NRL on Nine

Shocking defending by Queensland. Unsurprising floggery by Maloney. And, to top it all off, Phil Gould makes me want to rip my ears off. Even Ray Warren is slipping to his level tonight.

That’s not “amazing” at all, Ray.

2 Likes

It is at his age. Same as Phil Gould, the living bee sting.

3 Likes

And there goes Nine Melbourne, leaving the game almost immediately to cross to the Footy Show. Not even a whiff of a trophy.

Still, as a Queenslander, oh well

1 Like

Queensland has come from behind to beat NSW 18-12, giving Billy Slater a perfect send off in his final game in Maroons colours, denying NSW their first series clean sweep since 2000. The crowd at Suncorp Stadium was pretty good for a dead rubber: 51,214.

1 Like

And taking Nine Adelaide and Nine Perth with it presumably.

I noticed a pause after Ray Warren said something like QLD have won 18-12 and I thought to myself “There goes the southern states to the AFL Footy Show”.

No, Nine Perth is staying with SOO post-match until 10.40pm AEST (8.40pm AWST) when AFL Footy Show starts.

2 Likes

There was a throw to a commentator (can’t remember who) and th–
THIS HAS BEEN A PRESENTATION
OF NINE’S WIDE
WORLD OF SPORTS

1 Like

There’s gonna be a lot of angry Viewers in Melbourne who never got to see Billy Slater’s Farewell Speech across SEN, RSN, MSR, 3AW and of Course Triple M across their Breakfast Shows.

It would not have happened if the AFL did not schedule a Thursday night match this week. In turn the AFL Footy Show would not be moved to tonight, leading to an early finish to State of Origin telecast in VIC, SA and TAS.

1 Like

Unhappy viewers in Victoria, Tasmania and south Australia not seeing the post match coverage. This has caused massive outrage across Twitter and @Channel9

3 Likes

Another idea would be to simulcast the match on GEM. That way, when VIC, SA and TAS go to the AFL Footy Show, Gem would show the postmatch in those states.

Saturday Night Football is coming in August on Nine in the lead up to the finals.

2 Likes

I don’t think the AFL is concerned with this when it comes to scheduling.

Channel Nine’s problem. Not the AFL.

2 Likes

ROUND 18

The week of rugby league only gets bigger in Round 18, starting tonight with Billy Slater on The Footy Show, Mitchell Pearce’s return for the Newcastle Knights on Friday Night Football, and the Dragons at their spiritual home against Benji’s Tigers on Sunday Football, all LIVE on Nine.

On Friday Night Football, star halfback Mitchell Pearce returns from injury in front of a parochial home crowd in Newcastle when the desperate Knights chase a win to keep their faint hopes of a finals berth alive against a Parramatta Eels side ready to throw caution to the wind after a tough 2018 season.

Sunday Football takes us to the home of the famous Red V with LIVE coverage from 3.00pm on Nine when the St George Illawarra Dragons look to burn down a Wests Tigers renaissance led by Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah.

The Dragons are enjoying a high-flying season and will be out to show they can finish it in the same fashion against a tricky and rejuvenated Tigers outfit boosted by mid-season signings Moses Mbye and Robbie Farah.

Nine’s top commentary lineup will feature Andrew Johns, Phil Gould, Darren Lockyer, Brad Fittler and host James Bracey when they are joined by special guest Wade Graham from the Sharks.

Nine rugby league expert, Phil Gould, said: “It doesn’t get much better than an in-form Dragons on a sunny Sunday afternoon at Kogarah in front of a packed-out hill of red and white. Dragons coach Paul McGregor will sweat on the healthy return of NSW Blues Origin forwards Tyson Frizell, Tariq Sims, Jack de Belin and Paul Vaughan, who have all been named to play and will have their work cut out against the Tigers front-row combination of Russell Packer and Ben Matulino.

