On This Day

Memory might be off, with it being WUSA9 Washington DC from 1986-1996.
image image

I’m think you meant station WJLA which used the logo your talking about from 1975 - 2001. (Also an ABC station.)
image image image image

3 Likes

This probably also would’ve been the same day that new Opening Titlecards featuring a model of the Sydney Harbour Bridge (apparently on-display at the Museum of Sydney these days) were first used?

If my understanding of Sydney TV news On-Air Presentation history is correct, that footage of the Harbour Bridge model remained in Seven’s news openers for about eight years and a few different graphics packages.

2 Likes

Ah, yes, my bad. I couldn’t remember which one it was. I stand corrected.

2 Likes

I don’t know if other Sevens did this, but HSV was rolling out the first of its “Nobody knows Melbourne like Seven” promos, featuring the new 7 logo, a few weeks ahead of this. It stood out because the rest of the channel presentation was still based around the old rainbow 7. It can’t have been an error because they played the promo a number of times ahead of the changeover. It was unclear, was this new logo just for the news, or was it a prelude to a new logo, or what was going on?

1 Like

WUSA’s 9 logo is similar to the dot-less 9 logo in the early 1980s

1 Like

Not the best quality, but for what it’s worth.

Edit - based on the tape, this was the competition?

3 Likes

A comment in the SMH derided Climpson and Sanders as like a father and daughter team.

2 Likes

23 Jan 2009 - AFter 3.75 years, game show, Temptation went to air for the final time. Ed Phillips and Livinia Nixon thanked viewers for their wonderful support.
23 Jan 2017 - Millionaire Hot Seat was extended to 1 hour to compete against Seven’s The Chase Australia. This show had a revamp where it included a Fastest Finger First.

2 Likes

Let me guess the source of that cap: The June 1989 episode of Media Watch where Stuart Littlemore reviewed local bulletins from around the country? :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s correct.

Despite intense competition at the time, 1989 was probably one of the most successful years in the ratings for National Nine News with Brian Henderson?

1 Like

Perhaps that’s why Roger’s hair turned several shades darker throughout that year.

2 Likes

23 January 2006 - the final episode of Speaking in Tongues, with John Safran and Father Bob Maguire is aired on SBS TV.

3 Likes

Very good show. I was sad when they ended their Sunday night program on Triple J.

2 Likes

24/1/2011 Ten launches its so-called News Revolution, which sees the introduction of current affairs program 6PM with George Negus, an evening news bulletin at 6:30pm in each local market and the re-introduction of local weekend bulletins. Neither of these bulletins survived to the end of the year.

24/1/2014 after copping severe backlash over its new theme that was introduced on 20/1, Seven News reinstates the old Mission theme.

6 Likes

The new theme has to go down as one of the worst decisions Seven made in recent memory. That jingle just didn’t belong on their flagship news bulletin.

Thankfully they came to their senses a few days later restoring the old one.

4 Likes

Happy to be corrected, but it wasn’t a new version of The Mission was it? I thought it was a completely different piece of music.

1 Like

Ahh yes, sorry my bad, you’re right.

I got no idea what the new theme that lasted for a few days was called though.

24 January 1977: Graham Kennedy returns to television when Blankety Blanks premieres on TEN10 at 7.30pm. With The Celebrity Game also airing on TEN10, this gives the channel one hour of Grundy produced, celebrity panel game shows airing from 7pm Monday to Friday. By early March, The Celebrity Game had been pulled from the schedule and Blankety Blanks settles in to the 7pm slot.

24 January 1977: TCN9 presents The 6.09 To Granville at 8pm. The news special looks at the worst rail disaster in Australian history six days on from the tragedy and its aftermath. An animated Charlie Brown special was originally scheduled in the slot.

5 Likes

24 January 1988: At 6.30pm, straight out from the news, Channel Ten gave us this for the first time

YouTube: Aussiekid237

8 Likes

A great network logo that sadly only lasted over a year.

3 Likes

Great logo but the X logo for 10 lasted a year. Was the first logo for NEW-10 Perth.

3 Likes