Nine Radio (Music)

The last psychic program on 2GB was run by this character, Steve Murphy, iirc. If was terrible and hilarious.

3 Likes

I’d love to be a fly on the wall in any discussions with Mr Hadley over replacing his country music show with Sharina!! :joy:

3 Likes

4AM and 4KZ in North Queensland. Not sure about other stations

1 Like

2CC Canberra used to take these shows but now takes 2GB shows Saturday and Sunday evenings.

From Instagram:

2 Likes

Prior getting the boot?

I think he may still have some involvement behind the scenes with some website/digital stuff but I suspect his on-air appearances may be quite limited now

2 Likes

There is gap in our market for announcers to control the music. But I guess it will be all sports. If you want to listen to Steve Leibmann on life and times podcast (Talking Lifestyle show), radio did sound like it had some character in the 60s and 70s. The announcer on a music show controlled all aspects of the show including the tracks it played.

I suppose you can hear it on community radio today, less likely on commercial music radio today.

Nah. Now a little detail is being revealed, it’s looking like the schedule is a clean slate. It’s Sport, all the time. It could also be the Melbourne station gets it’s own key shifts, like breakfast and drive (which would make sense with the AFL and NRL footy codes causing a need for local skews). Talking Lifestyle, and therefore 2UE, appears to be over. There might be some familiar voices on the other side of the change, but their roles will be different to now.

1 Like

I don’t have the exact dates during which the “Rhythm” format was in place. In 1979, (a time when there were half the competitors there are now), 2UE averaged a 15.7 share, behind 2SM, and won only one survey that year. 2UE rose to win all four surveys in 1980, averaging an 18.8 share for the year.

1 Like

@Laoma you know that commercial radio schedules are entirely chosen by MD and PD. It doesn’t happen at all in 2018 and has not for decades. Really not since readily available scheduling software provided a process for an employee to interact with.

On community radio, it is reducing, at a slower rate. More stations are moving to scheduled lists including automation periods and BMAD dayshifts as they chase a consistent sound to compete with a commercial station or fill a gap in format the commercials aren’t covering.

2 Likes

I think Cranny’s classic nine at nine was one exception to the rule.

Yeah I guess it would be a “unique” format if commercial radio had different “djs” with a different theme maybe all having an Adult format. So you can have people passionate about the music they play. It would help compete with Spotify etc which has automated playlists. So they are listening to music station to hear the DJ coupled with music (not just breakfast).

As much as I don’t particularly like to see people in the ever diminishing field of broadcasting lose their jobs, from a listener’s perspective would Sharina’s Psychic Encounters really be that great of a loss to the programing of 2UE/Talking Lifestyle/whatever name they’re relaunching as?

For some reason, I think there’d probably be a fair bit of backlash if 2GB kicked out Bill Crews because calls into the program are probably the highlight of the week for many listeners.

Different station but a decent case in point: Back around the mid-2000s, I remember there being a regular caller to 2CH’s “Connections” program (since renamed “The Sunday Night Open Line Program” - I think) on Sunday night hosted by the predecessor to Kel Richards (Ross Clifford IIRC) who usually asked what was coming up on Monday night’s 9 O’Clock Special and often said he was going to have cheese on toast tomorrow. Quite mundane stuff, but it gives you an idea of the type of people who’d call into these shows…

Although it’s probably one of the only programs worth salvaging from Talking Lifestyle, unfortunately I wouldn’t be overly surprised if Pete Graham’s “Saturday Night Live” also finishes up after this week or next. As I’ve said before, 2CH really should consider picking Pete up if MRN don’t want him anymore!

2 Likes

Saturday Night Live is now not listed on the Macquarie Media Syndication website. I’m fairly sure it was still there a few weeks ago. Sharina was removed from the website when 2UE morphed in TalkingLifestyle, iirc.

3 Likes

It does appear to have local 1278 shifts, unless 2UE takes AFL chat, which I doubt.

Pete Graham was on 2CH before he move to 2UE as fyi.

Bob Rogers show is popular on 2CH on sat night. Unless he joins for another shift.

Maybe he can go to Smooth FM for Saturday night or back to WS FM ? I don’t think 2SM will get rid of Carter Edwards.

1 Like

Would I be right by guessing that Pete Graham’s time at 2CH was after he left 2WS-FM/WSFM (not sure what it would’ve been branded as at that time) but before joining 2UE?

Anyway, as much as I think he’d also be great on a station like Smooth FM or WSFM I think those stations (especially WSFM, which seems to have been going under major changes in recent years) target a slightly younger demographic than the people who’d listen to a programing style like Pete Graham’s.

If “Saturday Night Live” on Talking Lifestyle is finishing up, hopefully Pete Graham will be afforded the opportunity to farewell his listeners. Same deal with all the other programs ending when the Sport format begins, of course.

1 Like

WSFM has a talk-free party mix and Smooth has automated Cameron Daddo. I can’t see either station replacing them.

1 Like

He’d be better off trying to actually get the Kings into the playoffs instead of appearing on whatever this crap is going to be.

2 Likes

I’m sure Pete will be given the opportunity to farewell his listeners, much as Dr Ross Walker and David Prior were last Sunday. I don’t think this is going to be one of those changes where hosts suddenly disappear without so much as a goodbye.

If Pete is leaving Macquarie altogether, then I’d have thought any new home for him would be most likely to be either 2CH (but not Saturday night given Bob Rogers reigns supreme then) or 2SM/Super Network

2 Likes