On This Day

It doesn’t appear she started until the second week of March. There’s a review in The Age of her first night that mentions she wasn’t properly introduced by Mal and David until Bruce welcomed her at the conclusion of his sport segment. It also mentions Julie Foster was the weather presenter. Hadn’t heard that name before.

5 Likes

She was a new name to me at the time, but I later found out she was a reporter on the '70s current affairs show No Man’s Land and (IIRC) had also been a reporter for The Herald newspaper. Haven’t heard anything of her since she left Ten. I think she was replaced by David Brown, who is now (still?) at Seven.

EDIT: I don’t know if it’s the same Julie Foster, but LinkedIn has a Julie Foster in Melbourne with previous employment at 3AW (producer), Today Tonight (chief of staff) and Healthy Wealthy And Wise (producer) but most recently as head of communications at Beyond Blue.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s one and the same Julie Foster.

How and when did they figure this out?

26/1/2004 National Nine News relaunches its graphics, with new sets on the East Coast.

26/1/2005 ABC News overhauls their brand with a brand new soundtrack replacing the Peter Ansell track that had been in place since 1985 (which remains as of today, albeit remixed), as well as new graphics.

26/1/2020 Kay McGrath signs off from Seven News Brisbane for the final time.

3 Likes

From the ABCB 1964-65 Annual Report image

1 Like

Australia Day 1988 - TVO News

Themed edition of Perfect Match, John Farnham was Australian of the year, Invasion Day was a thing back then and Richmond Hill premiere was later in the week.

3 Likes

From Wikipedia:
NRN was originally licensed to broadcast on VHF-10 but in August 1965 received approval to change to 11 following reports that the Channel 10 signal was prone to interference.

1 Like

Celebrating Australia Day with an all American line-up after 7.30pm: The A-Team, L.A. Law, Dallas, Baretta. :laughing:

Here is the opener from Seven Brisbane on that day - this was the new 30 minute format that had just launched; it was followed by Carroll At Seven (promo in video) and followed Home and Away.

26 January 1995: Australia’s first pay-TV operator, Galaxy, is officially opened following its soft launch on New Year’s Day. Included the expansion of its sole channel, Premier Sports Network (PSN) to a 24-hour service, including live sport. The first face seen on the properly launched channel was veteran Melbourne TV identity Ron Casey, best known as host of the long-running World Of Sport.

Joining PSN was an international news channel, ANBC.

Other channels to follow included two movie channels (Showtime and Encore), a general entertainment channel (Arena), two retro channels (TV1 and Classic Max), music channel (Red), children’s channel (Max) and a documentary channel (Quest).

5 Likes

In 1988 we were flicking between the Sydney channels all day. I have a VHS of it somewhere. We didn’t bother going into the city as it would have been a crush. I do have memories of being on the Kirribilli shore for the Captain Cook Bicentenary in 1970, and remember that it was a good day. We stayed for the fireworks.

3 Likes

26 January 1980: Melbourne’s new Channel Ten launches The Saturday Night Show, taking over the harness racing/variety show hybrid model after Seven had axed The Penthouse Club/Saturday Night Live late in 1979.

The Saturday Night Show was hosted by former Penthouse Club host Mike Williamson and Annette Allison, with races called by Clem Dimsey.

The show only lasted a few weeks.

YouTube: kylegalley

1 Like

I recently noticed a few houses on the Gold Coast still have the old microwave dishes on the roof for the old Galaxy MDS Pay TV service.

2 Likes

You mean like these… (These properties are down at Burleigh Heads and Miami.)

MDS transmitter powers were typically around 20Watts.

2 Likes

So these were used as Galaxy didn’t do satélite or cable?

1 Like

MDS must of been a cheaper option instead of satellite.

2 Likes

Could they still be used today as a technology or wouldn’t it work with heaps of channels? Just talking one way broadcast no on demand or internet stuff.

1 Like

Yes, those ones. Galaxy started off with MDS and then launched satellite later in 1995 from memory. In Sydney, the two Galaxy MDS sites were Centrepoint Tower and Horsley Park. I wonder what frequencies they used?

2 Likes

27/1/2014 Mark Ferguson permanently replaces Chris Bath as lead anchor on Seven News Sydney.

This is the second time he was promoted to a weeknight presenting role after he permanently replaced Jim Waley on Nine News in 2005.

5 Likes