Olympics Coverage - History

They also used Ernie Dingo for parts of the ceremony. Looking at the credits from the closing ceremony it may have been Kylie Gillies that was the other voice but could be wrong.

During the games the callers and analysts used were:
Bruce McAvaney
Sandy Roberts
Dennis Cometti
Richard Aggiss (men’s Hockey)
John Alexander (Tennis)
Phil Anderson (Road Cycling)
Andrew Baildon (Swimming)
Raelene Boyle (Track and Field)
Gordon Bray
Sharon Buchanan (Women’s Hockey?)
Joe Bugner (Boxing)
John Casey
Liz Chetkovich (Gymnastics)
David Christison
Lord Sebastian Coe (Track and Field)
Dave Culbert (Track and Field)
Rob de Castella (Marathon/race walking, still pumping out the 5km at a slower and steadier pace based on a month ago in Port Macquarie)
Mike Cockerill (Football)
Chris Dittmar
Sean Farquhar (Beach Volleyball?)
Steve Foley (Diving)
David Fordham
Wally Foreman
Linley Frame (Swimming)
Lucinda Green (Equestrian)
Nick Green (Rowing)
Jon Harker
Trevor Hendy (Kayak/Canoe)
Anthony Hudson
Peter Landy (final assignment prior to retirement)
Steven Lee (not sure what a skiier brings to a summer games)
Joyce Lester (Softball)
Phil Liggett
Dean Lukin (Weightlifting)
Phil Lynch (Basketball)
Chris Maitland (?)
Drew Morphett
Rob Mundle (Sailing)
Lyn Palmer (?)
Richard Pengelley (?)
Mark Shipley (Baseball)
Alex Smith (?)
Phil Smyth (Basketball)
Allan Stone (Tennis)
Mike Turtur (Track Cycling)
Paul Wade (Football)
Greg Welch (Triathlon)
Pat Welsh
Sharan Wheelock (?)
Garry Wilkinson
Paul Williams

and not forgetting HG Nelson and Roy Slaven

At least 5 of them are no longer with us (Morphett, Fordham, Foreman, Cockerill, Williams)

4 Likes

I am sure that the general consensus amongst most people who grew up here is that Sydney peaked during the 2000 Olympics. After that, most people generally agree that there have been issues with housing prices and population (though in most other respects we’re still great).

I was 5 at the time, but I still remember the torch relay, the general spirit during the time. I don’t think you’ll find anyone in Sydney who says that it was a failure, or not worth it.

We sure did spend a lot of money on facilities, but almost all of them are still in use today and I reckon it was money well spent. I hope that Sydney will hold another Olympics during my lifetime. I’d expect it to be at least another 40 years away, though. Remember that it took Tokyo 60 years to get another go.

A bit of a shame I wasn’t old enough to get out with friends and properly experience those few weeks, but you can definitely tell that Sydney peaked around that time.

I’d characterise Sydney’s past 30 years as the following:

1990-2000 - the build up to the Olympics
2000-2010 - doldrums
2010-2020 - population explosion, skyrocketing property prices, infrastructure unable to cope

2 Likes

Especially compared to other cities which have seen many of their Olympic facilities abandoned post-games with Athens and Rio being particularly sad stories.

Mind you, the Sydney 2000 legacy has probably also been helped by the fact that the city needed a modern sporting and entertainment hub for the 21st Century. I really don’t think we would’ve had a successful bid if it was decided that Olympic Park should’ve been based around existing facilities in Moore Park rather than the modern site built around Homebush that we actually got.

Being of a similar age I share your sentiments, but at the same time think we’ll see South East Queensland and even Melbourne (well it is 64 years since their Olympics, most of Melbourne’s current population either wasn’t alive or would’ve only been very young last time) get the games before a 2nd opportunity for Sydney - fair enough too.

Has the Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony ever been reshown on Australian television.

I know here in the UK the BBC have reshown the London 2012 Ceremony at least twice and will be showing it again this summer. Would never be a better opportunity for Seven to repeat the Sydney opening too, along with some highlights from the games.

1 Like

There was a replay on Seven to mark one year since the games, but after that I’m not sure.

Personally I think it would be great to see a replay of the Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony to mark 20 years since the event in September.

5 Likes

While the Sydney 2000 Opening Ceremony made me feel proud to be Australian, I rate the Barcelona 1992 and Los Angeles 1984 ceremonies as the most memorable/spectacular I’ve seen. Wouldn’t mind watching both of those again to see if they’re as good as I remember. Moscow 1980 also sticks in my mind but that’s probably because its the first one I recall watching.

2 Likes

The Sydney Olympics were also the last to be around the breakeven point financially. After that hosting prices really skyrocketed as more security was required after 9/11.

As for the Games themselves, I remember the excitement in the air at the time, but also, as many Sydneysiders were, I was worried about the public transport and all our infrastructure breaking down.

That almost everything went smoothly was a huge relief to all.

My family and friends didn’t get tickets to any of the marquee events, but I did go to a few rounds of the field hockey and volleyball. I think I may have seen some tennis too.

2 Likes

Barcelona 1992 raised the bar for future Olympic Games Ceremonies

1 Like

There was also a replay prior to the Athens Opening Ceremony in 2004.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind if Seven replays something from the great Sydney Olympics. The Opening and Closing Ceremonies are a given. Plus a special package from the rest of the Olympics (and not just Cathy Freeman’s race)

I hope that seven replays The Dream with roy and HG (and Fatso) also :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does the Olympic Channel on 7Plus ever play opening and closing ceremonies or just past events?

Yes in the lead up to games such as youth, winter and summer Olympics

2 Likes

Yes this ceremony was brilliant. I still have it on VHS somewhere.

1 Like

You can watch it on the Olympic Channel direct via the website and a dedicated 24/7 Ceremonies channel.

and from memory the main national sponsors of the telecast were Toyota, ANZ Bank, Bridgestone and McDonalds.

3 Likes

Ten aired the 1988 Seoul Summer Olympics with Bruce McAvaney and Mike Gibson fronting the coverage.

2 Likes
2 Likes

So in the next cycle for the Olympics we have a bumper schedule of Aussie involved multi sport events
Pacific Games
2021 Summer Olympic Games- Tokyo, Japan (Channel Seven)
2021 Summer Paralympic Games- Tokyo, Japan (Channel Seven)
2022 Winter Olympic Games- Beijing, China
2022 Winter Paralympic Games- Beijing, China
2022 World Games- Birmingham, USA
2022 Commonwealth Games- Birmingham, England
2022 Asian Games- Hangzhou, China
2023 Pacific Games- Honiara, Samoa
2024 Summer Olympic Games- Paris, France
2026 Summer Paralympic Games- Paris, France

4 Likes

Think you meant 2024 there.

There’s also the 2026 Commonwealth Games which Adelaide is bidding on.

This is a thread for Olympics coverage history. Leave the discussion on future events elsewhere please

3 Likes