Nine Entertainment Co

Hasn’t Marks done a great job in the past few years? Seems the company is going from strength to strength IMO.

3 Likes

Was that due to the work and streamlining that Gyngell did before he left?

He left a platform to build on.

For the record; it’s an assumption.

He also made some coin out of CUB’s purchase of Balter Brewing (yet another craft beer brand lost to Big Beer :frowning: )

3 Likes

Whenever someone says Big Beer, I think of this…

giantbeer

7 Likes

A photo taken on 13 July. Source: Skyscraper City.

11 Likes

I really like the entrance.

When are we expecting TCN9 to move in?

1 Like

As per a recent article from The Australian/post from @littlegezzybear, the executive, programming, marketing, legal and production areas have already moved there.

The newspapers will move next month, TV in October. It’s to my understanding that radio news will also move to North Sydney while the rest of 2GB/2UE may stay at Pyrmont.

Why aren’t the rest of 2GB/2UE moving to North Sydney? You’d think it’d make sense for everything to be grouped in together.

2 Likes

Maybe Pyrmont can transmit a better radio signal than North Sydney?

My thought is that maybe Nine would have to lease more space to fit in 2GB and 2UE? And maybe they can’t break the existing lease at Pyrmont?

2 Likes

Though the transmitters are both at Sydney Olympic Park.

Wouldn’t the content to be transmitted come via IP-based delivery? Or are they still using microwaves?

It will be interesting to see if NBN News production is moved there soon too, given the dilapidated state of their Newcastle studios which will be demolished to make way for apartments.

1 Like

Source?

thanks and thats also really sad to see Nine do this.

1 Like

Why? It’s 60 years old and dilapidated. It’s holding their news service back in technological terms.

1 Like

It’s no different to what every other network has done in every metro cities. The facilites are old, the large studio space is disused. It’s more cost effective to move to smaller upgraded premises, plus they can future-proof the new tech to see them through the next couple of decades.

IIRC Brisbane has the only metro stations that haven’t been relocated closer to the CBD, all three networks are still on Mount Coot-tha.

4 Likes

Exactly. Nine Sydney is moving from Willoughby to North Sydney in the near future, sure it’s sad that there’ll soon be no more stations locally still in their original studios (not the least because Nine was Sydney’s first TV station back in 1956) but this won’t be the end of the world.

The concerns I have about NBN’s move probably have less to do with new facilities (especially since an upgrade to HD for NBN News is well overdue) and more about the fear of possible cutbacks to the local news service. While NBN News continues to rate well, I’d be extremely surprised if the temptation to centralise production/presentation to Sydney wasn’t playing on the minds of the NEC hierarchy in recent years.

…and that’s only because they have a 99 year lease on Mt Coot-tha. Had the Brisbane studios been located somewhere else, based on the experiences of other metro markets they likely would’ve moved to places in/near the CBD sometime in the last decade or two.

1 Like

Not sure where to put this but has Nine always been a sponsor of the ‘Melbourne Awards’ by the City of Melbourne?

Has Seven cut back on their sponsorship with the council?

Get Connected: Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter