Nine Radio (Talk)

4BC needs it’s own Local Breakfast Program Again.

3 Likes

From Radioinfo:

Singo ready to move on from Macquarie Media

John Singleton has told The Australian that selling his shares in Macquarie Media is inevitable.

According to The Australian, any offer from the Nine Network will be delayed until and if Alan Jones signs a new contract to take him past June 30.

Read more at: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/singo-ready-move-macquarie-media

1 Like

If John Singleton sells out, the Macquarie Radio Network will probably become Nine Radio?

3 Likes

Should be merging their Nine.com.au podcasting into that division - Nine Network (Television), Nine Publishing, Nine Audio

3 Likes

Truly an end of an era once Singo leaves.

Enter the corporates.

3 Likes

Macquarie Sports Radio could become “9WWOS radio” or “Radio 9” as I suggested previously in another thread. If you could create the perfect radio station... - #61 by tonks8526

The hourly “Macquarie National News” on 2GB, 3AW, etc could become “Nine Radio News” or even “National Nine News” if they really wanted to push the Nine News branding.

1 Like

Or how about…Macquarie National Nine News? :wink:

2 Likes

Or 9Macquarie?

I’d hate it to be 9Radio.

Is there any chance that the Macquarie radio news could be outsourced to the Nine News studios? It would save a stack of money.

Those that survived the axing of the 2UE news room may now be facing an uncertain future themselves…

1 Like

The Nine produced news on 5AA in Adelaide is possibly a test for that - anyone listened to the result?

1 Like

Merging the news rooms may save some staff, but a lot would still need to be retained - Even just scripting and reading news bulletins 24/7 takes a significant amount of man power that - even if the stories were sourced centrally.

3 Likes

I think a Nine News service on radio would have some journalists doing reports for both TV & radio, but otherwise remain separate entities in the same way that The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age will most likely continue to have different reporters to Nine News on TV and Nine News online, etc.

3 Likes

He’s still not back on with Steve Price and tonight for example he introduced Rita Panahi as joining him every night with no mention of her filling in.

1 Like

Well at least that annoying Mike Williams is no longer on the website replaced with Luke Grant. For a moment I thought we would be getting that fool from Melbourne up the line. I think the Macquarie News has improved, well just a little but we are still getting annoying quotes like “have a listen” and so. 2GB listeners are not teenagers.

1 Like

Perhaps not, but Singo has tailored a station to meet the needs of people with a mental age less than a fully grown adult.

Jones’ bullying got a run on the ABC tonight. I suspect, not so much for Jones but to push the barrow of their hope of an ALP NSW victory:

1 Like

Indeed. Checking back through podcasts, Ben Fordham didn’t refer to Peta Credlin as filling in for Andrew this week. He did last week. The last time I can find Steve Price mentioning Rita Panahi was filling in for Andrew was uhhh…I’ve gone back to Feb 14 and still haven’t found a mention.

That said, 2GB and Macquarie Syndication websites still list Andrew Bolt. On the other hand, Bolt has started “The Andrew Bolt Podcast” which is described as “the official podcast of Herald Sun columnist and TV presenter Andrew Bolt”. No mention of radio. There was an episode in December and one on Sunday. He noted on his Herald Sun blog for the latest episode that it will be weekly. It’s being recorded on an echoey setup which doesn’t sound at all like a professional radio or TV studio.

There was also an entry on his blog on Monday about the possibility of John Singleton selling his Macquarie stake, with odd speculation that Singo could buy another station and take Alan Jones with him. It included lines such as

I am not sure 2GB is quite the happy, supportive home for Jones that it once was

and

I have no particular insight or information

Add that all up, and I have no idea what is going on, but it sure seems like Bolt might be out of Macquarie.

1 Like

If Bolt’s rant has any basis … Buying 2SM or buying back 2CH would be John Singleton’s only options, but I think he would need to pay Caralis or Oceania Capital a nice profit to entice them to sell.

1 Like

Agreed. But if I was John Singleton’s age, I’d probably get out of radio while it’s still profitable and retire with the bucketload of money made from the sale.

Reckon Nine would try and buy (at least the more profitable/lucrative parts of) SCA if they’re interested in radio but are concerned about MRN personalities like Alan Jones being more of a liability than an asset to the company?

1 Like

I think through this if 2SM is bought by John Singleton might make sense and then bring Alan across and maybe Ray.

Interesting idea. John can be owner but let someone else run the show. Good thing is it might by accident revive 2ue (in the form of 2gb again).