Olympics Coverage - History

And will be 7am in East Coast USA, so pretty unlikely that will happen.

I think it’s more likely it will be more along the lines of London with day time finals. Probably 10am on Tokyo, so 11am AEST and 9pm US Eastern.

Unfortunately it won’t happen. The US will get it in their primetime as they have the most money to spend on it - and are the country that cares the most about swimming.

1 Like

It has already been confirmed the swimming finals will take place in the morning, Tokyo time, to ensure they’re broadcast in prime time in the US. This occurred in Beijing too.

1 Like

I don’t understand why 7mate had to replay last week’s men’s basketball match between Australia and USA tonight, when it had so many other events from overnight to choose from, such as volleyball, wrestling, table tennis and badminton.

3 Likes

http://itsalmo.st/#finished_1bavq

1 Like

They love the repeats. We get to see Australia v Belarus again! Yippee.

Not sure if mentioned but the BBC Studio in Copacobana beach is sensational. Backdrop is to die for.

If only Seven were there!

5 Likes

Yep, and what makes it even worse is that there is an empty studio right next door which the BBC has been using as a make-up room.

1 Like

This?

Some more above

2 Likes

One and a half hours spent watching the Aussie lead the 10km open water marathon and right as he is about to be overtaken 7 go to a long commercial break. By the time coverage resumes he has slipped to 5th. It’s the equivalent of cutting to a commercial with 100m to go in the Melbourne Cup. Diabolical coverage.

6 Likes

Stop giving them ideas.

7 Likes

Yes

Looks better during the day with the sand and beach backdrop

This is the copyright warning that Seven broadcast in association with their Atlanta Olympic coverage in 1996. It came with an American accented v/o.

8 Likes

Does anyone know the copyright split between the International Olympic Committee and individual broadcasters? I know the IOC holds copyright for all on-field competitions, medal presentations, and opening and closing ceremonies, but do the broadcasters retain copyright for studio broadcasts and interviews with athletes etc?

1 Like

Another programming brain freeze with golf on now while the women’s platform diving preliminaries are in progress. It’s only round 1, so there’s going to be three more days of golf getting in the way. It never occurred to me when golf was added to the Games that it would become the bane of the TV coverage.

2 Likes

Think you’ve got that right. The broadcasters can basically show footage in the calendar year of the games, so from 1st Jan you normally see clips from previous games and content posted during the games usually available until the 31st Dec.

What time does Mel host until? She usually starts around 10pm AEST

I’ve notice that Todd is hosting on 7TWO as well possibly until 9am

I haven’t noted the time of the switch-over, but she’s there for a few hours. Maybe till 2 am?

Going into the fourth quarter of the Australia v Lithuania basketball this morning, Seven came back from the ad break with the MEGAWALL, so the basketball was squashed into the left top corner. When it eventuality went full screen the quarter had already started yet Mel McLaughlin still kept talking for about 30 seconds about other stuff, it was annoying that she kept talking. There have been lots of instances like this where Seven has just not done a good enough job.

Mel calls Eleanor Patterson “Pattinson”, corrects it, then calls her Pattinson again a few minutes later,

Now the triathlon has started, why is there a 5-8th place water polo game on 7Mate while Patterson is trying to qualify in the high jump? God, they make some nutty decisions.

Bad news. Minjee Lee is leading the golf.

Mel just said “Pattinson” again.