s national News at Ten:

1 Like

One of the best local newscasts ever; WBBM in the 1970s really knew how to cover its city, and the newsroom set was just brilliant:

2 Likes

Speaking of Blade Runner-esque themes, the '80s Granada documentary series Television, which was (as it name implies) devoted to the history of television, used a theme closely based on the Blade Runner End Titles by Vangelis. The opening sequence mesmerized me as a child and it still looks impressive today:

By the way, was the series shown in Australia?

1 Like

I believe it was, as a summer replacement for 60 Minutes

1 Like

1 Like

Now I can see where you caught the bug! Ha! :):grin: thought u grew up in phx and slo :question:

1 Like

The series was shown by Slovenian television in 1989! But, yes, that’s when I caught the TV bug. For instance, I recorded this Slovenian newscast that year (uploaded by someone else, since I didn’t have capture capability at the time):

1 Like

Mexican TV listings from 1969:

I’ll never forget the time I was standing there - just over a year ago - outside ABC News headquarters in New York. Sure NBC Today gets all the glory - and yes, that was a thrill to walk by - and FOX and GMA and, hell, I went and found CBS News and CNN Time Warner and Eyewitness News and The Daily Show, and they were all fun locations to visit… but it was ABC News that hit me the most. You know what? ABC is located in the most nondescript, empty (I mean, one of the quietest little alleys in New York just off Central Park West) streets. The building is basic. The door. The security scan. The logo itself is hardly noticeable. About the most visible marker of ABC is the little moving poster ad on the bus shelter 50m away. But this really was it! Thinking about it now, it’s like a Wizard if Oz moment. This was - maybe now not all that much at all, of course - but this was the great “ABC News World Headquarters in New York with Peter Jennings”! The point of this is not that I found it underwhelming - the sheer nondescriptness of some random 5-story beige building in a small, empty street. I was actually in awe of how they managed to make that world inside seem like the centre of the universe for news junkies. How Peter Jennings basically single-handedly did that with his effortless cool, his worldly air, his confidence in the product. I was left thinking - was it all a bit of smoke and mirrors? Perhaps. Was ABC really telling the real story all those years of the “world” “news” “tonight”? Or was it all just a product wrapped up for the real goal - selling stuff? Either way, I admired Jennings and ABC and the way they did news. There was always something a bit more authentic about ABC News than the product from NBC and CBS back in the day, if you ask me. That “something” is something I still don’t know exactly what it was - but it is what drew me to stand outside their plain little building in a random alleyway, with buildings so low for New York you could see sun peering through into the trees, and wonder in awe.
3 Likes

Same rare fragments of Cuban TV presentation (IDs, essentially) from the 1980s:

I’ve never heard a news room described as fun. :laughing:

1 Like

I used to live right near the ABC building and they film the ABC7 local news on the ground floor, so you can always peek in.

After coming back from dinner or a show, I’d sometimes walk by and see them doing the 11pm news there.

I’m not sure I’d call anything around the Lincoln Square area “quiet” though :wink:

can we just appreciate how classy and simple Granada’s 1993 ident was?

2 Likes

WABC is on the corner. But ABC News is set back away from the busyness. Indeed, on Google earth, you can see how low-key it is.

And on the other side of the spectrum, an early '70s ident that is neither classy nor simple but wonderfully colorful and psychedelic – Télé Monte Carlo from the Principality of Monaco (serving Italy and France with its two separate channels):

2 Likes