Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

(1/6/2020) Alicia Loxley is presenting Melbourne’s Afternoon News from Hardware Lane in the CBD today as some restrictions in the state are lifted.

11 Likes

Wednesday 3 June-

Dougal Beatty is presenting Afternoon News in Melbourne.

4 Likes

The first story in Nine News Sydney tonight featured classic footage of Mark Burrows reporting on the 1990 recession.

5 Likes

Live on nine news Adelaide tonight, Brenton speaking to Sophie in London when she was grabbed by a stranger in a live cross. Hearing her scream and clearly shaken.

Good news is she has reported back fine.

10 Likes

4 Likes

And here is the moment

8 Likes

That is horrible! I’m glad she’s okay. What a scary situation to be in! That’s fucked - excuse the language.

6 Likes

Its already on youtube!

7 Likes

Scary stuff! Great timing that they were showing other footage at the time, so the incident wasn’t actually broadcast on air.

4 Likes

Two reporters from our main networks attacked in 2 days. Goes back to my point, do they actually need to be there? I get footage and images need to be portrayed to the world (?!?) but do these reporters need to actually be in the thick of things? Could they not have reported the situation from another location or even the studio?

2 Likes

Be careful with those opinions. I expressed the same sentiments last week here and I was alone in my concerns.

2 Likes

Yeh I did too. I’m not going against any industry or careers or what not. I just think maybe things could be done differently given the world we are living in these days.

1 Like

Apparently it’s their job to put their lives at risk. I personally believe there are other ways in which their lives wouldn’t be at risk as much.

I get your point, but if journos aren’t covering these stories, the stories aren’t told. It’s their job, you could argue for better security arrangements etc. But it’s not reasonable to not have journos on the ground.

4 Likes

With Sophie Walsh, she was just standing in a park with almost no one around, no crowd around her like the reporters in the USA. Scary stuff that happened to her. Yes she could have done it from the studio instead but doing it from a quiet park should be no different to doing it from the studio.

14 Likes

Doing a stand up in a park at 10am London time well before a protest march is due to take place is hardly putting your life at risk and can’t be compared to being in the midst of standoff between police and protesters. It was a random attack that could just as easily have happened if she’d been doing a report on the royal family.

19 Likes

Well said.

The stories that David has been complaining about in recent days are hardly comparable to events in the past where reporters have stupidly risked their own safety by standing in floodwaters or a cyclone to get good pictures.

Same thing could happen on the streets of Sydney or Melbourne - there have been acts of random, public violence here in recent years as well.

I think the threshold for hiring security is going to get lower for the next little while though.

7 Likes

I agree this could happen anywhere - I’m in two worlds about it and it seems to be getting worse. Sophie Walsh last night, now Ben Avery and his cameraman scuffled into a pass way by protestors and his Microphone stolen from with a protestor yelling into it.

1 Like

Sophie explained on Today this morning in detail actually what happened it was a random act, she is obviously still shaken after that terrifying incident.
Ben returned to the London studio to report after his frightening incident with London protesters and l believe he should definitely remain in the London studio in the coming days .
Also worth noting Karl mentioned on air this morning that US Correspondents have security with them and Ben also had a security guard with him which was part of the reason why he was able to flee from the protesters.

Screenshot_20200604-105919~2

8 Likes