@Damo You mean programme classifications?
By mid-1989, as broadcasting was deregulated in New Zealand, we were introduced to new programme classifications: G, PGR and AO (based on Australia’s until September 1993).
Aline Sandilands, TVNZ’s general manager of public relations at the time, replied to one viewer as published in the “Letters” section of the NZ Listener (15 July 1991):
The system of programme classification and what time each classification can play was established by a working party which included representatives from TVNZ and TV3.
The recommended structure was then submitted to and accepted by the Broadcasting Standards Authority.
Classifications and where they can play are as follows:
G (General) may be screened at any time;
PGR (Parental Guidance Recommended) recommended for screening between 9am and 4pm weekdays and after 7pm until 6am;
AO (Adults Only) recommended for screening between midday and 3pm on weekdays (except during school and public holidays) and after 8.30pm until 5am.
By the end of 1991, the screening of PGR programmes between 9am-4pm was extended to weekends and the timebands/classifications had remained unchanged since.
That was until 1 May 2020 when the timebands and classifications were changed to a common system for free-to-air television, subscription television and on-demand services. Classifications are as follows:
- G (approved for general viewing) and PG (parental guidance recommended for younger viewers) may be screened at any time;
- M (suitable for mature audiences 16 years and over) recommended for screening between 9am-3pm weekdays (except during school and public holidays) and after 7.30pm until 5am;
- 16 (people under 16 years should not view) recommended for screening after 8.30pm until 5am; and
- 18 (people under 18 years should not view) recommended for screening after 9.30pm until 5am.
The following descriptor codes (audience advisories) may be added for programmes classified PG or higher:
- C: Content may offend
- L: Language may offend
- V: Contains violence
- S: Sexual content may offend