Olympics Coverage - History

Looking at 7’s watermark - they seem to think they are showing sport. Might be the Olympic stair climbing competition? :crazy_face:

6 Likes

9 Likes

OK. We get the point.

8 Likes

If they wanted to replay the opening ceremony in prime time couldn’t they show it on 7mate or 7two whilst the live sport would take precedence.

7 Likes

5 Likes

Replaying the opening ceremony is an even more insane decision considering it was already shown in prime time the night before.

4 Likes

What is Hamish saying to viewers in that screen cap ? Starts with an F

2 Likes

Haven’t they done it more than twice too? :thinking: They shouldn’t create filler if there are ongoing events currently playing, it shouldn’t matter if Aussies aren’t playing, people watch the Winter Olympics for the Sports events, excluding some from the broadcast because of a lack of Aussies isn’t really a good excuse.

2 Likes

“Fuck anyone to wanted to watch the hockey” or “I want you to think that I’m really cold but I’m really in a studio in front of a screen”?

They had him wearing gloves before and holding a mic. Eddie just put a skivvy on and called it a day.

6 Likes

It’s an even stranger decision when you consider it’s the easiest sporting event in the world to get a HD stream for online, they’re just driving people to alternate means for watching an event they hold the rights to.

Dirk Nannes gets around. Currently special comments on ABC Grandstand from thr MCG and doing moguls for Seven in South Korea.

So how many people do Seven have on the ground in Korea and how many calling off screens in Melbourne?

Olympic Channel News (via 7Olympics app)

Not really sure what this feed is about, just a doco about how they built one of the runs, but anyway…

3 Likes

You just answered your own question.

2 Likes

Looks like seven relying heavily on the world feed. Many Australian voices calling but in reality it’s a little bland. Obviously it’s a way to save money by not providing your own commentators.

WTF are Seven only utilising the main channel? When they have 3 other broadcast channels?

Rio 2016 used 7Two and 7mate, Aus Open even used 7mate.

I get it’s Winter Olympics, but they paid for exclusive rights and should treat it like any other Olympics.

Judging by 7Two, 7mate & 7flix’s shares last night, viewers aren’t that interested in the alternative general programming (movie repeats, etc). It was Opening Ceremony though. However if those channels pull similar (less than 3%, certainly 1%) shares tonight, I think Seven will be regretting not using secondary and tertiary Olympics feeds/channels :unamused:

2 Likes

Pushing people to the app … and hoping they will pay?

3 Likes

Yet given the other events I mentioned and they’ll definitely use 7Two / 7mate for Comm Games and Tokyo 2020…

It’s not just a digital / live streaming ploy.

I reckon Seven just being stingy and cheap being Winter Olympics, of which they’re prioritising MKR anyway :pensive:

1 Like

Not sure if this suits you but the full ceremony can be viewed through 7 Olympics app/website

1 Like

thank you this helps deeply

To be fair, it wasn’t exactly in prime time for eastern states viewers last night being later at night when some people may have gone to sleep. I did see some comments on social media asking for Seven to replay the opening ceremony in full because they missed parts of it last night.

Seven probably only want to show events with Aussies in them because it would be impossible for them to show every event and they would get slammed then for favouring one country over another in their Olympics coverage. To avoid this, they just show events Australians are involved in. After all, that’s all we should care about in Australia.