Nine Tennis Coverage

With Rafael Nadal injured and Nick Kyrgios advancing to the Final, Nine is showing a live Women’s Doubles Final match.

3 Likes

It was actually the Women’s Doubles Semi Finals. Their Finals is on Sunday

3 Likes

Would Nine have preferred Kyrgios to be playing in the semi final but not assured of the final or the way it turned out? They could potentially have received higher total ratings across 2 nights even had he lost the semi.

9 Likes

The semi would of been played at about 2am so i think the huge numbers on Sunday would be better

4 Likes

Would’ve = Would have :white_check_mark:
Could’ve = Could have :white_check_mark:
Should’ve = Should have :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

Does Kyrgios attract or repel viewers?

1 Like

A year ago, Ash Barty won Wimbledon and her match rated over 1.5m. The pre-match segment rated 847k (numbers are from the below link). However, it was a Saturday night and a shorter match.

We will see how the Men’s Final will rate, considering its late on a Sunday night and most will go bed early, with work/school on Monday morning.

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/saturday-10-july-2021/17980

1 Like

school hoildays in most states there though now that might help

3 Likes

I’ll probably watch a little if it’s on early enough but I’ll be barracking for his opponent. He could play Vladimir Putin and I’d wave the Russian flag.

1 Like

It won’t do 1.5m metro like Barty’s, for all the above reasons and Sydney was in hard lockdown (they outrated Melbourne and by some margin that night) with more than 500k.
However, I’ll be surprised if it’s not at a bare minimum mid-'000s or even high-'000’s and one of the day’s most watched TV programs.

The publicity today and tomorrow in the lead-up, the match-up that it is and school holidays still in (e.g.) New South Wales should help.
If there’s a single reason for anyone to tune-in, even non-tennis viewers, it’s surely that it’s another Australian, even though not the personality of say Ash Barty.

Kyrgios taking out the first set and some ‘fireworks’ as they’ve and media are putting it between the two early could also keep people tuned-in. The lead-in panel show is also a good thing IMO.

3 Likes

Interesting hearing people’s thoughts, I actually reckon tonight will rate better than Barty’s final last year. Ash is clearly far more likeable than Nick, but Kyrgios is far more popular. His Aus Open matches are always some of the highest rating nights of the tennis, especially when he’s playing one of the Big 3 like Djokovic. Plus the men’s final generally has more interest than the women’s. The late time-slot is annoying but I know many people who never watch tennis but are staying up to watch tonight, so there’s definitely huge interest.

1 Like

Common sense prevails. Were they trying to bury the tennis on a multichannel to push Stan Sport subs? Made no sense to me.

2 Likes

Is tonight’s commentary from the world feed? Todd Woodbridge is commentating

They crossed to Todd Woodbridge before the match, and he said that he was going to commentate for the BBC. I think he is commentating alongside Tim Henman

2 Likes

See last graphic for commentary team

7 Likes

Unfortunately on Nine Perth there was no mention of the channel change on my screen in WA. At 10:12pm, 9Gem abruptly cut off to movie. After 60 mins ended, nine went straight to the continuation od the tennis between Djokovic and Kyrgios.

Nine viewers missing the Kyrgios dummy spits between points.

2 Likes

I can’t believe Nine didn’t air the match on the main channel in Perth. Surely 60 Minutes could have been pre-empted?

2 Likes

Is it just me or has the scoreboard got progressively slower throughout the tournament?
Get the scoreboard person a double shot espresso.

We get the irritating violin strings of this Britbox ad every ad break instead…

1 Like