On This Day

I first saw it on a Ten news report a few weeks prior. The report covered the lavish PR function to launch the upcoming revamp. The report also made mention that while Craig McLachlan was in attendance as part of Neighbours, he had just been announced as leaving the show ( he had signed a deal to go to Seven).

Ten also had newspaper ads on the Saturday with the new logo but it did not launch on air until 7.30pm on Sunday as per my Youtube :wink:

@NewsWeary did TEN10 have the same changeover as Melbourne?

1 Like

The You Tube video you posted is what Sydney got at 7.30pm on that Sunday night but with “Sydney” branding. We’d had the whole “there’s something going on around here” campaign in the lead up to it. I think I saw the print version of the logo in SMH reports about Ten having to go “down market” to increase revenue the week before the launch. I didn’t expect the on air version to be so shockingly garish and gaudy.

3 Likes

The evolution of the 10 TV Australia logo.

11_pm

Vlcsnap-2016-05-11-19h33m43s644

Ten_1990-91

2 Likes

Not just the ugly logo but the dreadfully dull colour scheme it’s like the cigarette packets choosing the colour no one likes

5 Likes

The logo was changed again in 1991 with the “ten” in a circle logo which was popular and lasted until October 31 last year with some variations.

5 Likes

On this day in 1986 every Australian TV channel, with the exception of SBS, was showing the same thing from 8pm.

What were they broadcasting and which network’s coverage topped the ratings?

2 Likes

prince andrews and princess sarahs wedding

Sarah, Duchess of York. She has never been a princess.

Just like Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. She is not a princess either.

The Melbourne papers had this ad on Saturday but The Sunday Telegraph in Sydney had this one on Sunday:

3 Likes

The Thursday night combo of E Street and Murder She Wrote seems particularly strange.

probably just to combat Nine having the same show at the same time… although in this particular week Nine had cricket (Fourth Test) from the UK starting Thursday night.

They are both female skewed shows.

E Street was skewing under 25s
Murder She Wrote was skewing over 55s

2 Likes

Also E Street skewed more more than most other soaps.

Bob Shanks had just taken the show off air for a few weeks to refresh and retool it in light of the poor ratings it was achieving. It had been coming fourth in its slots. They wanted E Street to be holding and building on the same demographic audience the Neighbours lead in was providing.

We all hated the “10 TV Australia” logo when it first launched. Looked like a cigarette package. Big downgrade from the excellent “X TEN” logo

1 Like

Doctors warn that watching 10 TV Australia is a health hazard.

10 Kills. :rofl:

1 Like

as does shifting a daytime soap, Santa Barbara, to 11.00pm and screening a sketch comedy show that dated back to 1980 as its lead-in.

2 Likes

24 July 2014 - THe Glasgow 2014 games opening ceremony was shown on a delayed telecast into Perth. Most other states had the coverage live on TEN. I would have thought that some Perth viewers took to social media venting their anger towards Network TEN with lack of live coverage of the Opening Ceremony from Glasgow. Originally this opening coverage would be shown at 3:30am into Perth but was pushed back to 5:30am. instead, they threw in Home Shopping from 3:30am right through to 5:30am (If i’m not mistaken).

2 Likes