Nine Tennis Coverage

My observation is that it’s Ten who is the loser, caught in the crossfire and losing the cricket it had. Seven would be the winner with the Big Bash as well. It’s a huge rater night after night across summer.

1 Like

Biggest difference here is one network didn’t have BBL and tests, etc.

Nine and Ten going to feel it, especially in prime time until late January when Nine will be neck and neck.

Nine will be confident as Seven themselves made a big deal about “winning every night” and Aus Open rating 2.7m metro a year ago, imagine if Aussie(s) make a final! Also 50/50 gender demo split and better in key demos overall.

But on the other hand cricket does tend to pull the bigger one off ratings, like a session doing low-mid 1m metro here and there, whereas it takes until finals for tennis to get that now - usually.

So for me, much better for Nine and jury is out if they’ll dominate as Seven did during last two January weeks and huge for Married, but I think Seven are better off for all the aforementioned, BBL the big factor.

Foxtel (as I have previously discussed - look at AFL on Fridays, good games massive for both Seven and Fox) and not having T20s will do minimal damage IMO.

Seven will be worse off actually Sully, simulcast hurts the sport, there are prime examples of it in NRL, Rugby Union and motorsport. Not having limited international games will also hurt them in the long run. With the limited access, audience dwindle. What ever it used to do on Nine and Ten will be small, because of Foxtel. Year on year, Foxtel keeps chewing up the FTA audience in what it used to have.

Some star power to launch Nine’s summer of tennis

Seven have BBL over December and January during prime time. Nine have nothing until Aus Open and Ten have nothing.

That’s the biggest point.

3 Likes

If Nine were smart, they’d use current WWOS hosts/presenters as much as possible, to further expose them.

James Bracey, surely he’ll host a session at the Aus Open? Use Sydney talent they’ve got/had on NRL/cricket if at all possible, and netball. Clint Stanaway? Erin Molan? Fatty Vaughtin? Cameron Williams?

Michael Slater was a big loss.

Don’t just cave in and make it a Melbourne drool fest, with Eddie McGuire, Tony Jones ane Co.

I disagree. The Australian Open is held in Melbourne, so why not have Eddie, Tony and Co. hosting it? Just like my call every year to have Melbourne-based people to host Carols by Candlelight.

Is Clint Melbourne or Sydney based? Or is he between cities?

Says Channel 10’s number 1 fan William.

Some of the names being suggested here for tennis coverage presenters (Cameron Williams, Tony Jones, James Bracey etc.) as presenters sound OK but Eddie McGuire or Paul “Fatty” Vautin?! Please tell me that people are only jokingly suggesting them!

I’m not overly concerned for Nine at the moment. Heck, if the Australian cricket team continue to embarrass themselves as they have recently, Nine might be better off having the tennis broadcast rights if they manage to have decent programs on during October and November (very wishful thinking on that last point, I know).

2 Likes

No, thank you. Leave it to experts. Paddy Sweeney and Michael Thomson will likely host the Hopman Cup from Perth.

I could name tons of Sydney presenters who Seven have successfully made home grown names when it comes to the Aus Open.

It may be held in Melbourne and reflect as such in a big way, but it’s a national TV event, Tennis Australia want that and ratings have always reflected that (at its best over 1.1m people in both Sydney and Melbourne watched Lleyton Hewitt in 2005’s final).

Big shake up coming to tennis schedules and traditional lead up tournaments to Australian Open.

The decision puts the ATP, which operates the Sydney and Brisbane Internationals, in direct competition with tennis’ governing body, the International Tennis Federation (ITF), which operates the Hopman Cup in Perth and the the four Grand Slams including the Australian Open.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/australias-summer-of-tennis-to-be-shaken-up-by-world-team-cup/news-story/22dd7b24b599c8bc232a5e3b3bd4d09c

While details remain vague, Perth and Brisbane are also expected to be part of the World Team Cup event with the final being staged in Sydney.

It could be the death knell for traditional men’s events in Sydney and Brisbane.

I read through the article and I was wondering whether nine will take the Davis cup or not when Seven ended its tennis broadcasting contract.

Just like Nine still having a bit of some form of cricket in coming years, I’d be surprised if Seven didn’t hold onto Wimbledon or something

I think Nine’s deal with Tennis Australia includes Davis Cup matches involving Australia. Although, with Davis Cup changing to a 18-team competition from 2019, the deal will have to change, also to include the inaugural ATP World Team Cup in Australia.

1 Like

I would say 9 would do the same sort of set up as 7 did with live matches on 9 and GEM in the first week and !9GO covering the tennis when news is on. Then in the 2nd week of the tournament, all matches live on 9 with them using GEM when they go to news.

How about Channel 9 bringing back it’s original team for the tennis - Fred Stolle who did the French Open tennis for world feed. Tony Trabert and John Barrett are still alive? They did the big tournaments when 9 had the rights to everything apart from the Australian Open which of course they have now.

1 Like

Fred Stolle commentated Roland Garros on Fox Sports’ coverage earlier this year.

Romantic notion, they’re all alive but Trabert and Barret would be close to 90 and Stolle is 79.

Would love to see Barbara Schett on Australian coverage. Her work with ABC Grandstand was excellent.

Pretty sure Stolle did his last french open coverage this year. About 15 years too late but anyways. I think i remember tony retiring himself when nine still had Wimbledon

1 Like