Nine Tennis Coverage

They’ve got core followings though, 7Two went as high as like 8 or 9% shares this summer with De Minaur at the Sydney International.

Also it would surely affect local attendance, which is what is good about the local tournaments, Hopman Cup and Brisbane International have always seemed fairly popular in their respective attended markets.

1 Like

Well they’ve gone. Replaced by a tournament in 4 cities with 20m prize purse and plenty of ranking points. So time to move on.

The Hopman Cup was a dud. Meaningless exhibition tennis. Finally we have a a replacement.

However, the likes of the Brisbane international did have their place but it was rare for the top players to want a huge hit out before the AO.

1 Like

Guessing that means the ‘TV year’ will also be pushed back a week. The networks would probably like that seeing it means there would only be a one week gap until the ratings year begins instead of the current two

I’m personally going to miss the Hopman Cup. Yes, it is/was an exhibition tournament. However, it’s a unique event in the tennis calendar and it always produces some great matchups

1 Like

The new ATP Cup teams tournament means the end of Hopman Cup, Brisbane International and Sydney International as we know it. However women players need their warm-up tournaments too, will Nine still show them under the new Tennis Australia deal?

1 Like

I had assumed that new teams tournament was mixed. Silly me thinking Tennis Australia always treat men and women as equals in these more enlightened times. I wonder why Tennis Australia has done this, created a new tournament for the men but haven’t announced anything for the women.

1 Like

Because it’s a joint ATP tournament and they are run separately from the WTA, including TV rights deals. (Grand Slams separate again).

4 Likes

ATP and WTA are two seperate organisations, with their own broadcast deals and sanctioned tournaments. Aside from the 4 Grand Slams, there are no mixed tournaments that count towards ATP or WTA rankkings.

On another note, do we know where this new ATP tournament will be played? Is it Melbourne, Australia wide?

The Sydney International is an ATP World Tour 250 series tournament and a WTA Premier tournament. Points are awarded by both organisations.

It will be played across three cities over 10 days. Most likely in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.

1 Like

I heard Brisbane, Adelaide and the final in Sydney.

The tournaments which will really get affected are Doha (which often attracts the big players), Chennai, Auckland and the Australian Open qualifying tournament as the borderline players on getting in the main draw may also be needed to fill the national teams.

1 Like

The women’s tournaments in Brisbane & Sydney are really quite strong, and Brisbane very well attended, i wouldn’t call them shitty tournaments at all. I am annoyed at TA’s lack of info as far as the women’s side at all

6 Likes

Apart from Sydney International as littlegezzybear suggested, Indian Wells Masters, Miami Open, Madrid Open and Italian Open also count towards ATP and WTA rankings.

3 Likes

Turns out SBS has picked up the rights to the tournament

5 Likes

None of those are mixed tournaments though in the sense that they are separate men’s and women’s tournaments. Heck the Hopman Cup was the only time other than Grand Slams where mixed doubles was played.

3 Likes

If I had my way, there’d be no doubles ever. Mixed or same-sex. God it’s a hideous watch.

1 Like

So have only been able to see the guides up till sat 29 dec on tvtonight and nine has hopman cup coverage on nine from 1pm to 5pm and then overrun on GEM. And then the night session on GEM. No real word from nine on how thrir coverage will be apart from the commentators…

@TV.Cynic already posted schedule details about it in the schedules thread.

Hopman Cup coverage up to Jan 4 2019 (c/o TV Week)
1-5pm on 9
5-7pm on 9Gem
8.30pm-1.30am on 9Gem
Exceptions: no NYE night session, no NYD day session.

Brisbane International coverage up to Jan 4 2019 (c/o TV Week)
Noon-6pm on 9Go
8pm-11.30pm on 9Go
I only have up to Jan 4 (Fri), so not sure what happens with coverage of this over the weekend due to NBL being on.

Regarding the Hopman Cup, the scheduling should be the other way around - the day session should be on 9Gem with the more ‘attractive’ primetime matchups (eg; New Years Day when Roger Federer & Serena Williams will be playing) airing on the main channel

2 Likes