Nine Radio (Talk)

Now that the Village Idiot that has been running the joint is gone some sanity will resume but I think you will find the definition of Christmas will be December 8 and then it will be Murray Wilton.

Wishful think I know but I am thinking actually the reverse and some local programming will return to 4BC as I believe the bosses at Nine Brisbane will want that. Time will tell.

1 Like

George confirmed Paul will stay.

Who would be a good partner? Clinton Maynard? Mike Jefferies? Stuart Bocking? Paul Murray?

My tip is Murray Wilton solo and have Paul as a weekly guest.

Surely it’d be odd to just have a bandaid show called, “___ and Paul”.

3 Likes

Perhaps they do but they also are mindful of keeping a control on costs.

I believe they have the talent for at least breakfast on BC to be a success with local talent, but it will need a lot of patience and time.

If NEC acquire all of SCA, they’ll have new challenges to sort and it’ll be up to the Camerons or similar to keep undoing decades of poor decisions in Brisbane.

1 Like

Could Macquarie Sports Radio be about to be shutdown. I understand staff were informed about 30 mins ago. What to replace - ??? Talking Lifestyle and MSR more brilliant work for Lang to be proud of (the end of 2UE, Magic Mlb and 4BH Bne)?

4 Likes

Correct, they were notified of a meeting yesterday by email!

At last, thank you Nine!

Still not being published or rumoured anywhere else which is strange.

1 Like

The closure of MSR means three AM frequencies will be vacant. Nine must be deciding what to do with them before issuing a press release.

Wonder they will try to sell? Or keep?

It’d be great if they were sold but Nine wouldn’t want the competition so they’ll probably go music orientated and overflow content

3 Likes

That’s Denis Walter done for you presume.

Are 3AW still doing their own overnights shows? Can imagine they’ll be fed out of 2GB now outside of Ross & John, Neil Mitchell and Tom Elliott

1 Like

I think Darren James may be in the firing line too. He currently hosts two stints on Saturday mornings (6am-8am, 9am-11am) so he could lose one.

2 Likes

Or the lot as seen at 4BC.

Strange time to do this, MRN are in a holding pattern pending the acquisition completing. Perhaps Nine are happy for MRN to do their dirty work?

4BC proved a success with similar format of John Miller and Ross Davie.

They can emulate AW bfast again with Ben Dobbin and Luke Bradnam already contracted to Nine. Brisbane would hear a new side of both of them and the expected audience most likely wouldn’t have heard much of them before as it is.

All it needs is great production and carefully selected content, not the soft, stupid news done to death by others but the exclusives that you don’t get elsewhere, local local, ah yes, sounds like what the ABC did during the Spencer Howson bfast era in Brisbane. The market gap is wide open currently.

Pete could record the breaks from his own studio for an entire week. Format in a box, Pete could voice the lot.

2 Likes

It looks like Nine are actively trying to find the $11 million in savings they promised would be the result of the merger. Moving 2GB from Pyrmont to North Sydney will now surely happen? If they only need two or three radio studios and a handful of offices, if news is merged with Nine News, with sales being done by Nine and possibly outsource the radio syndication to NPC (guessing?), radio won’t need a lot of space.

And what will happen at 6PR? It not being touched would seem unlikely.

2 Likes

Hinch’s mention of an 8:30am crisis meeting at 3AW has been and gone.

90 mins on, what are the outcomes?

Stephen Beers, the station engineer turned GM is gone?

One of his tweets mentioned the departure of a “Melbourne CEO” (his words) so perhaps that’s the case.

1 Like

ASX notice this morning. Hugh Marks is now on the Macquarie Media board. Nine’s in-house counsel Rachel Launders takes on responsibilities at Macquarie.

1 Like