“The forwards battle will be brutal, but it will be converting their hard work into points that decides the outcome when the halves pairing of Gareth Widdop and Ben Hunt go tit-for-tat with Benji Marshall and Luke Brooks. It’s safe to say you can expect anything and everything from this highly skilled quartet. How they link up with speedsters Matt Dufty and Moses Mbye respectively will be telling in the final score line. I’ll be tipping the Dragons as I have all year.”

Broadcast Times

Friday, July 13
Knights vs Eels

Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 9GEM

Sunday, July 15
Dragons vs Tigers

Sydney 3.00pm LIVE on Nine
Brisbane 3.00pm LIVE on Nine
Melbourne 3.00pm LIVE on 9GEM
Adelaide 2.30pm LIVE on 9GEM
Perth 1.00pm LIVE on 9GEM

THE WEEK OF RUGBY LEAGUE ON NINE

FRIDAY, JULY 13:

• FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL – Knights vs Eels, LIVE from 7.30pm AEST on Nine. In commentary: Peter Sterling, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Darren Lockyer and host James Bracey from McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle.

SATURDAY, JULY 14:

• INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP – 1.00pm, on Nine in NSW. Wests Magpies vs Mounties at Campbelltown Stadium. Caller Joel Caine will be joined by Sharks NRL premiership winner Paul Gallen and St George Illawarra Dragons ISP coach Mat Head.

• INTRUST SUPER CUP – 1.00pm, on Nine in Queensland. Redcliffe Dolphins vs Burleigh Bears in Brisbane. Scott Sattler will be joined by Ben Dobbin and Peter Psaltis.

SUNDAY, JULY 15:

• SPORTS SUNDAY – Sunday, at 10.00am AEST, LIVE on Nine. This week: host James Bracey is joined by Newcastle Knights double NRL premiership winner Adam MacDougall, netball commentator Cath Cox, plus leading opinion makers Peter FitzSimons and Richard Freedman.

• SUNDAY NRL FOOTY SHOW – Sunday, at 11.00am. Host Peter Sterling will cover all the Round 18 action so far with NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler fresh from his Origin series win and former Jillaroo Allana Ferguson.

• SUNDAY FOOTBALL – Dragons vs Tigers, Sunday, at 3.00pm, LIVE on Nine from Jubilee Oval, Kogarah. This week: special guest Wade Graham joins the panel alongside Andrew Johns, Phil Gould, Darren Lockyer and Brad Fittler and host James Bracey to dissect a huge afternoon of footy from the spiritual home of the Dragons.

MONDAY, JULY 16:

• 100% FOOTY– Monday, 10.10pm, on Nine. 100% Footy is the home of the strongest opinions in rugby league from the people who count. Phil Gould returns with Paul Gallen, alongside Jillaroos star Ruan Sims, journalist Neil Breen and host James Bracey.

** Check local guides for details. Times will differ.

PODCAST – SIX TACKLES WITH GUS

James Bracey discusses the biggest rugby league issues of the week with NRL legend and expert commentator Phil Gould on Six Tackles with Gus.

This week:
• Up-and-coming Panthers playmaker Jarome Luai and unexpected player value increases
• Blake Austin’s departure from the NRL
• Storm vs Dragons last week: a blueprint for the style of future NRL games

Nine’s omission of State of Origin post-match on Wednesday in VIC, SA and TAS got noticed by Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy.

1 Like

Have to agree with Bellamy, but shouldn’t the ARL insist on the presentations being seen in those states?

1 Like

I had the misfortune of witnessing that myself. Was down in Tassie through the week on holidays and didn’t get to see the Blues lift the shield.

2 Likes

Sorry for bringing this up, but does anyone know how many games Nine have each year under the current deal (which I believe also involves Fox sports)?

Using this year as an example:
State of Origin = 3 games
NRL finals = 9 games
Pacific Test = 2 games
Good Friday afternoon = 1 game
Anzac Day afternoon = 1 game
Thursday night = 23 games
Saturday night = 5 games (last five rounds of regular season)
Friday night = 26 games
Sunday late afternoon = 26 games
Total = 96 games (98 games if Australia v New Zealand test and Indigenous All Stars are played)

3 Likes