New Zealand Radio

Probably all just automated, I would say.
I still remember the independent stations in the 90s would do a New Years Eve countdown of the top songs of the year leading up to midnight - live and local.
Nothing like that now, except on the likes of National Radio (and probably not a countdown like that either).

I was reading Tim Murphy’s annual Media Person of the Year column, in which he mentions briefly that RNZ had lined up two co-presenters to replace Kim Hill. Was due to be announced before Christmas but never happened.

The good old days of radio…

1 Like

From Shayne Currie/ NZ Herald Media Insider column earlier this month:

Among a raft of names being considered are Stacey Morrison, currently host of NZME’s Flava breakfast show; award-winning author and broadcaster Noelle McCarthy; former Morning Report presenters Susie Ferguson and Guyon Espiner; and Nine to Noon host Kathryn Ryan.
Media Insider sources say RNZ may have even been considering the option of co-hosts.

Imo… Graeme Hill would be great

1 Like

The sound turn 12 on ny day they are replaying the music they played on launch day

Just another day for The Sound then :joy:

1 Like

I think they do this every time

Have a birthday every time or replay the same songs on their birthday every time?

Replay the playlist in full from the 1st day on air…1st song was elton john “funeral for a friend”

All shut up shop over there as well now and the Facebook page is gone as well.

I am sure this is about the third or fourth time the radio vault has emerged only to delete their entire web presence and return a few years later, seems to be an erratic lot that run it.

1 Like

Just went to the Buy Me a Coffee platform a moment ago and I noticed that The Radio Vault closed its doors and the 404 page was shown.

As far as I am concerned the team from The Radio Vault have done a terrific job in recent years.

2 Likes

Very bizarre all around.

I think a couple of times the Duane guy who was running it previously had a meltdown over people “stealing” (his words, not mine) stuff off the site and re-using it, so he took the whole thing down.

Sucks about the current lot though - what happens if you’ve already bought them a coffee? What now?

1 Like

Would be interesting to find out how they mamaged to archieve and source all of the original content as a lot of it was old stuff…

1 Like

Agree some of the content was gold…bought back some happy memories when radio in nz was fun to listen to

2 Likes

You mean ‘archive’?

From Newsroom’s Media People of the Year

Heather du Plessis-Allan
The NewstalkZB drive host has hit a sweet spot for the station’s older, centre-right leaning audience. She was early to predict the electorate’s generally fed-up attitude towards the Labour government but was exacting and dubious of political allcomers. Her show has a pace and spark that in 2023 confirmed her claim to eventually claim the breakfast spot.

Gotta agree. I don’t think ZB breakfast would miss a beat with HDPA.

2 Likes

Yes typo archive is def the word i wanted

She would be a good host of breakfast should mike hosking ever stand aside but i assume thats not in tfw short term plans

The sympathy I may have had for them earlier is now lost. Going scorched earth on several fantastic uploads all for a little more revenue. A stupid, stupid move all around.

(Particularly hurt by the loss of the great 2XS Millennium aircheck I shared last night in the NZ Radio History thread, was one of my favorites from them.)

3 Likes