Olympics Coverage - History

Mel calls Eleanor Patterson “Pattinson”, corrects it, then calls her Pattinson again a few minutes later,

Now the triathlon has started, why is there a 5-8th place water polo game on 7Mate while Patterson is trying to qualify in the high jump? God, they make some nutty decisions.

Bad news. Minjee Lee is leading the golf.

Mel just said “Pattinson” again.

There’s only endless repeats on the horse racing channel overnight until about 12:00pm. I think they could have utilised it for fourth Olympics channel from 9:00pm til 12:00pm.

She was doing this last week too with another colleague. So unprofessional.

For some reason, she’s a sacred cow - apparently highlighting her many continual faults is ‘unrelenting criticism’. You’d think she had a segment on local radio, rather than presenting the national Olympic coverage. If anything, her awfulness has been swept under the rug until now.

1 Like

I doubt they are allowed to touch Racing.com.au but certainly 7flix should be included next time around.

2 Likes

Does Seven publish what events it intends to put on each channel, or do I have to record them all if I want to go back to a normal sleep pattern before next week? For tonight the EPG for the main channel mentions a couple of events but the other two don’t.

There is an Olympic Schedule thread on this forum which indicates the events that may be shown on each channel. Seven’s Olympic streaming site also has a schedule page.

The schedule thread doesn’t say what will be on which channel. I already have a schedule of events. The website isn’t responding for me atm, but I’m guessing it doesn’t have a channel schedule either. So it’s all three channels to record then.

2 Likes

They say a sport will be on one channel but then swap channels after its started. They did that with the gymnastics, and have done it with basketball.

1 Like

One of the many criticisms I’ve heard about this Olympic coverage. Viewers are having to cycle through three channels to find sports, not able to predict which one certain sports will land on and seemingly random scheduling plus changing channels half way though.

Although they do some switching, some events have been pretty consistent, such as equestrian on 7Two and golf on 7Mate. They probably know now where they’ll put many events tonight. If so, they should say.

Coverage has improved but not perfect with 7 using 7Two and 7mate to show different events with all major events such as the swimming and athletics finals simulcast on the main channel in HD.

For the next Olympics in Tokyo, 7 should team up with SBS to provide comprehensive FTA coverage of the Olympics.

Next Olympics will be even more technologically advanced with streaming and due to the time zone we will stream whatever we want on our big screens and not worry about sevens main channel coverage. Flicking between streams needs to be easier and no auto play ads once your are in.

2 Likes

Yes, you need to be able to easily stream the content on your television, which I couldn’t do as there was no Samsung app and Seven’s live streams didn’t work. My work around was mirroring my phone via USB to my laptop then a HDMI cable to the television - it works but is less than satisfactory.

It’s not just 7 making mistakes with the Tally.
This was just on the ABC

7 Likes

The Olympics is a ‘festival’ of sport. Any coverage which doesn’t capture that spirit, fails in my opinion. The relatively obscure sports you see once every four years are part of the appeal.

They started off well with their coverage. There were even table tennis and indoor volleyball highlights on the first night.

All downhill from then. Endless repetitive coverage of rugby, basketball and golf.

Who the hell wants to watch 2 weeks of pool matches for rugby between countries that don’t even play the sport? Or watch hours of not top level golfers? Or France v Japan in the basketball?

No variety. Failed to capture the festival spirit of the Games. Big fail. And the ratings prove it.

4 Likes

Oh and when your big stars presenting it are Hamish and Mel McLaughlin…urgh.

1 Like

Add to that presenting from a studio in Redfern rather than Rio… Failed to capture so called festival of sport on so many levels. Disappointing.

3 Likes

7 presented from Melbourne during Athens but were in Beijing in 2008

1 Like

How about a ticker with 3 bands in red, orange and blue with times for events coming up? Obviously not too big given all the commotion made about the sunrise graphics…

Anyond know what Seven are going to go with Sunrise on Monday given the gold medal men’s basketball game is scheduled for 4.45am with a very strong chance the Boomers will be involved. With the massive morning figures for the pool game between the Boomers and the Dream Team I wonder if Seven would consider picking up the NBA to air on 7mate.

1 Like