Olympics Coverage - History

Week 1 of “The Dream”

Week 2 of “The Dream”

4 Likes

Did affiliates get a rebranded version of this opener from the Sydney Olympics?

4 Likes
3 Likes

Video credit YouTube/CM1

Colour footage of the lighting of the cauldron during the 1956 Olympics

2 Likes

Does anyone have a list of the presenters/commentators for the Channel Ten games (Sochi along with Glasgow/Delhi Comm Games) and Channel Nine games (Vancouver and London)?

2 Likes

Nine’s London 2012 Commentators

1 Like

The London 2012 games were best remembered for Nine’s bad coverage of it, too much swimming (replaying Australian heats and finals almost endlessly), too much sports with Aussies competing and not enough of other sports. You had to either get Foxtel to watch many other sports, the other option is to use a VPN, set it to the UK and watch the coverage on the BBC iPlayer. The latter option I did watch, even though the commentators are pro-Team GB it was much better than sitting through Nine’s coverage. Since then the BBC has blocked VPN access of iPlayer.

1 Like

Does anyone have any screen caps from the London Channel Nine coverage? Supers, set etc? I am trying to create a portfolio collection of Olympic and Commonwealth Games coverage including graphics, sets, presenting/commentating team and coverage but both Channel Nine London 2012 and Vancouver 2010 (along with Melbourne 2006) I am struggling to find anything other than intros.

Would like to see Nine’s Vancouver 2010 set

I was 7 years old then so remember absolutely nothing apart from the opening ceremony being on tv one night- that is it!

There are photos on the Sydney Olympic Park Facebook story of Mark Beretta there filming for the upcoming specials. In the background on the big screen you can see what appears to be Beretts presenting coverage of the games. They’ve also used the old channel 7 logo.

4 Likes

Sweet. I love this level of detail when it comes to revisiting past broadcasts.

4 Likes

‘The Dream’ was/is legendary!

They should definitely bring it back for Tokyo 2021 (from the IBC) especially given the favourable Timezone.

2 Likes

Great memories. Specials are planned in September too

1 Like

I suspect their use of the Olympic rings might get them in trouble with the IOC. I’ve heard they are particularly anal about them, even when it’s historically correct.

1 Like

No issue at all in the context they’re being used here.

The BBC replayed London 2012 this weekend - was great to take us back to the finest sporting moment of my lifetime. They’ve also had highlights of Beijing last week and Rio next week - a shame they didn’t go back a bit further as the Sydney games are a strong sporting memory for me too.

Opening to Seven’s Atlanta coverage on the day of the Centennial Park bombing.

1 Like

Adolf Hitler’s film maker Leni Riefenstahl’s made a two part Nazi Germany propoganda documentary feature film about the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. The first part here, Olympia 1: Festival of Nations documents the sporting events. This of course predated widespread television broadcasts. Of note is that the performance of USA athlete Jesse Owens is highlighted.

1 Like

Beretts on 96FM explaining the near-disasters during the Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony. No cue during the “Welcome” segment and Nikki Webster almost didn’t starred that night.

1 Like

Try this link: