Nine News Presenters and Reporters (2015-Sept 2020)

He did a report on Thursday night too.
Can’t remember what it was about though.

1 Like

Joel was about 100 times more competent than their ‘Weekend presenter’

3 Likes

It was reported in today’s “Daily Telegraph” that Allison has moved to the host role of “Weekend Today”, so that may explain Mark reading the news last night.

Thommo promo.

13 Likes

Great promo.

Not that I’m a Perth viewer (obviously), but Thommo comes across to me as someone with credibility and experience. I think 9 have made a good choice here. I would expect ratings to improve (albeit I’m not making any predictions when it comes to knocking Rick & Sue off their throne, because we all know the odds of that happening)

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Thommo continue doing sport as well.

2 Likes

Im sure there has been testing done with viewers, and his likability.

It seems Nine might be trying out the Syd/Melb approach to news in Perth.

2 Likes

Agree. Keep in mind that Allison is continuing with 60 Minutes as a part time contributor, as is Peter Stefanovic. (Deb’s only role was on Weekend Today & fill-in newsreader so made sense for her do double duty sometimes.)

I think Mark is a good option - he’s known to Sydney audiences, regularly appears as a reporter and in live crosses, is a regular fill-in for the local afternoon news and has years of experience.

Good choice for #3 reader in Sydney!

1 Like

Good promo, obviously pushing the experience & localism of the presenter which is important. He seems likeable and warming, guess we’ll see how he goes.

6 Likes

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

Mark Burrows’ strength is his decades of experience as a reporter. Similar to Chris Reason whenever he presents bulletins on Seven, Burrows’ newsreading style has always been somewhat stiff and awkward IMO.

I don’t think Mark is that bad.

Yes, not as fluid as Peter Overton, but I felt comfortable watching him read the news a few weeks ago, and that is an important factor, it’s one of reassurance.

I agree. Mark is fine for a Friday and Saturday night bulletin where there isn’t much news to read.

Brett McLeod is presenting First At Five News and in Melbourne again this weekend.

1 Like

Saturday (20.01.2018) - Sunday (21.01.2018): Jonathan Uptin is anchoring in Queensland again this weekend with Jayde Cotic on the weather.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if Thompson ends up doing okay. He’s always been the most recognisable face they have and has had an ongoing connection to Perth unlike many who they’ve poached from over east.

1 Like

If he was that bad, wouldn’t the audience switch off? Last night Nine beat Seven at 6pm in Sydney by nearly 100k (or 30%).

Also don’t all presenters start as a reporter? Nine and seven both promote their main anchors for all of their years of reporting experience.

1 Like

…probably because an even worse newsreader than Mark Burrows was presenting Seven News Sydney last night: Robert Ovadia.

True I suppose. But knowing how long he’s been at the network for, if Mark Burrows was really that good of a newsreader don’t you think he’d be the main presenter of Nine News Sydney right now instead of Peter Overton?

3 Likes

IMO they’re both as bad as each other. Mark is marginally better because he’s a good reporter.

2 Likes

Does she present from the Brisbane studious or GC on location?

4 Likes