Nine Radio (Talk)

Yes, always right thing. Jones encouraging vigilante action in the week before the Cronulla riots:

1 Like

Speculation rife that Karl Stefanovic will do Drive across Syd and Bris as well as Today Show.

2 Likes

Interesting.

That would be a pretty long workday for Karl doing breakfast at 5:30-9am then drive from 3-6pm (though obviously not continuously). Then again, Alan Jones did breakfast for many years and still does Sky News at night, so it sounds possible.

Maybe Karl might do Afternoons and Deb Knight moves to drive?

2 Likes

With a baby and a new wife, I wouldn’t be doing more work. It’s essentially a 4am to 7pm day (with a break in between). That’s still harsh.

It would certainly piss his ex wife off, which would be a consideration I reckon for him!

4 Likes

Karl isn’t good radio talent. His stint on 2GB demonstrated that last year. Perhaps he could be if they used him as a fill in for a few years.

It would be disappointing to see Nine use 2GB as a dumping ground for talent they can’t find a place for on TV. There’s good radio talent around who aren’t currently on air. Wouldn’t mind seeing Jason Morrison make a comeback to 2GB. You have to wonder what position he would be in today if he hadn’t jumped ship to 2UE. Chris Bath was great on ABC radio evenings last year. I think she’d shine even more in a more news driven slot like Drive.

5 Likes

They’d need a week when 4 Corners off to fit it all in.

3 Likes

I am sure the staff at 2GB are ready to celebrate Jones’ retirement. Alan was such a pleasure to work with on a day to day basis

6 Likes

Now they can play Gloria without being associated with Parrot himself.

2 Likes

Nine will be so relieved - so many defamation payouts and so many companies that will still not advertise on the show.

5 Likes

With broadcasters having cracked down on the distribution of leaked off air content in recent years I strongly doubt this will happen, but it’d make my year if someone at 2GB was willing to leak something like this to Mumbrella!

In Question,how much Money Nine will save in it’s Radio Business with Alan Jones Retiring???

Kyle Sandilands didn’t hold back what he thinks about Fordham taking over from Jones. According to radioinfo, this is what he said on-air this morning:

“Oh what a disaster. This is what happens when a televisions station runs a radio network.

No idea, no idea….it’s a massive mistake…anyway, good luck Ben Fordham, friend of mine but now a mortal enemy to the death.”

“I don’t mind Ben as a person, but he’s a little bit of a phony…nice enough, and I know him well, well, well, but you can just tell this is a huge money saving exercise over at 2GB.”

1 Like

Maybe Kyle was hoping for a job at 2gb?

He’s not wrong that television station running a radio network is a bad idea. Just thinking of Radio Live here in NZ, a disaster while in the hands of tv bosses

2 Likes

Congratulations to Alan Jones on a distinguished career and I wish him all the best in his impending retirement.

But… I wonder… why does anyone working from home on radio bother to put a TIE on?
Honestly, it’s the most uncomfortable piece of attire known to man.

1 Like

Probably because he was featuring on the news today?

1 Like

Among other things touched upon in the interview which isn’t mentioned in the link preview, the reason why Ray Hadley didn’t replace Jones (according to Malone) is Nine didn’t want to introduce new presenters for both 2GB’s breakfast and morning shifts at the same time.

2 Likes

And of Chris Smith being overlooked? He has been the mainstay of breakfast substitutions.

2 Likes

Guessing they’re trying to dial down the crazy.

3 Likes