Nine Radio (Music)

FUN 954 has a nice ring to it!

But given how FUN DAB has been dead air for weeks, Bill would want to look after it a bit better.

1 Like

SEN isn’t scheduled to air any World Cup games this weekend so the article you linked to might be incorrect

2 Likes

4BH and 4BC have both been given a birthday with their onair sound… sounding much better

Both stations have for the last year or so sounded HORRIBLE… It never sound that bad when Steve Exton or myself were there!

and AM stereo OFF on 4BC

4 Likes

I’ve been told the three stations are now playing different logs. Can anyone confirm?

Same log, timeshifted by +1 hours (4BH) and +3 (Magic Perth)

5 Likes

About time the shit audio on 4BC was fixed after having someone who knew bugger all and refused to fix it or let anyone else fix it

Shame to see it go… But I mean it is all talk back and If they are only going to feed it mono audio what’s the point :grin:

4 Likes

Cheers legend.

2 Likes

ARN and Nova do the same for their digital stations - smooth(fm) Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide run the same log, but offset based on time zones.

I believe SCA may be doing the same now but I haven’t looked into it

3 Likes

from what ive heard… and all im going to say is every audio level out of everything has been “tweaked” …these dont change by themselves

Will we notice a different on the DAB stream @radioengineer

1 Like

Watch this space!

2 Likes

Will do. I listen to 4BH DAB in the car so any changes are welcomed :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah cause in my time there and I am not going to bad mouth people but when there was links with the meters bouncing off the stops due to been to loud and AGC units bypassed, Orbans with AGC set to 25db etc there was no hope of been allowed to changing it when that was how things had to be, there was no hope of having a quality onair sound.
Good to see all the damage has now been fixed since the departure certain staff, old mate and he knows who he is has done a good job :sunglasses:

Magic Melbourne continuing their news on the half hour at breakfast this morning, interesting choice for a Saturday. Didn’t catch the name of the presenter, but when it came to the weather she suddenly sounded a lot like Tony Tardio reading out yesterday’s forecast :wink:

Had a good listen yesterday via DAB+. As noted here they’ve started to skew into the earlier half of the 60s with the music, which doesn’t particularly fit - not the era, but the song selection. The likes of Petula Clark - Downtown, for instance, instantly feels like Magic of old; conversely, the likes of Alannah Myles - Black Velvet, while relatively safe, still feels surprising being heard on a Magic-branded station.

Traffic every 15 minutes throughout the afternoon, but the timing in whatever playout they’re using is set up wrong, so usually a song begins mid-way through the report and the pre-recorded ATN reader ends up crashing the vocals. This is a simple fix.

Still no ads, except credits leading into traffic. Surprised they haven’t loaded the breaks with extra spends from 3AW’s clients, but then if Nine are trying to skew closer to 40-54 than 55+ perhaps they need some clients of their own?

An interesting listen, at least for now. Hopefully Tom Malone can pump some life into these stations before we invariably flip back to Gold, Smooth, Spotify, or Thru The Roof '83.

6 Likes

Interesting observations. 4BH does have the odd commercial here and there. Yesterday I heard a news bulletin that was clearly a few days old. The next bulletin was correct.

While the playlist is fun overall it doesn’t really sound like the 4BH of old. 4BH was easy listening, with some contemporary easy hits. This new format feels too close to 4KQ. Actually it sounds a lot like the final incarnation of 4IP.

I wonder if it’s really worth reviving the 4BH brand if it bears so little resemblance to the sound of the original.

1 Like

It’s probably a way of attracting former 4BH listeners hoping they like the new format and stay.

If it had been called something completely different, they may not have tuned in at all.

2 Likes

I can see the argument here, but does it really matter?

Most, no all of the Triple M’s don’t sound like the Original Triple M (Sydney), hell the current Triple M Sydney doesn’t sound like the original.

It’s also much easier to revive a dead brand you own (4BH) than one you don’t, or build one from scratch.

Interesting the difference in ad placements through the stations. Are the 4BH (or 2UE) bulletins read live? I know Magic is simulcast live with 3AW, with pre-recorded weather

1 Like

That is why their 12noon news is always at least a day old! 3AW news bulletin at that time is a longer one which they deem inappropriate for Magic. They put a recorded version on but it’s rarely the correct day’s news. I did send an email to Nine about this a couple of weeks go but have not got a reply, which doesn’t surprise me!

2 Likes

To me it sounds like the bulletins on 2UE might be live given that the Weather has a “Temperatures Right Now” bit, except for maybe the “I’m (Newsreader) on Sydney’s 2UE 954” signoff.

One thing I have noticed since the relaunch of 2UE is that 2CH is no longer receiving “I’m (Newsreader) on Classic Hits 2CH” signoffs at the end of their their weather forecasts/news bulletins - seemingly simulcasting the 2GB/2UE forecast but cutting out after the “Temperatures Right Now” bit.

1 Like