Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

Hitch and Jo with reporters Eliza Rugg, Stephanie Anderson and Neary Ty in the newsroom.

5 Likes

When Ash Barty was facing the media outside Roland Garros the day after her French Open win, a reporter was also seen holding both Nine and Ten microphones.

1 Like

It happens at press conferences all the time, we all tend to hold other networks microphones as there sometimes isn’t enough room for all of us to stand there.

6 Likes

There’s a video here:

Friday 14 June -

Davina Smith is hosting Bob Hawke’s state memorial service coverage she is joined by Chris Uhlmann in the studio.

3 Likes

I was under the general impression that both Nine & Ten have a relatively good competitive relationship with each other, especially when you consider the amount of news presenters/reporters (at least in the Sydney market) who’ve worked for both networks in the past!

1 Like

Yes, I think Ten are viewed as a less serious threat to both Seven and Nine than each other.

2 Likes

I agree. In addition to that, both networks have also given permission for either of their talent to appear on the other network. For instance, Peter Overton and Karl Stefanovic have both appeared on Ten in recent years, while Richard Reid even appeared on Nine’s Gold Telethon just a few days ago and that’s after him recently going public about some of his negative experiences during his time on the Today show. Nine and Ten even formed a joint-bid together when the cricket television rights were up for negotiation last year.

2 Likes

This isn’t really about which networks have a good relationship with each other.

As has been posted here, you’re not really gaining anything by refusing to carry a competitor’s mic in this scenario, because it’s a scrum/chase and therefore not exclusive. You end up looking like a dick and next time it could be you out on a bathroom/food break missing out.

A lot of reporters spend days together on end so there’s more camaraderie there than most people (here) would suspect.

And as for the French Open one, VJs often battle to have enough arms/long enough arms to do everything!

It all swings in roundabouts and most reporters are happy to help each other out.

15 Likes

It’s well know that seven/nine/ten/abc can work together on stories. Reporters and crews do actually share information and footage with one another. How they tell the story can be different though. I’m aware that the chief of staff in all newsrooms in Melbourne will talk to one another. The favours are expected to go both was though.

A lot of the rival media are in fact good friends.

1 Like

When did Eliza Rugg join Nine? She is a fantastic journo in my opinion and sorely missed on Win

2 Likes

Probably towards the end of 2015 when she became a news producer in Sydney, then had a stint of reporting for Nine in Adelaide before moving to Melbourne towards the end of 2017.

1 Like

She started in Melbourne newsroom in December 2017 and in October last year became court reporter when Jayde Vincent went on maternity leave.
I did notice in April she presented the Victorian bulletin for one night filling in for Jo Hall.,promising future ahead for her in Melbourne.

4 Likes

Just because reporter’s may work for rival networks, doesn’t mean they all have to not like each other.

1 Like

I’m sure it comes as no surprise that WIN put a ban their reporters holding rivals microphones.

4 Likes

I’ve seen networks use each other’s live eye’s when on location to send stuff back to the network if they don’t have one with them as well. They all need each other at different times, so doesn’t make sense to not cooperate.

1 Like

Not so much about them not liking each other, or networks working with each other during bathroom breaks etc. The image simply comes across as slightly odd from an average viewer’s perspective

Nine News Melbourne just ran a short video congratulating Jo Hall on 40 years at the network.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1139822036522373121

8 Likes

11 Likes