Nine Radio (Talk)

A report about people smuggling from Nine’s Europe correspondent Sophie Walsh aired during 3AW’s 6am news.

1 Like

Wishful thinking if he thinks he will stay with the Show as he contributes almost nothing. If George goes elsewhere I guess he could stay with him but otherwise retirement is a better option.

1 Like

I wonder what the future is for long-time Los Angeles correspondent Richard Arnold? He was at 2GB for decades before moving some years ago to 2UE, then he was back at 2GB when the 2UE newsroom was shutdown.

2 Likes
1 Like

I remember Tom Malone when he was the on the road reporter for the Mike Carlton breakfast show.

3 Likes

TOM MALONE APPOINTED MANAGING DIRECTOR – RADIO

Tom Malone has been appointed Managing Director – Radio, ahead of Nine taking over operational control of Macquarie Media on November 8.

For the past four years Malone has served as Nine’s Director of Sport, overseeing the growth of the Wide World of Sports brand and its relationships with major sporting codes, including leading Nine’s switch from cricket to tennis in 2018.

“Tom has a stellar track record as both a content creator and a media executive. For him this is a return to his roots in radio and I am confident he is the right person to lead Nine’s radio division,” said Hugh Marks, CEO of Nine.

“He brings an important skillset as we move forward and look for the opportunities that are created by having powerful radio brands like 2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR within the Nine family.”

Malone is a former executive producer of 60 Minutes and the Today Show . He began his career at Radio 2UE as a cadet in the newsroom, before spending two years as a federal political reporter and several years producing breakfast radio.

“I’m excited to be returning to radio,” Malone said. “2GB, 3AW, 4BC and 6PR are all powerful voices in their respective cities with deep connections to their communities, and we will seek to expand on that.

“The move to full ownership of Macquarie opens up real opportunities to build on that foundation and creates new ones to engage with listeners in each state.”

While Malone will have oversight of the radio division, Nine also confirmed that Macquarie’s newsrooms would fall under Darren Wick, Nine’s Director of News and Current Affairs. In each market, Malone will work closely with Nine’s local managing directors to seek more opportunities for growth and integration across the wider Nine business.

1 Like

There’s a position on borrowed time too. Fold the lot into Nine’s sales for true integration.

He has good content, but am not a fan of his presentation, style of sneering the words out of his mouth. Woul;d be a good fill in for a Frank Walker commercial.

From @KevinPerry’s article.

In each market, Malone will work closely with Nine’s local managing directors to seek more opportunities for growth and integration across the wider Nine business.

Good. Glad to know Kylie Blucher in Brisbane will be involved as she has radio experience, albeit on the more profitable FM stations.

Interesting that no mention made of BC/BH commercial director Jay Marschke being made redundant. Perhaps he’s not a large cost to them due to the smaller revenue made compared to Melbourne or Perth that Stephen or Gordon would’ve generated.

Hopefully Nine will be able to give the penny dreadful direct radio clients the flick in favour of integrated packages for better spending TV clients.

Will Macquarie radio be rebranded Nine. The Macquarie beaded isn’t really well known and it really legacy. Given Fairfax was dispensed with I would hope Macquarie is gone.

1 Like

A Perth advisory firm Broadcast Intelligence owns nineradio.com.au I wonder if they bought it on behalf of Nine?

1 Like

Interesting. No dates mentioned.

Ben Roberts was their research bloke prior to Macquarie looking for more savings with the Fairfax radio acquisition. He’d been with 6PR since the days of Graham Mott/SCB.

When that day comes, I think 3AW will have to severe all relationship with Seven and 10 (including guest appearances and advertising) and will have to end its support for the Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal as well, as it is also on Seven.

I doubt that. The Appeal is another matter though I guess, if Nine wants to support it or not.

1 Like

Would imagine smoothfm picking up where the old AW/Magic combo left off in that case

but the appeal is also a charity that is good community PR so, who knows, Nine might decide to let AW stay involved. I think the guard against competition tends to come down a little when it comes to charitable endeavours. It’s not unusual for Nine and Ten news to report on the appeal on Good Friday and in the past they’ve even given it a plug.

4 Likes

Rosemary Dillion, GM (CEO) of the Blue Mountains City Council (those guys who make it so difficult to get a TX site up for 2LT) has filed in the Federal Court against MML and Ray Hadley.

You may recall Ray had some nasty things to say about BMCC and Rosemary over asbestos. (I don’t as I don’t listen, but media reports tell me so)

The council has already filed against the same parties, some months ago. No wonder their defo insurers aren’t covering much this year.

The case number is NSD1798/2019 if you care to follow.

1 Like
1 Like

Well one could say that’s pretty much true for side kick Paul. But in terms of his ‘Crime File’ segment presented & well researched by Paul I do find this a fascinating part of the weekend program
& perhaps unique to Australian Radio. It is after all Paul’s speciality.
As for ‘Dolly’ she should have been sent off to the nursing home years ago. :wink:

1 Like

If MML were smart, they’d turn Crime File into a Podcast series - like what SCA do on PodcastOne.

2 Likes

I listened to George go silo when Paul was sick. It wasnt as good. Bit like an old married couple one is more dominant , the other doesnt say as much but they work well together.

The show will be missed. I wish Paul would leave and they both pop up on 2SM or something.

I remember when the show started. Paul was a guest one day on George’s relatively new weekend show. George asked him to come back and he hung around grunting in the background. It grew into a great program and despite the timeslot changes always rated well. It is a pity that over the years Paul has become grumpier and George is now as grumpy as Paul was years ago. I haven’t regularly listened for a couple of years but I will make sure I listen to their last show.

2 Likes