On This Day

That show was popular in my house when I was a kid. Sisters had all the Little House books. I may have read a couple so hopefully I get a few of the questions correct when I get around to watching Hard Quiz this week.

And in Perth on Access 31 from 4th August 2004.

Some information on RTV is mentioned in the Victorian Supreme Court case regarding it’s infamous CEO and some practices.

Stuart is an accountant who had worked in the television industry for many years with GTV Channel 9 Melbourne and in 1969 became general manager of Channel 0 Melbourne and thereafter Chairman of the 0/10 Network. In June 1979 he became self-employed and developed an international business acquiring and reselling television programs and feature films to television networks.

In 1999 he was told that Primelife was interested in establishing a television station, subsequently called Renaissance Television (RTV) for providing television programs to be telecast to retirees and senior citizens. He became a consultant to RTV and from some time in 1999 assumed the role of program manager. RTV supplied programs to Channel 31 that were telecast between 8 am and 4 pm on weekdays. Stuart regularly had discussions with Sent concerning programming and other RTV matters. He had an office on level 15 of Primelife’s offices at 470 Collins St (adjacent to its 464 Collins St offices). In about 2001 he became general manager of RTV.

3 Likes

8 March 1975: ATN7’s youth oriented music program Graham Webb’s Saturday Show becomes Sound Unlimited when Webb hands hosting duties to Donnie Sutherland. Webb becomes executive producer and continues to make an on air contribution. The show would later be known as Sounds Unlimited and then simply Sounds. The show’s signature theme song was “Love’s Theme” by Barry White’s Love Unlimited Orchestra.

8 March 1976: ATN7 claims they are offering a “community service” and are not being sensationalist when controversial 90 minute special Learning About Sex airs from 9.30pm. The show, presented by Mike Willesee and executive produced by Simon Townsend, is adapted from a British program of the same name that had caused uproar in Britain the previous year.

When Learning About Sex airs on BTQ7 on 1 April, Queensland Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen stands in Parliament and urges viewers to complain to the station and the Broadcasting Control Board.

8 March 1983: Ratings for Seven’s game show The New Price Is Right have plummeted and the decision is made to tweak the format. It will now have a carry-over champion and feature a Showcase of prizes valued at around $20,000 each night. The first show with the new format airs on ATN7 on this day in 1983 and it is hoped viewers will become invested in the show in the same way interest is piqued in Sale of the Century when they have a long running carry-over champion.

1 Like

Webb hanging on as host just long enough to see the transition to colour a week earlier?

Melbourne did not get Sound Unlimited until November 1975.

Typically, Melbourne followed a night after Sydney with this one.

1 Like

9 March 1975: Rolf Harris talks to everyday Australians, from city folk to Aborigines in outback communities, about what it means to be Australian in TCN9’s premiere special Rolf Harris In Australia.

9 March 1981: TEN10 airs The Franky Doyle Story more than twelve months after the movie length special chronicling one of Prisoner’s most notorious characters premiered to Melbourne viewers on ATV10.

9 March 1986: A.B. Facey’s prize winning autobiography A Fortunate Life comes to the small screen as a $3 million PBL produced mini-series. The story chronicles the hardships of the author growing up in Victoria and remote Western Australia and his experiences during World War I. Bill Hunter, Val Lehmann, Norman Yemm, Nicki Coghill, Ray Meagher and Willie Fennell are amongst well known Australian actors in the cast. Nine screens the acclaimed mini-series over four consecutive nights.

9 March 1987: Described as a cross between New Faces and The Gong Show and featuring a stream of people willing to make fools of themselves in studio and on the street, Have A Go premieres on ATN7 at 5.30pm. Have A Go is Jono and Dano’s latest attempt at finding a winning formula for television following the failure of Late Night With Jono and Dano on Seven the previous year. Have A Go had been on air in Melbourne since 16 February in the 6pm timeslot.

9 March 1990: Network Ten presents the 32nd Annual TV Week Logie Awards from Melbourne’s Hyatt on Collins Hotel. The ceremony is hosted by Mark Mitchell and special guests include John Travolta, Ernest Borgnine and Pauline Collins. Craig McLachlan takes home the Gold Logie.

2 Likes

9 March 2018 - Bill McDonald bids farewell to Seven News Brisbane after just over five years at the helm. He is replaced the following Monday by Max Futcher.

2 Likes

Lol

10 March 1983: The 1114th and final episode of The Sullivans screens in Melbourne. Two years later, GTV9 starts replaying episodes in prime time - 6.30 Sunday - which caused a stir as it became apparent that the actors were not being paid to have their work paraded again in prime time.

