On This Day

I know a website that has station openings listed in year order (not date order, it needs some tidying up)

yes and ABTQ 3 Townsville. I think the distance from Brisbane made it difficult to carry a relay network that far.

2 Likes

thanks for the info

9 September 1988: the last day for TV0 in Brisbane. From just after midnight tonight it makes a hard switch to Channel 10 (no simulcast with 0 due to neighbouring DDQ doing a reciprocal swap from 10 to 0)

https://televisionau.com/feature-articles/network-ten/come-across-to-ten

6 Likes

9/9/2007 During a live cross to the Seven News Brisbane bulletin, sports reporter Ben Davis is attacked by a gang of (presumably drunken) Brisbane Broncos supporters while reporting on the club’s NRL qualifying final loss to the Melbourne Storm 40-0.

Pat Welsh discontinues the live cross.

2 Likes

10 September 1988: The first day for “Brisbane Ten” after last night’s changeover from TV0.

In Darling Downs, “Vision TV” made the opposite switch from DDQ10 to DDQ0

3 Likes
1 Like

The end of the TV0 branding

1 Like

10/9/2001 In the United Kingdom, Charles Ingram is accused of, and eventually convicted of, cheating on the British version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?.

The episodes in which he were to appear were scheduled for 15 and 18 September 2001, but all references to his appearance are omitted, and the two episodes were eventually merged into one “extended edition”.

6 Likes

insert cough here

4 Likes

11 September 1971: ITQ-8 Mount Isa begins broadcasting.

3 Likes

14/9/2015 The Chase Australia premieres on the Seven Network. The game show is picked up in an attempt to shore up their national news ratings, which had fallen well below Nine’s in recent years.

But despite the game show’s ratings success, which continues today, Seven News continues to struggle on the east coast, which I would put down to Nine’s viewer loyalty at 6:00pm.

5 Likes

That would be the most logical explanation that I could think of too.

I’ve also noticed that whilst The Chase Australia wins nationally, it is usually beaten by Hot Seat in the individual cities along the east coast, which must then have a flow on effect for the rest of the evening.

4 Likes

14 September 2007: Network Ten announces Ten HD.

15 September 2007: The Seven Media Group announces a high definition multichannel, to be launched in December 2007.

15 September 2000: The 2000 Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony is broadcast by the Seven Network - one of the highest-rating programs ever shown on Australian television.

9 Likes

And a very happy birthday to former Nine newsreader Brian Henderson who turns 89 today.

7 Likes

Notable birthdays for September 15 include Michael Usher but perhaps most importantly, Brian Henderson who today turns 89.

As I said on Twitter earlier, the news we heard in February of Hendo’s quite understandable decision not to battle his latest cancer diagnosis really brought home just how significant his contributions to Sydney & Australian TV have been.

Obviously I hope this won’t have to happen anytime soon but when the time does eventually come, I really hope all the media will have Peter Harvey-like tributes (Remember how Nine ran an hour long post-news special on the night Harves passed away? I think much of Sydney expects similar for Hendo!) to a life and career which in some way or another, has likely been an influence to most newsreaders currently on Australian TV & radio.

So yeah, a significant date in the history of Sydney television for more than just the 2000 Olympics Opening Ceremony!

2 Likes

Here’s the guy, yes?

1 Like

The ‘like’ by @SydneyCityTV must mean I got the correct person. YES.

You’re in NBN-land, right?

While I don’t really like comparing presenters, probably the closest you guys ever had to a Brian Henderson-like figure on NBN News would’ve been Ray Dinneen with Mike Rabbitt likely the Ken Sutcliffe of Northern NSW! :slight_smile:

1 Like

dropping my opinion here I say yes to your comment.

1 Like

Sydney 2000 Olympics Opening Ceremony was 20 years ago today.

2 Likes