Nine/Fairfax Merger superthread

Wow. Did not see this coming.

Seven and News Corp are stuffed.

2 Likes

if you did then it would be insider trading :slight_smile:

No I would not say that.

Without having any knowledge at all I would say the way forward for Seven West Media and News is to stay the course, we don’t know what the future holds in terms of what will happen in Canberra in the next 12 months.

As for the news today
I would say several “Fairfax” divisions are in for the shit can like “Drive” over “Car Advice.” Domain will probably be spun off and that could see what Rupert has wanted all along, a Doamin realeaste.com.au combined property.

As for thre Radio stations, we know that SCA want moe and mre and more, maybe a trade of SCA TV (only ones that are Nine based) in return for Nine handing over the radio stations.

1 Like

Domain has already been spun off. Fairfax is the majority owner.

1 Like

I can confidently tell you they’re not.

2 Likes

Other then their Domain investment is Fairfax actually worth anything long term?

and the new NINE will probably sell it off to the highest bidder which in this market will be News Corp, that is unless Seven West Media want to enter the property classified market or lol maybe SingTel Optus.

From memory was Domain always a Faitrfax property or did ti come from what was once Packers PBL Media?

IIRC PBL Media was Nine, Carpoint (which is now Carsales/motoring) Domain and Seek. I really should do some research.

Doubt it - if anything, today’s news probably increases the likelihood of the two entering into a merger/takeover sometime down the track

1 Like

yes the two major mastheads SMH & The Age are worth every cent, not so sure about online publications like

WA Today, Canberra Times and Brisbane Times, I doubt there is any value in those publications, maybe Canberra Times i order to still have a voice in Capital Hill office (Parliament house) and possibly Brisbane Times as it does have some traction but WA Today, not a chance since Seven West Media basically own the WA & Perth market.

I mention that Drive will probably be shit caned to Car Advice (good for Alborz and Anthony), Finder no doubt will take over Fairfax technology (what that is called) and Travel and Fairfax Sports will be swallowed up by WWOS.

There’s still a limit of 2 radio stations in each market - SCA can’t acquire any of the MRN/Fairfax/Nine stations.

1 Like

I’m Sydney based so can’t say what the other cities have, so in Sydney that would be 2Day & MMM (both by the way are total shit, personal opinion) and would be should they would able to buy them 2GB (right wing nut job radio) and 2UE (oops I mean Macquire Sports), I would think SCA would dump MMM (no ratings) and 2US (even less ratings) in order to get 2GB.

Malcolm Turnbull with Brian Carlton on LAFM.

Part of this interview:

lets not forget that Malcolm has worked for both Fairfax and Nine at one stage he was also the guy that defended Gonna and was helping Packer try to buy Fiarfax i 1991.

2 Likes

Are they though? The SMHs readership has free fallen since 2010 and their web offering is lucky to be in the top 5 Australian news sites

By all accounts The Age’s numbers have suffered a similar fate.

yes, they are still both destination websites for news and other linked content.

you still need brands in order to sell advertising space, if for example SMH was changed to NINE News then advertisers would not be prepared to pay NINE the same ad rates as they would if it were still SMH.

Which is why I am guessing that other digital publications like Drive will be shit canned for Car Advice.

BT are a fantastic team which punches well above their weight. Immensely valuable to Fairfax

2 Likes

yes in terms of on-line presence Brisbane Times does a great job, but sadly not a match for Courier Mail (News Corp), however if you can’t be bothered paying for content (and many are) then Brisbane Times indeed is a valuable resource to soon new NINE.

Noted in a story in The Australian:

But who would buy them?

Greens media spokeswoman Senator Sarah Hanson-Young:

In this era of little faith in politics, and the rise in fake news, we need greater diversity and stronger public interest journalism.
It is greatly disappointing to see our media diversity continue to be watered down.
Nine now needs to be upfront with staff on whether their jobs will be safe under the new corporate banner.
Between this merger and the ongoing assault on the ABC and SBS, Australians will be very concerned about the quality of their news on television, online and in print.

https://www.ntnews.com.au/business/companies/fairfax-media-and-nine-entertainment-have-announced-plans-to-merge/news-story/17f952a1139c8d463679ebd1debce34a

Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance is also disappointed with the proposed merger.
https://twitter.com/withMEAA/status/1022293387490164736

The MEAA forgets that Fairfax used to own Seven and Macquarie Radio. They had greater power back then. A combined Fairfax, Nine and Macquarie is a shadow of the former conglomerate.

2 Likes