NZ TV History

These two remind me of political party logos!

I actually quite like this one.

2 Likes

This was the one I saw when I was able to pick up TV1 in Melbourne, it came through on Channel 0 here.

2 Likes

Wow, how were you able to do that?

Literally just turned on the TV and while flicking channels it just appeared. We had no special antenna just an old 1960s vintage antenna on the roof. Must have been ideal atmospheric conditions conducive to bouncing those low frequency signals back to earth. The picture was a bit fuzzy but was colour and perfectly watchable. It only lasted maybe an hour or so before it disappeared, not to be seen again.

We also used to occasionally get a fuzzy reception of TVQ0 from Brisbane. Not really watchable but enough to make out what it was.

5 Likes

NZ TV channels have always had horrid logos

3 Likes

Channel 1 NZ was roughly the same frequency as Channel 0 Australia and both were very susceptible to spE reception.

4 Likes

Probably Wellington, TVOne was ‘our’ Channel 1, ‘your’ Channel 0, and would have had an output large enough to reach Australia, given the right atmospheric conditions.

There used to be a fair bit of trans-tasman propagation, particularly in the 60’s and 70’s where transmitters weren’t so numerous and television was a bit of a novelty still.
The ABC was often reported on being seen in Canterbury back then, I guess it could have been either of the east coast Channel 2’s?

@PaddyTePou, that TV One logo 1982-87… is that missing the horizontal line on the bottom of the N (right hand side), or was it like that? I can’t remember that one terribly well, but I do remember the TV2 logo of the same era… my brother had a sticker of it on his bedhead… next to a What Now? one!

@TVHead, I dunno, I quite liked these ones…

4 Likes

:thinking::thinking::thinking: Just thinking…

1 Like

I think I may have asked this before but I have forgotten the answer. How did TV4 come about? Because it was related to TV3 IIRC but did the government just decide to give them a 2nd licence or what happened?

1 Like

Australia Channel O: 46.5 MHz
New Zealand Channel 1: 45.5 MHz

In Sydney, it was either the Te Aroha or Hedgehope TVOne Ch1 transmitters that made it across to that part of the world. The Wellington one not as much. TV2 Ch1 from Hikurangi north of Auckland was also a regular visitor.

2 Likes

Only the cube C4 logo looks any good.

1 Like

It’s a good question. I’m not sure if they (TV3) always had the ability to trigger a second licence from when they entered the market or if it was a separate thing.

1 Like

You didn’t need licenses or warrants as such after the 1989 reforms, all you needed was a frequency. TV3 (TV3 Network Services) juggled some of theirs and I suppose they must have bought more off the govt to establish TV4… which is why it only reached 75% of the population. Places like Taranaki and Westland didn’t get the channel until digital TV came along.

I might have a poke around what data I have and see if I can figure out what they shifted etc to make it work…

Poking done, it seems that TV3 only needed a few changes of Frequency to fit TV4 in, so they would have probably arranged with RSM the new frequencies, given others would move; mainly in Wellington, a few tweaks so Ruru could beam 3 northwards on 10 and southwards on 9, and a minor shuffle up north.

It looks like TV3 had a few adjacent licenses they’d never actually used, which were cancelled c1996-97. The Nelson/Tasman region is interesting, I’m not sure if TV3 used VHF 11 before TV4 started - TV3 also broadcast from Grampians, just above Nelson itself, so may have had enough coverage from that?

From the map you can see, Taupo, Taranaki, Gisborne, Westland and the Southern Lakes areas hadn’t audiences big enough to broadcast too… I imagine Timaru only got it because it was easy to broadcast across the Canterbury Plains.

2 Likes

Yep, true. My bad, I was stuck in the early 60’s, before those sites went live!

Yep, To put it graphically;

Certainally enough overlap to see a picture, fine tune your set and carry on watching after NZ’s TV stations went to bed. In fact, the same thing happened with radio in the 1920’s & 30’s; people would stay up after local radio finished for the night and listen in to Australian ones.

3 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up.

For anyone to answer.
Question 1: So, what FM Radio system did New Zealand adopt?
Question 2: Could have been able to receive Audio off set of the Lower Band Channels, like you in Australia?
Question 3: Could Australian TV be received over in New Zealand via Tropo?

1 Like

Issues

Give Us a Clue

@OnAir @TV4 @nztv @NZBC @medianz Just spotted two New Zealand made television programmes as seen in the 1994 film “Once Were Warriors” - Issues and Give Us a Clue. Both of which were broadcast on TV3 (now Three) during 1993 and Geoff Steven was a network executive at the time.

Issues was a sketch show where a comedy team of amateur newscasters dug into the peculiarities of New Zealand society. The 1993 cast included Liz Mullane, Peter Rowley, Alison Wall, Mark Wright, Willy de Wit, Jon Gadsby and Pio Terei.

Give Us a Clue was hosted by Brian Edwards with team captains Gary McCormick and Belinda Todd. The celebrity game show was based on charades, a party game where players used mime rather than speaking to demonstrate a name, phrase, book, play, film or TV programme.

What do you think?

4 Likes

This is the headquarters of Sky Television - located on a two hectare (five acre) site at 10 Panorama Road in Mt Wellington, Auckland.

Sky Television
Photo credit: Supplied.

It all started in 1982 as Northern Television was owned and operated as a private television company by Wilson & Horton, publishers of the Auckland morning daily New Zealand Herald (now fully owned and operated by NZME), but also included 18 other newspaper owners spread throughout New Zealand.

Northern Television’s offices and studios were located in a converted Mt Wellington factory until they were purchased by Sky Network Television (formerly Sky Media) in 1989.

Sky was established two years earlier (1987) to investigate subscription television opportunities in New Zealand. Following the deregulation of broadcasting in New Zealand, the New Zealand Government tendered a number of channels in the UHF spectrum. Recognising that, at that time, UHF was the most economic way to broadcast subscription television in New Zealand, given the country’s low population density and mountainous terrain.

Sky tendered for a range of nationwide UHF networks. It was successful with a number of tenders and began broadcasting a three-channel subscription service - which included Sky Movies, Sky Sport and Sky News (a mixture of both CNN and BBC content) - to the Auckland region on Friday 18 May 1990. Hamilton and Tauranga followed suit in July that year.

Dedicated to @OnAir, @LiamP, @medianz, @nztv, @TV4 and @foxyrover.

2 Likes

For those interested, here’s some detail on all tendered UHF Frequencies 1989-95…

Data comes from the RSM Website. You can probably guess not all these actually resulted in something going to air. I’ve also added what of these were in use at Analogue Switchoff.

2 Likes