On This Day

Would’ve made things very interesting.

1 Like

December 3 2013 - Analog TV switched off in Sydney and Greater Sydney.

4 Likes

10 years ago on this date, ABC launched their “first” kids multichannel, ABC3 (now ABC ME). It launched with a 1-hour special simulcast on both ABC1 and ABC3, complete with a message from the then-prime minster Kevin Rudd.

On the same day, ABC2 launched their revised kids programming block/semi-multichannel, ABC For Kids On 2 (later ABC4Kids and currently ABC Kids).

I remember watching that simulcast back in '09.

2 Likes

Dec 4 2013–Mal Walden read his last bulletin on 10 News Melbourne before signing off for good. Walden had a phenomenal 52 year career in media. He was replaced by Stephen Quartermain as new anchor for 10 News.
Dec 4, 2014–At the Movies went to air for the final time on ABC after 10 years on air. Margaret Pomeranz And David Stratton thanked viewers for their wonderful effort.
Dec 4, 2016–James Brayshaw quits AFL footy show as host after 10 years on air. Craig Hutchison replaced James Brayshaw as new host.

2 Likes

What effort?

1 Like

“Well Margaret, you wouldn’t know a good movie if it bit you on the bum.”

Thanking people is hard work

4 Likes

For some reason, the main thing I remember about ABC3 launch night (apart from the On-Air Presentation package which if I’m not mistaken, would remain in-use until the ABC ME rebrand) was Nathan Bazley saying “I hope you’re having an amazing day” at the start of the very first News On 3.

It’d be interesting to know where some of the original presenters are these days. Obviously we know about Scott Tweedie, but one I was surprised to see on TV a couple of weeks back was original “Studio 3” presenter Amberley Lobo (seem to recall a post on the old version of Media Spy about how a member of the time had her as a classmate at university or something) on Totally Wild!

4 Likes
1 Like

December 5, 2003 - Ross Symonds and Ann Sanders present Seven News Sydney together for the final time before being replaced by Ian Ross the following Monday.

Adam Digby also finished up with Seven that night, leaving Mark Beretta as the only member from the 6:00pm team going into 2004. He would be replaced by Ten import Matthew White six months later.

1 Like

I hope Ross, Ann and Adam thanked viewers for their support. Will need to look into this to make sure.

4 Likes

Ross and Ann thanked their viewers for the support and loyalty over all those years at the end of the bulletin. Beretts gave them flowers and Ann said “Good luck to Ian, too”.

There was a video of this on YouTube but it has since been taken down.

Relieved

5 Likes

Adam Digby chose not to thank viewers and instead subtly flipped the bird to the camera during the close. Although his mic was not switched on, lip readers could interpret his final message to viewers.

*This may not be a true account of what took place.

3 Likes

5 December 1957: Cover date of the first TV-Radio Week (it became TV Week the following year) in Melbourne. IMT stars Geoff Corke and Val Ruff are on the cover.

tvweek_051257_0004

3 Likes

IIRC, the first edition of TV-Radio Week would be included with a 40th anniversary issue of TV Week in 1997.

1 Like

yes there was a replica in the 40th anniversary issue but some pages were not included in the replica for some reason

2 Likes

The program listings certainly look weird, sorted by starting times rather than channel.

A common format used at the time. Taken from US TV Guide

1 Like
Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter