On This Day

ATN 7, a subsidiary of Fairfax, gets plenty of coverage for the opening night and a ten page supplement in Fairfax’s Sun-Herald detailing programming on the new channel.

1 Like

We should have put out some bunting to celebrate

Notwithstanding the various vested interests that @TelevisionAU points out - I wonder if there was a level of skepticism that the format was also going to be successful being it was expensive and limited in service

1 Like

Mal Walden, I think it was, once mentioned that the Herald and Weekly Times in the early days of TV would starve HSV7 of funds or resources in favour of boosting resources at its newspapers. Newspapers were still the main product it seems but they got into TV just because. And HSV apparently became the first channel in Melbourne to run repeats, such was the limit on spending by its newspaper parent.

Not sure that the same attitude was felt at GTV9, where The Age was only one of several investors.

3 Likes

Its not a surprise - I’d imagine that existing players (newspapers / radio) would have seen it better to be able to ‘guide’ television in a direction that suited the desired outcome at the time (like the HSV7 example)

3 Likes

As posted in the Classic TV Listing thread the Seoul Olympics got underway on this day in 1988.

Looking back, the coverage formed the template for future Australian TV Olympic coverage. We saw dual commentary teams for most events, hosting from a studio at the games, crosses to the Athlete’s village, pool deck and track side interviews with athletes immediately post events and of course the intense concentration on Australians who were competing including multiple replays and celebration of Australian achievements. It set the pattern of coverage for many years along with the promotion of the network’s upcoming line-up.

(BTW that’s Stephen Quartermain)

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Historic News Events

Yeah it aired on Fridays which ruined my Friday 6pm Simpsons fix.

Amazing, someone actually recorded it and uploaded episode 1 to youtube. As bad as I remember it. 14:9 lol

3 Likes

You poor, deprived child. And yet, you somehow managed to survive. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

23 September 2005 – David Johnston presented his last bulletin at Seven News at 4:30. He thanked colleagues for his hard work thanks to the Iraqi Invasion in 2003. Johnston was replaced by Rebecca Maddern.

1 Like

Not quite sure that’s what happened :thinking:

4 Likes

The 4.30pm bulletin started in March 2003 before becoming a standalone bulletin

2 Likes

In 2003, Channel 7 introduced an afternoon bulletin as Target Iraq during extended coverage being presented by David Johnston.

1 Like

24 September 2005–3.4 million metropolitan viewers watched the 2005 AFL Grand Final on TEN between Sydney Swans and West Coast Eagles. Sydney had 1 million viewers watching the match live while Perth had 511k viewers watching the match on TV. This grand final was described as an epic match between these two sides.

24 September 2012–Network TEN launched a datacasting channel, TVSN on Channel 14.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This was the highest rating program in the official ratings period and The 2nd highest rating program in 2005 behind Australian open men’s Final on Channel 7.
I liked these graphics. It is a one step better than the 2002-04 Graphics for 10’s AFL. The game was an epic. Stephen Quartermain, Tim Lane And Huddo called the match.
Andy Maher was in Ireland during the 2005 AFL GF. What was he doing?

2 Likes

Covering the game from an Irish perspective because Sydney Swans player Tadhg Kennelly was playing in it. He became the first Irishman (to my knowledge) to win an AFL premiership medal.

4 Likes

During the final moments of the match, 5 minute warning was applied with Sydney Swans leading West Coast 57-53. This was anyone’s match for the two sides. I could hear Stephen Quartermain’s classic quote as ‘Leo Barry, you star!’ As the Swans sealed an epic win overnight West Coast by 4 point in a nail biter. I sat on the couch watching the match.
Will 5-min warning come back in future?

On This Day, 1993: Australians woke up to find out if Sydney had won its bid to host the 2000 Olympic Games. Seven and Nine both had live coverage from Monte Carlo from around 3.00am to 9.00am AEST, while Ten was live between 2.30am and 5.00am, with updates during the 6.00am repeat of Sports Tonight.

That evening, Nine screened special prime time editions of their Sunday afternoon Footy Shows in Sydney and Melbourne as grand final previews for NRL and AFL respectively. It sort of served as a pilot to the night time Footy Show that began the following year.

3 Likes

Although with the rugby league version of The Footy Show, it’s to my understanding that the Sydney version only ran during the finals series of 1994 before finally being expanded to cover the full football season in 1995.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware of that. I just figured both NRL and AFL versions began concurrently starting in 1994.