NRL on Nine

I never knew that there were such things as “hosting” rights, I always thought if you had broadcasting rights, you could cover it as you liked.

Nine don’t have any exclusive games anymore (except for Origin and the Grand Final).

Sorry, exclusive was probably the wrong word but I meant a game where they are “host broadcaster”. :slightly_smiling_face:

And yeah, there’s hosting rights, at least for the NRL. I suspect that clause may go in the future but I think for now Nine would be quite protective of being the one ones allowed to host on site for their big Friday night games.

1 Like

Ray Hadley calling the Broncos v Eels match in Brisbane. It looks as though he is doing Thursday Night Football.

He’s done the last few Thursday Night games.

Lately, Matt Thompson has been doing Friday and Saturday nights, Ray Warren has been doing Sunday afternoons (when played in Sydney).

With no AFL finals match in Melbourne on Saturday week (September 9), I think the NRL may schedule Melbourne Storm’s qualifying final at AAMI Park on that night to fill the void. All will be revealed this Sunday when the fixture for week 1 of NRL finals is revealed.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: AFL/NRL Ratings

Ray Warren calling the Eels v Rabbits game right now.

I think it’s the first Friday night game he’s done for a while.

There will be no doubleheaders in next week’s NRL finals fixture. Melbourne Storm’s qualifying final will be played on Saturday but in late afternoon, before the AFL elimination final between Sydney and Essendon (4.20pm start). It is mainly due to Allianz Stadium hosting three finals in three days and the SCG Trust wants to avoid a crowd crush in the area.

NRL finals week 1 fixture (all times AEST)
Friday September 8
2nd Qualifying final: Sydney Roosters v Brisbane (Allianz Stadium, 7.55pm)
Saturday September 9
1st Qualifying final: Melbourne v Parramatta (AAMI Park, 4.10pm)
2nd Elimination final: Manly v Penrith (Allianz Stadium, 7.40pm)
Sunday September 10
1st Elimination final: Cronulla v North Queensland (Allianz Stadium, 4.10pm)

3 Likes

Why would the Storm-Eels final be at 4.20pm?

No, Storm v Eels will start at 4.10pm, 10 minutes before Swans v Bombers.

I’m surprised though, that the Storm-Eels match is at 4pm, instead of 7.30pm. Maybe it’s me, but the Storm game deserves to be at night.

I feel as though three out of four NRL finals matches will be played in Sydney. 8/9/2017 - Sydney Roosters v Brisbane Broncos (Evening), 9/9/2017 - Manly Sea Eagles v Penrith Panthers (Evening), and 10/9/2017 - Cronulla v Cowboys (Afternoon). Mat Thompson is more likely to call the Melbourne Storm vs Parramatta Eels game while Ray Warren will spend time in Sydney calling the Sydney home finals matches.

1 Like

Yes, I imagine that Ray Warren will commentate at least 2, maybe all 3 finals.

But then I don’t think he’s called anymore than 1 game a week all year.

Do you guys listen to Ray Warren on Nine, or the FOX team or ABC radio or 2GB?

Fox, because I have Foxtel but there team is a lot better

1 Like

Rebranded as Finals Football.

Extra time tonight in this thriller at Allianz.

@Radiohead please respond

1 Like

:cry: :cry: :cry:

1 Like

Here is the fixture for week 2 and 3 of 2017 NRL finals. Matt Thompson will probably commentate matches in Brisbane and Melbourne, leaving Sydney matches to Ray Warren.
(all times AEST)
Week 2
Friday, September 15
Semi final: Brisbane v Penrith (Suncorp Stadium, 7.55pm)
Saturday September 16
Semi final: Parramatta v North Queensland (ANZ Stadium, 7.40pm)

Week 3
Friday, September 22
Preliminary final: Melbourne v Brisbane or Penrith (AAMI Park, 7.55pm)
Saturday, September 23
Preliminary final: Sydney Roosters v Parramatta or North Queensland (Allianz Stadium, 7.40pm)