Newcastle - Survey 1, 2019

I believe they could, if they did the rock format right. Newcastle was once a rock city as well.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I agree there. Townsville has a rock station in addition to Triple M. I notice a lot of small to mid size markets in the US have stations that are rock oriented classic hits stations. An example in a bigger market over there is K-Earth although even that one has softened a bit lately and gone a bit “80s AC”, but it still is “rock leaning”.

4 Likes

From a week of sampling 2NUR in market, it is more sleepy than classic hits. More towards a beautiful music format in the day.

They run two streams of talk breaks, one for NEW, the other for the network.

Caralis network has run local variations of network formats, the example I can remember is one I shared recently of 4AK when James Yelland was sent up there to help out the Toowoomba stations. 4AK was run on its own format, complimentary to that of 4GR and CFM, all out of a computer outside of local shifts, which may have been extended to three shifts 6am - 6pm.

It is possible, so it can be done again if the willpower is there.

Agree, Hot Tomato was no instant success. Five years in, they invested in the station and reaped the rewards. NEW would similarly benefit.

Laws and Gilbert should be retained. Graeme knows how to keep the Newcastle oldies happy with his numerous references to decades gone by in Newy.

Ron, Stephanie and Phil read the market right in positioning both stations in the mid 90’s for the supplementary licences.

Thank you, well said.

Correct, anecdotally been told the same. @HUFF may have some historical surveys?

Exactly, four commercial stations and an ABC rebuilding itself, shares should be much higher. The fact it has been such an uncompetitive market for the best part of two decades has seen audiences drift.

Yet Kev Blyton continues with the delusion of attraction to this failed format. Google: X Perth and you see the same concept 30 years on.

Thankfully sanity prevailed in Canberra to put Snow on DAB+ instead of that abomination.

Exactly, it only went to #1 because the competition faltered. Taken years to go on a big circle of formats to enjoy a few years of success which is now behind it.

Correct. Less generic, local sells for bfast and so on.

Lack of focus and consistency indeed is what I picked up in market this year.

2NUR would be much more successful if they reduced their average age to flank the FM commercials upper end of target audiences.

Don’t be sorry, great memories.

Paul Lobb for those beyond northern NSW is the #1 newsreader at NBN since Ray Dinneen retired. Great reading presentation.

And this will always be the downfall of stations in Newcastle. The audience demands consistency the same way they have received that consistency in what the more impatient Media Spy members would consider mind numbingly large proportions from NBN, especially from their news bulletins.

Instead of trying to change the market, give the audience what they want.

Great memories thank you and all for them.

You need a job on the Today show :smiley:

I recall the same.

FM104.7 are all the poorer for their move away from this and their talent losses.

And still has the audience for it.

And very smart too, program alternative formats rather than 2 x 2 duplication.

6 Likes

Before New and KOFM signed on, the market’s big three commercial outlets basically split the audience. 2HD, 2NX and 2KO averaged high 20s/low 30s in the 80s. In the late 70s 2NX and 2KO averaged mid 30s, with 2HD generally in 3rd in the mid 20s. Going back to my earliest data in 1976 (which to be fair is not completely exhaustive), I don’t show any surveys with any station above a 35 share in the overall audience.

3 Likes