On This Day

That was the high point of children’s programs on Nine. Apart from the first season of animated series Space Nova which was co-funded with the ABC, Nine has rarely touched on children’s programming since.

2 Likes

YouTube: Forgotten Memories

1 Like

Simon Mann called it for the BBC while Bill Lawry was on the mic for Channel 9/Sky UK.

1 Like

20 June 1988: ABC premieres children’s series Swap Shop, starring Melissa Jaffer and Tim McKenzie.

YouTube: Peter Young

20 June 1992: The Seven Network screens South Bank — A Night Of Stars, a concert event heralding the opening of the former World Expo 88 site on the South Bank Parklands in Brisbane. Hosted by Robert Brough (Family Feud), performers include John Denver, Lou Rawls, Nancy Wilson, James Morrison, James Reyne and Seven Network stars Ann-Maree Biggar and Agro.

20 June 1994: The Nine Network presents coverage of Game Three of the Rugby League State Of Origin — NSW versus Queensland — from Lang Park, Brisbane.

20 June 1999: ABC premieres four-part drama series Queen Kat, Carmel And St Jude, starring Alicia Gardiner, Dasi Ruz and Elissa Elliot.

20 June 2000: SBS premieres Bondi Banquet, a seven-part drama series about a group of residents in a Bondi apartment building. Starring Jason Chong, Paul Chubb, Mary Coustas, Elaine Lee, Deborah Mailman, Ditch Davey and Pia Miranda.

20 June 2004: ABC screens telemovie Stiff, starring David Wenham, Sam Neill, Deborah Kennedy, Mick Molloy, Robyn Butler, Alan Brough and Alan Hopgood. Written by John Clarke and Shane Maloney.

20 June 2005: The Nine Network and Fox Sports 2 begin coverage of the annual Wimbledon tennis tournament from London.

4 Likes

21 June 1970: ABC premieres a series of six Australian plays. The first, Eden House, stars John Bonney, Margot Lee, Pat Bishop, Jeff Kevin, Lyn James, Philippa Baker, Don Pascoe, Diana Davidson and Judy McBurney.

21 June 1976: ABC premieres mini-series Power Without Glory, based on the novel by Frank Hardy.

21 June 2011: SBS premieres three-part series Go Back To Where You Came From, putting a reality show twist into the ongoing debate on asylum seekers.

5 Likes

22 June 1972: Melbourne’s HSV7 televises the first Tattslotto draw, hosted by David Johnston and Lucy Kiraly.

22 June 1982: The Nine Network‘s The Young Doctors reaches episode 1219 — passing Number 96‘s 1218 episodes for longest running serial on Australian television.

22 June 1992: The Nine Network begins coverage of the annual Wimbledon tennis tournament from London.

22 June 1993: As part of National Refugee Week, actor Jack Thompson, his son Patrick and a United Nations team look at the suffering of the children of war-torn Cambodia in The Children Of Krousar Thmey (SBS).

22 June 1998: The Nine Network and Fox Sports begin coverage of the annual Wimbledon tennis tournament from London.

22 June 1999: SBS premieres A Fork In Australia, part of the A Fork In The Road travel series, hosted by Pria Viswalingam.

22 June 2009: The Nine Network and Fox Sports 3 begin coverage of the annual Wimbledon tennis tournament from London.

22 June 2010: The Seven Network premieres the Australian version of game show Minute To Win It, hosted by Darren McMullen.

6 Likes

Until the final year or so, The Young Doctors episodes were normally shown on the same day in both Melbourne and Sydney, with a few exceptions during summer non-ratings when one market or the other reduced the episode rate. However, at some point in late 1982 Sydney moved the series to 5pm from 6pm and fell a few episodes behind Melbourne - then in November 1982, it was reduced in Sydney to a weekly double-episode on Saturdays, late afternoon or early evening. One or both of these episodes was quite often dropped at short notice due to over-running sports coverage. The series eventually ended in Sydney on 15th October 1983, with the final 30-minute episode (1396) being shown at 5.30, some two weeks after the previous double-bill of episodes and several weeks later than originally anticipated.
Melbourne had kept the series at 6pm weeknights, and took only a short summer break, so they reached the final episode on Thursday 31st March 1983 - over six months earlier than the harbour city.

I’ve tried to compile a complete list of TX dates for this series and a few others* - but unplanned pre-empts in both Sydney and Melbourne during the final year means the Young Doctors list still has some gaps and anomalies. TV Week and even daily newspaper listings can’t even be relied on to be accurate - due to these last-minute schedule changes the synopses would be incorrect, referring to the episode due to be shown that day rather than the episode that actually was played!

• I know - I need to get out more!!
3 Likes

I think it was Wednesday 30 March? On that day, The Age had The Young Doctors tagged as a “worth considering” highlight (though no mention or advertising that it was the final). The Age - Google News Archive Search

The Age had GTV9 showing Happy Days the following night at 6.00 The Age - Google News Archive Search

Happy Days ran for a few days before premiering Starting Out on Tuesday 5 April 1983.

1 Like

Nine moved the show around the schedules due to the advent of one-day cricket, particularly in Sydney.

Thanks @TelevisionAU - I originally had Wednesday 30th March as the finale- but then found it listed for the Thursday. I’ll recheck all sources!

1 Like

Mystery solved. At the time I researched those dates, I must have used the weekly listings from The Age, published the previous Thursday. In these listings, The Young Doctors is scheduled for Thursday. Obviously an error and the daily listings are accurate. This also explains why I thought an episode must have been dropped at some point in March, but now realise it wasn’t. (I believe both Sons and Daughters on Seven and Doctors on Nine were pre-empted by bush fire coverage in February though - probably 16th or 17th February).

1 Like

I know this is often quoted, even by the producers of the serial, but very few episodes were pre-empted by cricket, except during the summer non-ratings period when the series was often rested anyway. For the most part the 6pm slot is available during 1983, and filled with comedies like Happy Days. It was obviously a decision by TCN9 to permanently move the show out of that slot. Heck, they even moved The Sullivans to 3.30pm!

1 Like

Was it the same for GTW-11 Geraldton?

They moved The Sullivans? How dare they!

1 Like

23 June 1993: The premiere of Our House and Money launch Nine’s new hour of information and lifestyle programming.

23 June 1994: Former Australian test cricketer Mike Whitney hosts the new series The Innovators (ABC), covering topics that celebrate innovation, ingenuity and inventiveness. The one-hour special The Beatles In Australia: 30th Anniversary (Nine) looks at The Beatles‘ historic tour of Australia in 1964 and features footage from one of the Melbourne concerts.

23 June 2003: The Nine Network revives game show The Price Is Right, with Larry Emdur again as host.

4 Likes

Originally running for an hour in an attempt to take on Seven’s DOND, it was stripped back to 30 minutes in May 2005. Following its cancellation, Larry signed with Seven to try and revive Wheel of Fortune.

1 Like

They marked the start of a new wave of lifestyle shows which continue to this day.

Without the ratings success of Our House and Money, Seven would not have created Better Homes and Gardens, and stripped The Great Outdoors in the 30-minute format.

Didn’t the Great Outdoors start before those two?

3 Likes

The Great Outdoors started 5 February 1993.

IIRC, it became an hour-long show in April 2002 when The Weakest Link was quietly axed. Prior to that it would’ve aired immediately after BH&G on Tuesday nights at 8:00pm leading into All Saints.

1 Like

It could probably be better argued that the “wave” of lifestyle shows in the '90s was triggered by the success of Burke’s Backyard in the late 80s. It wasn’t the first such show, but it was the first to really make the genre commercially successful in prime time and sparked the trend.

1 Like