Nine Radio (Talk)

Im surprised they have gone with him given the interaction he had with Ray Hadley when Joe previously filled in over summer.

Off the back of hosting his overnight program, Tony Moclair hosted the first thirty minutes of 3AW breakfast alongside Russel Howcroft today. Ross said he had a bad nights sleep and ended up running late for the show.

2 Likes

This is one big difference these days for 2GB under the Nine Entertainment Company compared to the relatively free-wheeling days under Macquarie Radio when owned by Singo and run by Rusty. The inmates are no longer running the asylum! I enjoy Joe Hildebrand ā€¦ way more energy and interesting radio compared to the rather mundane Deborah Knight.

3 Likes
2 Likes

3AW will broadcast live from Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show at Carlton Gardens next week: Dee Dee with Afternoons on Friday (April 1), and Darren James on Saturday and Sunday morning.

3 Likes

This is interesting. Next week, Tom Elliott will host Mornings whilst Neil has the week off, and Tony Jones will fill-in for Tom on Drive.

(The following week, commencing April 11, Tony fills in for Neil and Heidi fills in for Tom.)

I guess this will be Tomā€™s test to see if he could be a suitable successor to Neil.

3 Likes

Interesting Ray also has the week off next week.

1 Like

From a 2GB perspectiveā€¦ Ray Ray off mornings next week as he mentioned today. Joe Hildebrand will replace Deb Knight in afternoons the following week ā€¦ i wish this change could be permanent (Sorry Deb i know youā€™re lovely ā€¦ but sooooo boring imho). Michael McLaren finally back on overnights from Monday following his LSL. Chris Smith into brekky for Ben Fordham as expected. Jim Wilson will work through on Drive which is a good call as he needs to keep improving his ratings. I was critical of ol Jimbo for some time since he took over drive from Ben but i reckon heā€™s finally starting to hit his straps and sounding pretty good these days.

2 Likes

3AW contributor Malcolm Stewart pointed out this morning that he was starting his 50th year as UK correspondent for the Breakfast show having taken over from Peter Harvey in April 1973. Stewart is 3AWā€™s longest serving employee.

8 Likes

Some program changes at 3AW over April:

Overnights: Simon Owens filling in Apr 11-15 & Apr 18-22

Breakfast: Iā€™m sure Ross and Russ will take leave at some point but not sure when. They never dare utter the names of their fill-in presenters Stephen Quartermain and Emily Power

Mornings: Tom Elliott filling in Apr 04-08, Tony Jones Apr 11-14, Neil back on Good Friday for the Appeal, then TJ back Apr 18 & 19

Afternoons: Elise Elliott filling in Apr 04-08

Drive: Tony Jones filling in Apr 04-08 and Heidi Murphy Apr 11-14

Nights: Grubby filling in Apr 04-07

Weekend Breakfast: Emily Power filling in Apr 02-03

2 Likes

Emily Power.

3 Likes

I see that @blackbox will be hosting 4BC Afternoons for the next two weeks. Congrats and good luck Rob. Good to see 4BC continuing with local programming during survey breaks.

9 Likes

Husband and wife hosting back to back timeslots in the same week. I know Elise had filled in for Dee Dee on Afternoons before, but couldnā€™t remember if it happened in the same week as Tom hosting Drive.

3 Likes

Cheers. Iā€™m very grateful for the opportunity and appreciate your well-wishes.

5 Likes

For many, many years, I have been a big radio fan since discovering pirate radio in the UK s a child. I would, however, like someone to explain to me the appeal of talk radio! I mean this in a totally positive way. Just what do you get from listening to these bloated egos potficating and soiling the airwaves? Especially these Nine Talk stations which all have a right wing slant. I donā€™t by the way listen to ABC radio either. Still love music radio especially if they play a bit of rock but just donā€™t get talk radio. If I need to know the latest news thereā€™s the internet or ABC News TV.

2 Likes

It isnā€™t all bad. I canā€™t stand the likes of Hadley, Chris Smith and Alan Jones, but find broadcasters like Ross Stevenson, John Stanley, Tony Moclair, The Two Murrays and George Moore incredibly entertaining. I donā€™t have to agree with the opinions of those entertaining broadcasters to enjoy their shows.

I think the problem is that the art of producing a balanced, entertaining show has been lost when hard line egomaniacs like Hadley, Jones and their ilk attract ratings by spewing bile day after day. Itā€™s just lazy radio and it pisses me off no end that the likes of Hadley are let loose to read the Murdoch papers, push agendas and pray on the fears of people who donā€™t look beyond the crap churned out by main stream media.

3 Likes

I noticed in a News Limited editorial that Denis Walter broadcasts his show from Sydney. Surely this canā€™t be right or am I reading it wrong.

1 Like

It must be wrong or may have only been for a short period of time. Denis lives in Geelong and commutes into Melbourne for his show.

1 Like

A lot of it is news driven etc but plenty of the people listening to talk radio are wanting companionship or stimulation.

2 Likes

Also talk radio varies a lot by station and by time of day, 3AW is less political than 2GB, especially nights

3 Likes