New Zealand Radio

There have been a few attempts in parts of NZ with a country format but not real success as I understand.

TRN (Now NZME) reformatted Hokonui in the Southland market in either 2012 or 2013 to a country format and it was dropped within a matter of weeks and reverted back to Adult Contemporary. The facebook comments weren’t positive at the time either.

2 Likes

Welcome @PaddyTePou and thanks for making the effort to sign up and then contribute.

I’m no country music expert, however I feel they’ve been poorly implemented on digital radio. Too narrow a format by both ABC and SCA. Fairfax’s The Buckle not much better either.

They suffer from the programming mindset of being a station in a box rather than the entities long established broadcast stations are viewed as.

That would be the replacement factor. All stations have audiences and they are resistant to change. A blank canvas like Nova is far easier to garner success than the slow burn they went through with Smooth following Vega, Classic Rock and whatever else.

3 Likes

From what I was told at the time, the plans around Hokonui were to implement the country music in the station’s home market of Gore (Southland) first (a hotbed for country music), then network it out to other regional markets across the country. However, the feedback was so vociferously against it, the station flipped back with weeks as @Reece mentioned.

They eventually did roll out Hokonui to other markets (Hawera, Ashburton) with local breakfast shows but the music is a 70s/80s/90s mix .

2 Likes

the music on magic is a bit before my time having just turned 50 but i can see the strategy behind having it on fm i have always said music stations should be on fm and talk on am tends to work overseas

2 Likes

Would you say am is more popular over Aus than here?

AM holds about 30% surveyed share in Australia’s five metros.

You have strong commercial talkback stations 2GB, 3AW and 5AA along with a good share from the ABC’s ‘Local Radio’ which is talkback with some music and flagship current affairs programs AM/World Today/PM.

Then there’s RN and Newsradio adding to the numbers across all five cities.

Music stations 4KQ, 2CH, 5DN (Cruise) and 6IX add to the total. KQ and Cruise are the most successful. There was a greater AM share with 4BH and 3EE (Magic) as music station and 2UE a decent rating commercial talk station.

Then there’s racing stations and others not in the ratings.

2 Likes

Big Rig Country Hits - Country music station launching on Mediaworks streaming app Rova this month . Thane Kirby behind it.

Listen : http://stream.radiojar.com/yuw2p7b1hrquv
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6Ceen4FZBD/

Calling it. Big Rig country hits to replace Magic Talk. :laughing:

2 Likes

What genre within country and target demo are they planning to reach? Is Thane Kirby a member here to contribute?

Not sure sorry.

I suspect MediaSpy probably isn’t Thane’s vibe.

Thanks @nztv and @OnAir, many read and don’t post, occasional few do and more again correspond privately.

The radio, print and online section of the site is the most industry focussed compared to the speculation within the TV discussions, must be the pictures.

3 Likes

I have quietly wondered, does anyone here listen to Matinee Idle

let me rephrase that, is anyone on here willing to admit that they listen to Matinee Idle?

Looks like a show big on music as gap filler.

ABC local radio in Australia inflicted similar onto its audiences for 90mins over lunch with Myf Warhurst hosting. It wrecked the ratings of afternoon and drive at least. Music terrible on AM as the primary delivery medium of ABC local radio.

I used an SDR online to tune to RNZ’s SW program, it was irrelevant and non compelling obscure conversation from a UK accent speaker. This would’ve been on their overnight show as it was before midnight here.

Almost how a music show works.

1 Like

I listen on occasion. It’s good fun and a bit different for RNZ. Almost seems a bit madcap for RNZ but they are getting a bit more eclectic now rather than the BBC prototype it fell into for a long time in the 2000s.

1 Like

Is it needed? The music doesn’t look exclusive that RNZ is the only one to cover them

it’s hard to describe the format @TV4 might be able to do a better job than I.

The music is pretty eclectic, so you do get some mainstream stuff as well as some wider stuff.

2 Likes

What else has everyone noticed over summer?

ZB Breakfast has been hosted by the outstanding Tim Dower once again, which must be about the 20th year running but it’s always a good format and a nice change of pace to the usual show.

I read somewhere that Magic was doing Garner/AM Show best ofs? Anyone know?

Guessing most shows will be back the 20th.

It’s public-holiday filler, going since about 2005. Basically they play stuff you might know but versions of it you don’t. The playlist, therefore, is very varied.
It’s supposed to be light-hearted and flippant, it’s afternoon summer radio! The serious stuff returns next week.

1 Like

I know on the 23rd and 24th Magic was on air from 6AM to 7PM and music the rest of the day and had catch ups on the public holidays and music on weekends schedule is slowly coming back atm

1 Like