Nine Radio (Talk)

2GB breaches decency requirements

Harbour Radio Pty Ltd – the licensee of radio station 2GB – breached the Commercial Radio Code of Practice in an Alan Jones Breakfast Show segment broadcast on 23 August 2018.

An Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) investigation examined Alan Jones’s use of a racially charged phrase and found it offended against generally accepted standards of decency.

‘The phrase used by Mr Jones has not been acceptable as part of everyday speech in Australia for some time and does not belong on our airwaves,’ said ACMA Chair Nerida O’Loughlin.

Numerous complaints were made to the ACMA about the 2GB broadcast and the fact that it was not the first time Mr Jones had used the phrase on air.

The station released an apology within hours of the broadcast and Mr Jones provided an on-air apology the next day in which he acknowledged the phrase was offensive and not appropriate for the broadcast.

2GB responded to complainants acknowledging that the phrase should not have been broadcast. As a result of the ACMA’s investigation, 2GB management has agreed the phrase will not be used on-air again.

The ACMA considers these have been appropriate responses by the licensee to this breach under the co-regulatory framework for commercial broadcasting.

The ACMA did not find a breach of the likely incitement of ‘hatred’ or ‘serious contempt’ or ‘severe ridicule’. Although the licensee broadcast a phrase widely considered racist, the ACMA did not consider that the high threshold test of incitement was met, as required for a breach of this provision.

The ACMA notes that the time taken to complete this investigation has been longer than preferable. This was a result of the licensee requiring additional time to respond to the ACMA’s enquiries due to the availability of its presenter.

1 Like

Not sure what’s worse: The fact that Alan Jones has said the phrase “n***** in the woodpile” on 2GB several times or how it apparently takes ACMA seven months to deliver their verdict and release their findings!

Looking forward to seeing how long it takes for them to announce their verdict on the infamous interview with Louise Herron on October 5, which I have no doubt would’ve attracted some complaints to ACMA.

1 Like

ACMA blames Jones for the delay as he wasn’t available when 2GB needed to ask him questions. Jones saying the word is definitely worse.

Edit:

In their submission to ACMA, 2GB stated:

and

I’m around the supposed average age of Alan Jones’ listeners and I totally reject the arguments made by 2GB. Yes, the word was used - but it most certainly was offensive. That is why people used it - to cause offence. 2GB and Jones needed to accept that what Jones said was totally unacceptable and not try to argue their way out of it.

1 Like

The ACMA are tootheless. why can’t they get him suspended off air or fine the station or something? This guy just keeps getting away with everything. Never held accountable.

1 Like

I agree.

Many of Alan Jones’ listeners might wish that Australia was still the country it was back in the 1950s and '60s when such words as “n*****” weren’t seen as being racist, but the world has (or should’ve) moved on from then.

2 Likes

The Ray Hadley bullying story airs tonight on 7.30.

3 Likes

…and it seems like Andrew Moore is another one who complained about Ray Hadley’s behaviour:

Darryl Brohman and Hadley have had a rough relationship. Hadley was dirty on Brohman (and many other people) when after 2GB purchased exclusive NRL radio rights in 2000 and Brohman left 2UE for 2GB, iirc. It was some years before Brohman was back with Hadley, but according to Brohman, Hadley has always bullied him. SMH 2016:

3 Likes

Watching this ray Hadley thing now… hopefully it’s a good hit job and destroys his career but won’t be holding my breath.

1 Like

This is horrific to watch. It’s gut wrenching to see people treated like this. He needs to be made accountable.

3 Likes

I agree - he does need to be made accountable for his actions, he does deserve to go. But the problem is, he makes them money. There’s no heir apparent that could pull in the same ratings and revenue he does.

1 Like

Even Andrew Moore has spoken out against Hadley.

As seen on 730.

He’s vile and really destroying people’s lives yet is allowed to get away with it. And he moralizes on the radio every day with his extreme right wing views. What a fucking hypocrite.

Yeah I really like Andrew Moore, I was sad to see how work affected so adversely. I choose to listen to his coverage.

I think these problems happen in a lot of workplaces, no easy solutions as everyone wants to keep thier job, including the managers. At least Ray made some sort acknowledgement in the past he did wrong.

It easy for me to say but the manager needs real power to do something. If in 1984 someone sacked Ray for breaking the phone then he may be a bit more careful to think before he acts.

1 Like

I completely agree that the Macquarie Radio Network/Nine needs to sack Ray Hadley. Heck, I’d even go as far as saying that Todd Greenberg should take a stand by no longer allowing Ray Hadley to be associated with the NRL - such a bullying broadcaster surely must go against everything the NRL wants to promote the game of rugby league as?

But remembering this is the same radio station which continues to give Alan Jones a platform despite being involved in numerous controversies and even breaches of the Commercial Radio Code of Practice over the years, I won’t be holding my breath for any major consequences to come out of this.

1 Like

Will be interesting if Stuart Bocking has something to say also. Like Hadley ruined his career in radio.

Andrew Moore is getting a lot of support on Twitter, including from this genuinely nice guy who formerly worked at both 2UE and 2GB.

6 Likes

So let me get this straight, talented broadcasters have either left or have previously been sacked, yet f**kwits like him and Jones remain for doing shit that is pretty much bordering on abuse in society?

2GB really is a bunch of stubborn pricks.

2 Likes

Jones and Hadley are the real bosses. Even Scott Morrison wouldn’t stand up to him when queried by Sales.

I’m surprised we haven’t heard from Andrew Voss.

1 Like