Olympics Coverage - History

Idiots. Thorpe was actually pretty good as an analyst for the BBC’s coverage of the London Olympics

1 Like

And particularly insightful as an analyst on Ten’s comm games coverage from Glasgow,

He was quite a polished performer. Seven are strange.

1 Like

Probably signed Hackett up instead :confused:

2 Likes

###Road to Rio

Midday every Saturday from 28 May until the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

It’s less than 80 days to go until the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, and Seven’s new weekly program Road to Rio will start the journey for Australian sport fans as we become inspired and fall in love with our Olympians.

With 10,000 athletes, 200 member nations, 42 sports, and 306 gold medals to be awarded at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, there are countless stories and narratives to unfold over the next three months.

Road to Rio, a live, weekly half hour panel show every Saturday, will feature the best of our athletes and their stories, introductions to the fresh faces on our Olympic team, a look back at the great moments in Olympic history and all the latest news from home and overseas as Australia’s team for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games takes shape.
Special guests and experts include Olympics ‘mastercaster’ Bruce McAvaney, four-time Olympian Lauren Jackson, the ‘voice of cycling’ Phil Liggett, gold medallist Steve Hooker, Sydney 2000 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony flag bearer Andrew Gaze, Oarsome Foursome’s Drew Ginn, and three-time Commonwealth Games gold medallist Tamsyn Lewis.

A rotating panel of co-hosts includes Johanna Griggs, Mel McLaughlin, Jim Wilson, Kylie Gillies, Mark Beretta, Ryan Phelan and Giaan Rooney.

4 Likes

Southern Cross Austereo announced as the official FM radio broadcaster of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, under a new partnership with Seven Network

Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) and the Seven Network – which has a long-term partnership with the International Olympic Committee encompassing all broadcast, radio, online and digital rights for coverage of the Olympic Games - today announced that SCA will be the official commercial FM radio broadcaster of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio, in an exclusive partnership.

Leading the way, from August 6 - August 22, the Triple M Network will capture the excitement, emotion and energy from Rio with a broadcast of selected events from Seven’s multiple broadcast and streaming channel coverage across the Games period. In addition, SCA will create a new bespoke DAB+ digital radio channel called ‘7 Rio Live’ which will run live audio simulcast of the events coverage from 5:30am to 1pm AEST each day.

With the added ability to share Seven’s broadcast across 78 SCA stations, including the Hit Network and regional LocalWorks radio stations more than 95% of Australians will be able to tune in to hear Games coverage.
Involving 42 sports, comprising of 306 events at 37 venues, and 206 countries, the Games are by far the biggest sporting event in the world and will attract listeners from all around Australia to the SCA network, giving them the ability to be one step closer to the action.

SCA CEO Grant Blackley said, “I’m thrilled that SCA is entering into this partnership with the Seven Network. With the largest radio reach in Australia and a bespoke digital radio channel called “7 Rio Live”, all Australians regardless of where they are, will be able to get the best audio coverage of all the action in Rio.”

Seven West Media Chief Revenue Officer Kurt Burnette said, “We are delighted to be in a partnership with Southern Cross Austereo to deliver the Olympic Games to all Australians, no matter where they are, in and out of home, across the day. This new venture is also an Australian first, with the Olympic Games Television broadcast streamed live to Radio. It underlines our commitment to innovation and partnerships that deliver for audiences and our marketing partners across all media platforms.”

The digital radio simulcast is a first for Australian coverage of the Olympics. Will it cover the main channel broadcast only (which includes Olympic Sunrise)? Will Triple M be able to stream Seven’s Olympic broadcast on the websites of its four radio stations? Will there be deals for AM stations (ABC and 2GB covered the London Olympics in 2012)?

Does this mean what I think it means?

Thankfully it’s not exclusive so an AM station can hopefully provide some real coverage.

Sounds to me like they’ll just be taking audio on the main channel so they could throw to the 100m final on the track live if they wanted or if an Aussie was about to win gold in the pool etc. Would work well for The Grill Team shows

1 Like

Has anyone got the latest Olympics promo running in HD? I haven’t been able to catch it and record it on 7HD.
Would appreciate it, need it for a mock… :slight_smile:

I saw the first promo for the Rio Paralympic Games on Friday night and it was in HD.

Yeah I feel the usual one they have had running has been on 7HD.
If anyone has got one it’d be much appreciated :smiley:

All this talk about 7HD is making me wish that I had it* rather than 7mate HD here in Sydney…

*Yes, I know that the LCN name is “7HD Sydney” but the content sure doesn’t match it right now. Hopefully things will be changed by Olympics time, but I doubt it…

3 Likes

Me too mate! There’s been a few movies showing on 7 that’d I’ve said to myself, I wish we had HD simulcast of 7 rather than 7mate. I’m also in Sydney.

2 Likes

The Australian reporting that Seven will be the first FTA network to charge for its sports content

Rio Olympics: Seven to launch paid subscription service

The subscription service will be available through a Seven Olympics app and cost about $20 to $25 for the two-week event, which commences with the ­opening ceremony on August 5.

It will allow viewers to watch any sporting event from start to finish, with 3000 hours of live content available across the Games. Seven will broadcast and stream about 1000 hours of free content.

Maybe 7 will use 7 Flix to air the Olympics in blurry MPEG2 SD available to everyone ! . Then they can say look the audience share for 7 Flix has grown to the highest ever lol.

Seriously though, hopefully the Olympics airs on 7 HD everywhere .

1 Like

The ads on 7 indicate its 7, 7Two and 7mate that will air the Olympic coverage. 7flix may benefit from ratings if 7 were smart and put all their regular soaps and serials on there for the 2 weeks. Even if they don’t people who dislike sport could tune in.

3 Likes

So basically at this point Melbourne/Geelong and Adelaide (5.5million people) will get the Olympics in HD on 7HD - the rest of the nation (18.5 million) will not?

5 Likes

Everyone else would still get whatever coverage airs on 7mate. That’s unless of course things change between now and then which it definately should

2 Likes

I agree.

Hopefully, Seven’s main channel will be in HD for at least all O&O markets (rather than just Melbourne and Adelaide) by Olympics time although at least 7mate will be airing some HD Olympics coverage.

But the best coverage of the best events will be on 7 - and on 5.5 million people in two markets have access to 7HD.

1 Like