Olympics Coverage - History

A young Kylie Gillies there.

1 Like

And a young Mel Doyle. And Mike Amor. And Ann Sanders…

5 Likes

Great memories of that night.

1 Like

Yep, I cannot believe it’s been 20 years. The world was so different at this time. (A lot better)

2 Likes

Content from Day 16 and closing ceremony of the 2004 Olympics on Seven.

Return to and from ad break:

Logo animation:

Sponsor board:

Set:

Other graphics:

7 Sport closer animation:

Ident: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K5Ej4TIHQA

7 Likes

Nothing better than Olympics history, especially coverage history. Bring back Beretts, Andrew Daddo & Kyle Gillies as host, a bit of history there. Not these new no names AKA the cricketers 7 have for Tokyo.

Also, while we’re at it, bring back the suit jackets with the 7 Olympics emblem on it.

Ahhh.

6 Likes

Sandy Roberts presenting from Docklands in Melbourne during the 2004 Olympics

5 Likes

seven will probley do something tomorrow for Sydney 2000 20 years thay shood put the olimpic rings on the logo

4 Likes

Great additions.
I remember Seven and SBS having the same sets for Athens.

4 Likes

While I’m happy that we’ve got almost excellent access to the Olympic archives on YouTube these days, which is usually just the standard default clean international feed…it just isn’t the same without the individual broadcaster’s coverage and commentary, which inevitably gets blocked when you try and upload highlights.

3 Likes

Compare the two - one sucks, the other is great

https://youtu.be/HQi9w5nV-L8?t=411

https://youtu.be/dQQt0eTknxY?t=190

Yeah, it’d be great to see (or more to the point, hear) Seven’s commentary of the 2000 Olympics Opening/Closing Ceremonies and other key events again one day.

I’m sure - or at least hope - that Seven’s 2000 Olympics coverage/commentary still exists somewhere in a TV/AV archive given its from the relatively recent past and of such significance to Australia’s sporting/cultural history. I’d probably guess the storage format of choice would’ve been Digital Betacam since that seemed to be popular in the TV industry from about the mid-late 1990s and during the early part of this century, before more recent tapeless formats took over.

But unfortunately, there’s probably all sorts of legal red tape which would probably prevent the general public from ever seeing/hearing the Seven coverage and commentary of Sydney 2000 in full again…at least in the foreseeable future.

1 Like

I know someone posted on YouTube the last 2 days of Seven’s torch relay coverage. Unfortunately though the IOC blocked the videos last year

2 Likes

The Olympic Channel uploads a clean feed from the host broadcaster with no commentary. Watching with no commentary isn’t the same.

3 Likes

HG was on The Project tonight and they included som clips from The Dream

Video includes other Sydney Olympic highlights.

I loved the reaction from international visitors to Roy and HG, particularly the Americans. Nobody knew what to make of them but they quickly caught onto the joke and became fans. I remember them being featured on NBC Today during the two weeks they were broadcasting from Homebush.

4 Likes

From The Morning Show yesterday:

And Ann sanders was wearing her Olympic pin:

4 Likes

A trip down memory lane. There’s a two part video on YouTube uploaded for a few years of “The Dream”

Discussed on Media Watch tonight that Seven does not have the rights to replay past Olympic content - even Sydney when it was the host broadcaster. IOC holds all rights and all broadcasters must pay for use outside of fair use provisions on straight news.

8 Likes

Videos have been removed from YouTube from time to time due to copyright