Olympics Coverage - History

Having watched the first half of the Seven coverage then the last half now of the BBC coverage really does show how high the standards are here in the UK. Great hosts, sets, banter and coverage.

Few pics, apologies for quality but you get the idea. Probably the best backdrop ever for an Olympic live studio (studio on Copa beach)

2 Likes

ESPN has NBA rights but there’s still a package of games which One HD had when it was a 24/7 sports network which hasn’t been picked up since. They were the Thursday night (Friday afternoon in Australia) games that TNT shows

Seven should use the Winter Olympics in South Korea in 2018 to refresh its Olympic coverage and fix up the errors of its coverage of Rio Games, in preparation for Tokyo 2020.
Speaking of technologically advanced, it’s even possible that the opening and closing ceremonies of Pyeongchong 2018 will be produced in 4K, however there will only be a dozen countries which has capacity to show the 4K coverage to local viewers. I doubt it will include Australia.
I think Seven will again use three channels to show the Winter Olympics. By then the main channel will be 24/7 HD channel, but will it gain an extra HD channel for either 7TWO or 7mate? Given the Winter Olympics coincide with the start of official ratings I think Seven will keep showing My Kitchen Rules during the fortnight.

1 Like

The difference of course with the Winter Olympics is with much fewer events there are actually some gaps in the schedule, so 7 could probably afford to dip out. I’d be surprised if they used all 3 channels though simultaneously for a Winter Games, though may use a third when 7 switch to other programming.

One thing I’ve never understood with Seven is how they can’t decide whether 7Two or 7Mate is their overspill channel for sport. You’d think by the profile it would be 7Mate (especially when it was in HD), but they tend to favour 7Two.

2 Likes

Handball! At 9.44 pm, 37 seconds of highlights from the semis.

2 Likes

These are just shots off my plasma, but you can still see what’s happening in the ‘walking’. The rules are that at least one foot has to be on the road at all times, but it seems that doesn’t always happen. This is the first sport I would be axing.

3 Likes

They are allowed a bit of leeway in that rule I think

1 Like

They are giving them a lot of leeway today.

Remember they are being judged by officials along the race track and according to Wikipedia Athletes regularly lose contact for a few milliseconds per stride, which can be caught on film, but such a short flight phase is said to be undetectable to the human eye.

3 Likes

All these comments are vaild, but we have to remember…

Ch 7 have always been the home of the Olympics (and Bruce) :grin:

Well done Jarred Tallent with the silver medal!

2 Likes

Actually… incorrect, on both counts.

7 Likes

Barcelona, Atlanta and Sydney were Seven’s Olympic glory days.

4 Likes

Probably show Sunrise and replay the gold medal match 6hrs later. Can’t interrupt Sunrise!

1 Like

Dennis Cometti owned the swimming commentary during the 1990’s & 2000

1 Like

No!
1984 and 1988 the games were on 10 and Bruce worked for 10 in those days.
In 2012 the games were on nine. In the 80s and 90s the winter games were on 9 until 7 first aired winter James from Nagano in combination with fox sports in 1998. Nine aired Vancouver 2010 and ten aired Sochi 2014.

So Seven haven’t ALWAYS aired the Olympics.

6 Likes

Seven execs will be tearing their hair out with the Boomers being thrashed by Serbia and a ratings bonanza for the gold medal game slipping through their fingers. At half time the Boomers have scored a measly 14 points.

3 Likes

Bruce in 1988

9 Likes

Perhaps in your short lifetime…

The old X logo which is the Roman Numeral for 10 back in the old days.

2 Likes