Nine Radio (Music)

For all we know, Stuart Bocking could’ve decided to take up a presenting position at 2HAY FM because of the slower paced lifestyle over there compared to how things are in Sydney or even Canberra?

Fact of the matter is sport is not 24/7 whereas news & talkback is.

I wonder if they’re already planning for a format change post Comm Games.

Will we be hearing sporting highlights every night from 11pm-6am?

2 Likes

Fact of the matter is sport is not 24/7 whereas news & talkback is.

over the weekend it definitely is. EPL is on as well as during the MLB season there are game starting at 2am.

i would not be surprised if they took something like talksport overnights. I can’t see them doing the old standard and taking the BBC - not eough sports content

Is there really a demand in Australia for a 2:00am radio call of US Major League Baseball?

1 Like

possibly… we have the australian baseball league here so there is a fanbase. i’m unsure how many would be listening at the time. but if your looking at filling around 3 hours of overnight content a baseball game is a much better way than either highlights or no live sport.

the point of the comment was also that thesub1 said that sport is not 24/7. i provided some examples where sport could be 24 hours a day

Will this mean they have all Big bash games on analog and coupled with the full test series? No more cricket on 4bc and 3aw?

Probably just cheap international sports.

Hope so. And they better reinstate Nightline to be from 8PM as well as Andrew Maclaren and Mark Petkovic on overnights.

1 Like

There is going to be a core audience from 2ue lost as well. Some may have stuck loyal even with TL. This probably not considered.

3 Likes

A sport station has some chance in Sydney - though breakfast could be a difficult timeslot against “The Big Sports Breakfast” on SKY 1017am, and to some degree Triple M which has something of a sport slant with sports personalities in Matthew Johns and Emma Freedman.

Melbourne will be more difficult as others have pointed out with SEN.

If it’s all going to be networked, getting the football balance right will be very tricky.

2 Likes

Can’t change the name from Talking Lifestyle to Talking Sport…maybe one could rebrand as Talking Shit. :stuck_out_tongue:

This could work in Sydney and Brisbane as one, not in Melbourne unless they swap 1278 for SEN.

2 Likes

Are you sure about that? I heard he was working as a political advisor somewhere.

It’s possible the 2HAYFM website actually hasn’t been updated in four years and they just used to network Stuart’s show from 2UE (given it’s the same timeslot).

1 Like

Sorry, my bad, a closer look at their website does indeed indicate it was a relay from his 2uE days

2 Likes

Yeah I wondered whether it might just be temporary for the Commonwealth Games. It might possibly just be a “transition” format.

Several listeners contacted George and Paul last week following the announcement of their move to 2GB and stated they wouldn’t be changing stations to listen to them. I think this change in format will be enough to get the last of those rusted on 2UE listeners to flee the station.

4 Likes

I wonder if they can rename it Talking Sport or does that conflict with the 2sm show.

I think they are serious they should move the AFL to the new channel in Melbourne and the rugby league from GB and BC to the new station in the North. I doubt it though.

Given that SEN only floats around 4 or 5 per cent shares, and I can’t imagine that many listen to RSN, it does seem to be a fairly limited market even in Melbourne. I can’t see how a “Sport 1278” format is going to have much of an impact outside of the Commonwealth Games.

I don’t work in radio but when you look at the biggest successful launches since the turn of the century… something like Nova when it started, and more recently Smooth FM that both saw gaps in the market and grabbed it… why go for a format that is already covered in Melbourne and to a certain extent in Sydney. Surely they should be going for an untapped format than crack into a market that we already know isn’t really huge?

7 Likes

It will be catastrophic, I predict, with the Sydney 954 ratings tumbling. Only George & Paul and John & Garry have kept the overall ratings at a barely respectable level, without them it will be a disaster.

4 Likes

I wonder what will happen to John and Gary ??? Lifestyle works great on Television, not for radio.

Huge failure incoming. Personality talk ie BBC 2 would have been the perfect choice.

2 Likes

Rob Duckworth hinted that he may have to be an auctioneer after this “winds up”.