Olympics Coverage - History

Unless you live in WA like I do, this was impossible. The opening ceremony did not start until 10:00 AEDT on Friday night, that’s what I was referring to.

Have Seven had a change of heart and not moved the Olympics coverage to 7mate at 5:30 AEDT today in Sydney & Melbourne for Sydney Weekender & A Moveable Feast respectively? They were scheduled for 5:30 today I believe.

1 Like

I can’t believe that show’s still going!

2 Likes

Yeah, they celebrated their 25th Anniversary in last week’s show!!!

I know it’s a past-time to hate on whoever is broadcasting the Olympics, and sometimes that hate isn’t that justified.

But this is pathetic. Right now there is live speed-skating and cross-country skiing, but instead Seven have been showing delayed figure skating for most of the afternoon, and are now showing short track speed skating, also on a delay.

Yes, I know there were cancelled events, yes I know there’s an app, yes I know people want to see an Australian that they may’ve missed. But prioritising delayed coverage over not one, but two live events is pathetic. They currently deserve the criticism they’re getting online and more.

11 Likes

Might be a lot of hate but it’s warranted give your above point.

Now people have to sit through MKR and not watch in HD. Ridiculous scheduling.

2 Likes

It’s the go to sport when there are no Australians competing.

Or just replay the opening ceremony agan.

3 Likes

Looking at the schedule - I dont think it warrants Seven’s coverage to go for the majority of the day especially when Seven arent interested in whats on live, rather specific disciplines or australians competing

1 Like

I switched on the TV at 3pm today to catch an hour of action, saw two delayed team figure skating routines and then had to endure almost half an hour of mindless chatter and filler clips before then going back to delayed figure skating.

Meanwhile they had an MKR repeat playing on 7mate.

They should be using the broadcast to help expose viewers to as many different events as possible to generate traffic on the app rather than expecting people to go looking to find something interesting to watch.

1 Like

It’s not only us copping it. At least 7 is airing 12.5 hours live.

3 Likes

Sarcastic Clap to Seven - they’ve been promoting Britt Cox for 9:30pm tonight - turns out that as she’s already in the final, its not until 11pm

6 Likes

Well why are they still promoting it as coming up at 9:30 right now? Surely Seven can’t be that stupid, they would tell us if she is in the final already I would have thought :confused:

Second qualifying is on at 9.30. 3 Aussies still in that. So 7 will probably air it around midnight…

1 Like

Was originally scheduled then, but this afternoon’s extensive weather delays pushed everything back.

Still, if Seven had still been promoting 9:30pm over the last few hours or so, that’s not good.

Nup - the moguls are running to the original schedule

4 Likes

iam sure the only thing that is live right now is the medal ceremonies and im sure people would get bored of it very easily if 7 were to broadcAST IT

1 Like

So are they doing commentary from Melbourne or Sydney?

It’s hard to tell. Looks like they’re hosting with that Richardson person at the venue and the commentary is probably being done from Melbourne. God knows what seven are doing. It’s all very disjointed and clumsy.

Clearly ten did a better job with Sochi.

2 Likes

Although Ten had some production in Melbourne too.

I can’t believe they allowed Nannes to work on air for ABC yesterday.

I mean, during Athens 2004 I saw Peter Donegan at Safeways on night but that was a bit different.