Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

I agree with Emmy but I don’t think changing the male anchor is the answer. Like Adelaide, what Nine News Perth needs is stability.

Probably supposed to be saved for the Seven thread, but the irony is delicious isn’t it? The anchor that was looking to succeed Sue is now her archnemisis on the rival bulletin!

It’s a shame that most of Seven Perth’s best talents have left since 2012 (FYI, at one stage we had Sally Bowrey, Emmy Kubainski, Blake Johnson and Natalia Cooper. Fast forward today there’s only Angela Tsun and Sam Jolly).

7 Likes

I think network HQ in Sydney is more than aware (and if they’re not, they really should be) that stability is needed for Nine News in the Seven loyalist markets of Perth & Adelaide.

Of course, the presenters I’ve highlighted have since moved on to bigger and better things on the East Coast. Natalia Cooper probably being the biggest success story of those three, currently having a permanent national presenting role (which probably wouldn’t have happened if she stayed in Perth).

While it’s unfortunate that Seven Perth has lost some great talent in recent years, you really can’t blame people for wanting to try and further their media careers in Sydney or Melbourne.

2 Likes

Hopefully Jo, can’t stand Tony as a news anchor, just like Stephen Quartermain

4 Likes

Sylvia Jeffreys presented Early News this morning.

5 Likes

And from the Nine News set rather than on the Today Show set. When the Today news presenter does the Early News bulletin, they usually do it from the Today set.

12 Likes

Elizabeth Bryan was back presenting Early News this morning and Jayne Azzopardi presenting Morning News & Sydney Afternoon News today.

4 Likes

Georgie Gardner is presenting Sydney News tonight.

6 Likes

On the earlier discussion about Nine News Melbourne in the post-Hitchener era, Tony Jones probably should stick to what he’s best at (Sport). And while Jo Hall is another GTV news icon alongside Hitch, wouldn’t it be better for them to appoint a newsreader who’s more likely to be there for an extended period of time?

Personally, I think either Brett McLeod or Alicia Loxley would be the best newsreaders to take over the chair once Pete retires. But it goes without saying that I hope Peter Hitchener continues leading Nine News Melbourne for as long as he feels up to it! :slight_smile:

Peter Overton was among the guests at Laurie Oakes’ farewell dinner in Canberra on Thursday night, so that’s probably the reason why Georgie Gardner filled in.

3 Likes

Isn’t Brett roughly the same age as Jo Hall? I don’t think that he would be chosen if it was to be considered to be a long-term replacement. I would vast prefer it if Alicia took over, even though it would be great to see Bec Maddern appear as well.

2 Likes

Brett is only 5 years younger than Jo.

1 Like

Elizabeth Bryan presented Early News again this week.

1 Like

IThe only thing that makes me wonder about Alicia weekdays is for some strange reason she has never anchored it. They usually put up Tony if Hitch is not there. I don’t think Alicia and Tony have ever been on set together. Very odd. It’s a great question though, Tony is in the same boat as quarters. Both are average non sport readers but it’s the seniority that gets them across the line. Alicia is great and I hope she gets it.

Alicia for weekdays and Jo for weekends. Bec needs to go back to Seven News as much as she would be great on Nine, I think Seven need her more than anyone else, as Sevens current next in line are pretty average.

2 Likes

Totally agree. Although I would prefer Jo to be on weeknights and Alicia as weekends and her no.1 fill-in.

Any reason why Jo hadn’t hosted the main bulletin for ages? Miles ahead of Brett.

I assume she does not want the workload? (Thought she pulled back re family reasons…)

After being away sick on the weekend Deb Knight is back presenting Morning News & Sydney Afternoon News today.

4 Likes

She resigned from the weekend duties to ‘spend more time with family’. Nowadays, she can’t fill-in because she is the anchor for Nine Local News Victoria, however, this position makes me confident that Jo Hall is ‘easing’ back into duties so she can replace Hitch.

60 Minutes reporter Ross Coulthart has been reporting from Barcelona for Nine News Morning & Afternoon bulletins today, Ross was reporting from Barcelona for last night’s episode of 60 Minutes.

1 Like

Where on earth is Gary Youngberry? He has been absent from Nine News Queensland since a week before the new set launched. Before that, he returned from a 2-4 week holiday, for just one week.

1 Like

Umm, he looks like Putin…

(Gotta get the pronouns right :wink:)

5 Likes

I thought the same thing!