Nine Radio (Music)

Indeed.

However, this is not a case of SEN/Hutchy/Croc Media being triumphant, it’s a case of MRN’s usual problem of commercial ineptitude.

The programming on SEN is far from brilliant nor with a high level of investment.

@littlegezzybear has shared with us the pertinent details of the annual report, Hutch is facing looming financial concerns, none of which will improve due to the ‘end’ of MSR.

This is the radio environment that sadly metro radio is now. No effort to outdo the competition, simply plug along and the competition will fall by the wayside.

Yes, one of my many helpful suggestions.

The thing is, this is still costing money to produce output for this station, albeit spread across three markets, it is still a waste of money employing production and programming on this.

Also, what has been mentioned of survey participation? Will MRN or Nine pull BH/UE/EE out of the surveys until Nine makes substantive change?

I don’t believe any of the radio industry articles have asked this.

Fortunately here, we have @TV-Expert to calculate the ‘other’ figure as he does so well.

It’s also a waste when the press/media has already reporting the closure of the stations.

Technically, they have not closed, rather they have changed their line up (similar to the final days of 2UE and then again with Talking Lifestyle - where you have less announcers doing a longer shift).

So in summary, the wrong message was sent out to the public. MSR is still here.

6 Likes

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.heraldsun.com.au/sport/david-schwarz-and-mark-allen-set-to-make-return-to-macquarie-sports-radio/news-story/1df2a47044a1337d4778bc745f90cc25

Some great news with Marko and Ox looking like they’ll be returning.

Macquarie doesn’t seem to know what it wants to do with MSR. Last week they axe almost all programming because the station is ‘under review’ and now they (reportedly) want to bring back one of those axed shows.

What a complete debacle…

4 Likes

It does seem to be a bit of a cluster…!

What are they doing? Axing it? Reviewing it? Rebuilding it?

They are complete fools.

2 Likes

As mention by others earlier, why not wait until the new year after the Cricket Season. Don’t think I have seen this happen before?

Hope they back flip with George Moore too and make the contract more favourable.

If they were smart they’d have soft rebranded already.

Nine News Talk Sports (NTS) Radio
News, personality talk and sports coverage, Marko and Ox could have stayed on doing their show, Roy & HG would fit as well, as well as Nine personalities etc doing talk shows. Plus all the live summer sport.

1 Like

Oh the lost opportunities to actually use what talent they have.
Whack a today simulcast in, 6pm simulcast… even move Ross Greenwood’s Money across.
It’s definitely begging for a mock schedule.

Given “Fox Sports News” Radio is about as grand as the majestic sport of watching paint dry, definitely feeling sorry for the journos who have to read the same stories over and over.
Nine’s psychology bills must be about to go through the roof.

3 Likes

the journos on ABC Newsradio seem to cope pretty well.

1 Like

I think we know the answer to this one! :joy:

3 Likes

Exactly. Do that for 4BC or 4BH and you already have hours more local content than what is currently broadcast: zero.

might not be able to - River 94.9 already simulcast 9 news and they might have exclusivity.

Yes, fair play to Clinton, he’s one of radio’s great survivors. Formats come and go but Clinton keeps hanging on in there!

3 Likes

Unbelievable! When Mark Levy hinted on Friday morning that some of the shows could be returning sooner or later, I thought he was half-joking - probably he did too! He was at least implying the new year rather than this side of Christmas.

If this turns out to be true, Macquarie really will have surpassed themselves. Maybe it was some sort of bizarre publicity stunt all along - appear to (half) close down the station but then bring back those shows that listeners shout loudest for. There have been more bonkers radio stunts over the years.

If Marko and Ox do return, I wouldn’t rule out the return of breakfast too.

No doubt Mark Levy is on the MRN Precious List but unless these programmes actually have listeners and rate I can’t see this happening. I see them muddling on for a month and perhaps another month and then 2UE at least becomes Talk & Sport or something like that. Certainly not Music as they would have a non-compete agreement with 2CH. Incidentally I was under the impression that Russell Tate was retiring last July but still hanging in, for how much longer?

1 Like

Muddling on sums it up very neatly!

I remain of the view that a properly resourced and cared for Talking Lifestyle-type format retaining many of the 2UE presenters could have worked in Sydney, especially once it moved away from its initial advertorial format. Some adapting as necessary to accommodate some sport. It was never going to work in Brisbane or Melbourne however and that was TL’s undoing. Will Nine learn the lesson though and accept that the idea of a one size fits all format across the 3 cities should be abandoned? Sadly my sense is that with cuts and efficiencies the order of the day, that lesson won’t be learnt.

2 Likes

According to the Herald Sun, Marko & the Ox will be returning to MSR.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fsport%2Fdavid-schwarz-and-mark-allen-set-to-make-return-to-macquarie-sports-radio%2Fnews-story%2F1df2a47044a1337d4778bc745f90cc25&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium

I am not saying 2sm is perfect, but they could have a similar format. Some sports shows like Talkin sport. They could have lifestyle too and news too. Shutdown the Digital radio channel. But they need to quit chopping and changing like this too often.

NTS radio. Macquarie’s New Talk and Sport. And stick to this for at least 2 years.

If they decide to go Music then do it and stick to it for a few years with some tweaks in personality. I am still curious if there is a no compete clause with 2CH. If its legal to do this.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m curious about this supposed non compete clause too. If indeed there is one, I would suspect it’s the other way around - ie. 2CH not allowed to do a talk or sport format. Theses type of non compete clauses are usually in favour of the seller and not the buyer. As there were a number of potential buyers I would have thought Macquarie would dictate any terms.

2 Likes

There has been no evidence of a non-compete clause with the sale of 2CH, just speculation on Mediaspy.

4 Likes