Nine Radio (Music)

They already killed two hours of Nightline. I’d hate to see them cutting the whole show and putting it on TL.

2 Likes

CLI always gets passed onto the phone company for billing purposes. when a CLI is supressed it’s not passed onto the person they are calling but is still used for routing inbound (1300 and 1800) calls.

source: 10 years in telco, primarally landlines and inbound programming

4 Likes

Seems they won’t make 3AW more like 2GB in order to allow 1278 some stronger point of difference. Why would they risk it? The moderately successful Magic 693 caused the slow demise of its original stablemate 3MP. I can appreciate the risk of unnecessarily splitting an audience and it resulting in a financial drain. Talking Lifestyle is only succeeds in Sydney because (I) those still listening still consider it 2UE and (ii) 2UE appeals to listeners who can’t stomach too much 2GB. TL’s breakfast programs uphold some respectable ratings rather than the lifestyle concept (in other words, what remains of 2UE). So in Sydney, the audience was already split between two stations, albeit unevenly. So for Talking Lifestyle to grow, rather than continue to be 2UE in disguise, they need to grow Melbourne without undercutting 3AW. You can only do that by going after 774 ABC audience. Even that won’t be easy as Vega experienced . Yet try they must, otherwise market positioning TL as the subordinate stablemate of Macquarie’s other network will consistently deliver inferior ratings. Macquarie must surely understand this, yet they persist with running a successful network in one studio and the least listened to network in the other.

3 Likes

when you 13 12 83 it is on 24/7 redirect to Sydney no matter where you call from

131 873 calls from Brisbane are on auto redirect to Sydney all day and night apart from between 3PM-6PM EST when they get swapped so the number comes to Brisbane Live…

However this can be changed at anytime in the PhoneBox Software here in Brisbane so there be the need eg. Emergency Situation

4 Likes

When they say that 131 873 is a ‘local call’ that is mainly not true for some phone company’s as a 13 call is extra.

In that case, why can’t they use 3908 8800 which is the direct number for 4BC like how 3AW uses 13 13 32 for outside of Melbourne?

It just sounds like a bit of organising needs to be done as to what numbers get used and how.

2 Likes

It would be very funny to hear someone like Michael McLaren standing in for Alan Pearsall when he’s next away. I’m sure Michael would gladly join in with the prayers and cheerios…

1 Like

But as I noted in an earlier comment, there is no reason why the 131283 number could not go out on the TL frequencies via split links every time the number is given. It would require the presenter to remember not to give out the phone numbers live outside the split links but a competent presenter should be able to handle this. Most listeners won’t be at all concerned about how the call is routed internally within Macquarie so that it reaches the right place.

Anyway, I think this is all fairly academic as I don’t see Tony Moclair or Alan Pearsall popping up on TL anytime soon. Automated overnights will be in operation for the foreseeable future I think

2 Likes

A real loss losing Luke Bona. He would’ve been good for overnights like beforehand.

2 Likes

Noticed Dale Sinden in the studio late on Saturday night. Does that really mean he still goes in to prepare the so called daily highlights without muttering one word. What is the point??, agree with Martp, they will hardly change things now. I live in hope that Macquarie will ultimately flog it to a real player in the market. The way they are going the Talking Lifestyle network will become worthless!!

2 Likes

I Got to say how is Talking Lifestyle making money? Why would people advertise with Talking Lifestyle when their ratings are low and no one is listening. So much for being an Advertorial radio station.

2 Likes

Advertisement Packages, some may include 3AW and Talking Lifestyle or a mix of channels.

1 Like

strong texttrue this is why i stoped listening to Talking Lifestyje 1278 on Tuesday January 9th 2018 after 3PM and started listening to 1116am SENin Melbourne. too many Sydney voices very few Melbourne Voices.

no one listens to talking Lifestyje 1278 in Melbourne Talking Lifestyje 1278 is 3 points off being 0% & Talking Lifestyje 882 Brisbane is 5 points off being 0%.

2 Likes

However, not as anticipated. It’s no standalone buy, the embarrassing share relegates it to freebie status when you buy time on the talk station.

Advertisers can’t be that stupid. You can’t package near zero ratings.

2 Likes

Imagine Buying AM radio licences in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane and, over a two year period, you make the licences almost worthless.

I can’t handle the argument about Macquarie wanting to prevent 2UE being in competition with 2GB as

• 2GB’s ratings have not increased since the demise of 2UE
  • Imagine SCA, NE or ARN putting bird calls on their second FM licence in Sydney to boost the original licence.

It is beyond belief that Talking Lifestyle became a reality. I understood closing down the 2UE newsroom for commercial reasons (although for the sake of quality they should have shut down the 2GB newsroom). But I cannot understand how anyone thinks that the current load of ads and inane chatter would rate. AM radio should focus on news or sports or music formats that the FM stations are not covering. AM radio deserves some respect. Talking Lifestyle is a shocker.

The only purpose I can see for Talking Lifestyle is that is makes those behind Magic 11, vega and 2DayFM (post-2012) look less incompetent. Talking Lifestyle rewrites radio history as it is now the worst launch of a radio brand in Australia.

7 Likes

Perhaps a bigger tragedy is how 2SM hasn’t properly capitalised on the demise of 2UE. If 2SM had an owner who participated in ratings surveys and knew how to run radio stations in a market like Sydney with more local programing and less networked content, don’t you think they’d be able to give the MRN stations a good run for their money in the ratings? But I digress…

At the very least, surely we should be seeing a bit of external advertising for Talking Lifestyle in Sydney (their strongest market - if you can call numbers hovering around the 3.5% mark “strong”) with things like full pagers in The Daily Telegraph and 30 seconders showing on Seven/Nine in strategic timeslots like during the 6pm news?

3 Likes

It’s weird but Talking Lifestyle and 2SM are so bad that I don’t even think of the two stations as News / Talk stations. In my mind, Sydney has three News / Talk stations:

• 2GB
  • ABC Sydney
  • Radio National

954 ands 1269 (minus Laws) are just frequencies on the AM band that broadcast noise.

1 Like

There’s a petition started on change.org to bring back 4BH with a Smooth FM format. I didn’t start it but I’m definitely signing it! Change.org
#localradiomatters

6 Likes

The petition is here #localradiomatters
https://www.change.org/p/macquarie-media-limited-localradiomatters-revive-4bc-and-4bh-as-strong-locally-sourced-radio-stations?recruiter=856162687&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

2 Likes

Even Radioinfo has picked up on it: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/brisbane-local-starts-petition-changeorg-“revive-4bc-and-4bh”

4 Likes