Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Is Brett McLeod reading Melbourne news across all 7 days at the moment?

@lepatron Yes Brett just presented for the last 7 days in Melbourne,next sure what will happen this week.

1 Like

…whereas I prefer newsreaders to read the news, rather than inject their personalities or - most annoyingly - offer commentary on whatever they’ve just read (many 7 personalities do that, which is one of the main reasons I don’t watch 7 news). Georgie Gardner is what I think of as a professional newsreader. She tells us what’s going on and that’s what I want from a newsreader.

Having said all that, when it comes to lighter news segments she shows as much personality as anyone. She just realises there’s a time and a story (so to speak) for that. She’s the best newsreader around, IMO.

3 Likes

I dislike that, also. There’s a difference between that and displaying personality during an interaction with other people on set or reacting to a lighter story. As I said, “where appropriate”.

I hate being able to predict the exact words that will come out of a presenter’s mouth during a cross to sport or weather (Ferguson) because they say the say damn thing every night. I’ve warmed to Overton because he has become quite good at bouncing off his team. His interactions with Ken are genuine and you can tell they have a rapport. I hope that continues and develops with Cameron Williams. Bath and Sully were always great at being able to bounce off their co-presenters effortlessly instead of offering the usual scripted throws.

5 Likes

Davina Smith is presenting Monday Morning & Afternoon News.
Obviously she is doing some reporting for Nine News Sydney and presenting since she returned from maternity leave last Monday.

1 Like

Sorry @Tom_TV7, but personally I think that Peter Overton is currently (with an emphasis on currently - obviously Hendo, Climpson and Roscoe are even more iconic Sydney newsreaders than Overton) the most iconic newsreader in Sydney. It’s also not hard for me to imagine Overton still presenting Nine News Sydney in ten, possibly even twenty years time from now.

Nationally, the title of most iconic newsreader currently on Australian TV would surely (and I do say this as a lifelong Sydneysider with no ties to Melbourne or Victoria) have to be Peter Hitchener?

Look, I’m sure that Belinda Russell is a decent person and any criticism (from myself or others) certainly isn’t meant to be personal. However from what I’ve seen, she’s far too cheery as a news/weather presenter.

At times, watching her present the forecast is a bit like…

Belinda: “Tomorrow in Sydney, it’ll be 28 degrees with showers and possibly the chance of a thunderstorm” - while smiling.
Me: Can I take her seriously? She’s smiling like she’s joking!

I don’t really get that impression whenever Amber, Sophie or any of Nine Sydney’s other presenters are doing the weather.

Yes, there’s always room for personality but it’s a bit disconcerting when a presenter has a cheerful/smiley mood when they’re reading out severe weather warnings and forecasts of storms. Surely I’m not the only one who feels that way?

…and that there is why Georgie Gardner is currently Nine News Sydney’s 2nd in-line presenter ahead of Deborah Knight. While I like Deborah Knight just as much if not moreso than Georgie Gardner, the facts are that GG’s time at Nine and her career in TV news generally is longer than Deb’s.

Of course Peter Overton has been at Nine even longer than those two, that’s why he’s the current lead presenter of Nine News Sydney and to some extent, one of the main faces of Nine News on a national basis.

3 Likes

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:1191, topic:148”]
Sorry @Tom_TV7, but personally I think that Peter Overton is currently … the most iconic newsreader in Sydney. It’s also not hard for me to imagine Overton still presenting Nine News Sydney in ten, possibly even twenty years time from now.
[/quote] I agree with you that Pete is the most iconic newsreader for Sydney and that he is the best person to lead Sydney’s best news team. However, personally, I prefer watching and listening to Georgie Gardner someone who I would say I adore. Hence, if it was Overton v Gardner I would be watching Georgie Gardner. But in say that, I don’t dislike Overton nor would I support him being dethroned anytime soon.

1 Like

Iconic? That’s a huge call.

Monday (2.01.17) - Friday (6.01.17): Darren Curtis is anchoring solo in Brisbane this week with Tom Mitchell on sport. Garry Youngberry returned from holidays back to his regular weather gig.

Brett McLeod presenting again in Melbourne this week with Corey Norris on sport, Peter Hitchener returns from holidays next week.

Natalia Cooper presented weather in Sydney tonight.

3 Likes

Strange interaction (I thought) between Darren C and Tom M after the sports report tonight. The first report was about the cricket selections. That was followed by fairly lengthy reports about the Big Bash (cue Ten logo) then tennis (7 and 7Two logos). The tennis coverage ended with informal comments from Tom M about upcoming games to which Darren came back that he was excited too for the cricket tomorrow “live and free on channel Nine”. Seemed rather scripted and off point.

Of course, they’re not going to plug the tennis or Big Bash cricket.

At least Nine did better than Seven in Brisbane who managed to present a sports report that made no mention of the Big Bash cricket at all but managed to fit in English Soccer.

1 Like

Yes, I don’t understand the EPL getting news coverage so often … All networks seem to be guilty of this.

I guess since it’s not on Fox anymore more people don’t know about the results? There are more people than you think that follow the EPL here.

I would have thought if EPL was THAT popular to be in the news this often there would be matches shown on commercial TV (despite the time difference) or at least some kind of packaged show.

But only SBS and pay TV seemed to have shown any real interest…
Same goes for the World Cup…

1 Like

Well…it is January 2.

No AFL or NRL (the backbone of commercial TV sports reports) for another couple of months, probably not all that much happening in Australian sport at the moment aside from the BBL, preparations for the Sydney test and the tennis. Nine (and Seven) probably just included the EPL as a time filler.

1 Like

And A League soccer

1 Like

Even during the AFL/NRL season, EPL, or UEFA still gets in the sports news.

2 Likes

Michael is replacing Tom on a permanent basis.

Outstanding appointment by the network but huge loss for QTQ.

4 Likes