Nine Entertainment Co

Exactly and because Ten’s ratings were never blockbuster, of course no one would be watching One HD. Otherise OneHD by Ten was dismal.

2 Likes

All the Nine Network programs in the Newcastle area run from 80 (9HD Newcastle) through 81; 82;83;84;85;88;
The only HD channel showing this morning is still the 9HD/80 … 82 is Gem SD; 83 & 88 Go/SD and 85 still shows up as “Your Money”/SD and a black screen/Blank page.
Very disappointing for a Major Regional Market Nine Network owned Station, broadcasting from the Central Coast/NSW through to the Queensland Border and all points out west.

1 Like

9Gem HD is now in pure HD, instead of an upscaled version.

It still hasn’t adapted a 9Gem HD logo, but the logo looks much better.

5 Likes

Meanwhile SCA9 Canberra still has a religious channel in the slot where 9Gem HD should be.

1 Like

Campmeeting doesn’t interest you?

1 Like

A spokesperson for NINE has told me “the current plan” is for 9GEMHD to operate until the end of The Ashes. Of course this could potentially change depending on audience response.

5 Likes

Yeah, I guess it makes sense for Nine to see how audiences respond to 9GemHD before possibly making the channel a permanent addition to the lineup if successful.

Here in Sydney, does anyone else think that 9HD looks upscaled from 720P?

I think that’s just the quality of the Hot Seat repeat.

Looks standard 1080p on terrestrial for me

1 Like

Yep you were right. Quality on 9HD looks the same as before the change.

I’d be interested in doing a transport stream analysis later tonight to see what the bitrates are looking like!

2 Likes

ONE was smashing the competition

3 Likes

What? GO! and 7TWO often massively out rated ONE HD. From memory it fell well behind ABC2. It often only had an average of 1.0 most nights.

I remember them adding Sunday night sports movies to try and lift the ratings.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Ratings were dour on One HD during its days as a sports channel

1 Like

The direct competition of ONE was Fox Sports. Not the other multichannels.

In the free to air landscape it wasn’t winning, no.

1 Like

It wasn’t commercially viable in the long run. To make the channel work, TEN needed to buy more premium sports content all year round. There was very little on the channel over the summer months. It struggled.

3 Likes

And it was an expensive channel to run.

I think TEN forked out something like $16 mil for the Indian Premier League cricket rights, just to be shown on ONE HD.

4 Likes

I’m not talking about the long run.

At that point in time, ONE was outperforming Fox Sports and the Murdoch’s saw that as an untenable threat, bought into the network and gutted it from the inside.

2 Likes

Lol. No. One was never a threat to Fox. Ten maybe.

1 Like