Competing with the final episode of The Sullivans is Ten’s 1920s drama Carson’s Law, starring former Grace Sullivan, Lorraine Bayly. Ten didn’t miss the opportunity to take out full page newspaper ads on the day to try and take some attention away from Nine’s Sullivans tear jerker.

GTV9_thesullivans

ATV10_carsonslaw

6 Likes

This was in TV Week, 17 August 1985, not long after The Sullivans in re-run began on GTV9 on Sunday nights, replacing the recently-axed New Faces.

If they were this outraged in 1985, imagine seeing the whole series come out on DVD 20+ years later… and probably still not seeing a cent for it.

3 Likes

That’s really odd to be screening reruns of an Australian drama during survey periods in prime time even for 1985. TCN was airing Our World docos in the Sunday 6.30pm time slot at that time.

It was very odd and it mustn’t have rated all that well either as GTV soon started running the Our World docos. The Sullivans went on to be re-run in mid-mornings.

Interesting that ATV10 scheduled Starsearch in the old New Faces slot within a week of the final show.

Never one to miss an opportunity…

Didn’t work, however.

11 March 2002 - Channel Seven Melbourne moves into new headquarters at Docklands, with the first Seven News Melbourne bulletin being broadcast from there at 6:00pm that evening. Accordingly, Seven News receives a new graphics set which is to last until 29 August 2004.

Also on that day, a special episode of The Weakest Link goes to air featuring the nine remaining contestants from The Mole. The contestants are flown from the Gold Coast to Melbourne and blindfolded on the bus trip to Seven’s South Melbourne studios where they, after removing their blindfolds, are revealed to be contestants on another show! They eventually raise $14,100 - the lowest amount ever won on The Weakest Link - which goes into their kitty on The Mole. Additionally, the winner earned himself an immunity from the corresponding elimination/termination that week.

11 March 2007 - the Seven News Brisbane bulletin broadcast that evening had to be filmed from the Martin Place studios in Sydney because Sharyn Ghidella could not fly back to Brisbane as she was heavily pregnant. Daylight saving made this possible. Sport was still done from Brisbane, though.

5 Likes

11 March 1960: ABS2, Adelaide’s 3rd TV station and 4th for ABC nationally, is officially opened.

ABW2 Perth and ABT2 Hobart were coming in May and June

3 Likes

10th March 1967 - BTW-3 Bunbury opens

1 Like

12 March 1977: Bill Collins interviews Barbra Streisand in a half hour special at 7pm on ATN7. She discusses her life, career and latest film, A Star Is Born.

12 March 1978: Margaret Throsby becomes the first woman to read the ABC’s 7pm television news bulletin.

12 March 1979: A 12 part drama series about a talk-back radio host premieres on ABC-TV. The Oracle is set in fictitious radio station 2KX and depicts the public and private life of top rating announcer Steve Black. Viewers and critics are quick to draw comparisons between the character and John Laws.

12 March 1980: 12 part futuristic action series Timelapse premieres on ABC-TV. The series is set in 1991 and follows an electronics engineer who returns to life after 12 years in a cryogenics chamber.

12 March 1982: Daryl Somers guest hosts New Faces on Nine while Bert Newton prepares to emcee the Logies. Somers had twice been a finalist on the show as well as a judge. In early 1982 he was also hosting a talent show on regional television in addition to his hosting duties on Hey Hey It’s Saturday and Family Feud. He makes no secret of the fact he’d like to present a national evening show.

The 24th Annual TV Week Logie Awards are presented at the Hilton Hotel in Melbourne. Special guests include Cindy Williams, Lou “The Hulk” Ferrigno, Britt Ekland, Genie Francis and Olivia Newton John. Bert Newton takes home another Gold Logie.

1 Like

So…The Daryl Somers Show?

I think this was the first Logies I watched in full. I’d been allowed to stay up to see part of the Logies in 1980 but missed 1981’s entirely as I was away that weekend. So I think 1982 was the first for me.

YouTube: aussiebeachut0

I remember my brother and I even then mocking the “I’m Katrina Lee” snippet from that opening sequence. We’d never seen her on TV in Melbourne at that point.

Also, I’d forgotten that they used to tape New Faces on Friday nights, so Daryl guest hosting makes sense even though the show aired in Melbourne on Sunday at 6.30 (I think TCN was still showing Disneyland at that time?)

Ironically, Daryl hosted the next remake of New Faces circa 1990 IIRC?

EDIT: it was 1989

2 Likes