New Zealand Radio

I sometimes wonder if she regrets leaving that role now - I read she was under the impression that Today FM would have funding for 5 years, not 1, which is why she left TV3 in the first place. I can see why she would be unhappy.

She may have burned some bridges with Mediaworks and Newshub, but there’s always TVNZ or RNZ. Hell, even NZME could be interested, although I think her comments of “they’ve f----d us” in the final minutes of Today FM would probably give them all pause.

5 Likes

I’m sure there are LOTS of bars in Auckland that could do with an extra pair of hands… :crazy_face:

In all seriousness, I’m sure she’ll be all right. Like her or not, she is an accomplished journalist who has achieved a lot in a relatively short career. There is a whole world beyond NZ media (and NZ in general!). She’s certainly no Rachel Glucina, who had to flee to London after the Scout debacle, I suspect because no one down under would dare hire her!

(As an aside, if anyone here watches The Brokenwood Mysteries, there is a rather unpleasant reporter character who I am convinced is based on Glucina - she has a similar appearance and everything!)

1 Like

I know her name (Tova) was mentioned as a contender for Midday Report on RNZ, but that’s gone to Charlotte Cook.
Incidentally, Max Towle who has filled in on Midday Report slipped in that he was leaving on yesterday’s show (Charlotte’s first) and would be reading Newstalk ZB’s morning bulletins in Wellington.

1 Like

You would think in an election year there would be a vehicle for tova somewhere but
As has been mentioned tfe media landscape is not that huge in nz so i fear for her that her options are limited unless she can branch out on her own with a podcast somewhere

That is the Faustian bargain you make when living in NZ, I’m afraid (indeed, in any smaller place). Piss off the wrong people and your life is basically over.

1 Like

I’m not sure that is entirely the case to be honest. Obviously Discovery is probably a no go and Mediaworks, but NZME, TVNZ and RNZ could be landing spots if gigs open up.

3 Likes

She might possibly make the move into PR/comms. A lot of ex reporters and TV new presenters end up being PR people in major companies.

Going into PR/communications may mean the end of an era for people like Tova O’Brien in the journalism and broadcasting industry.

Less $$ to what she’s used to may tempt her to try something else like comms but I’d be surprised if she hasn’t had offers from Stuff or TVNZ and the like. Much as I don’t think radio was her calling she’s a decent tv reporter.

Sadly, I feel that many of the newer journos aren’t taught to be objective. Tova is one of them. They’re not taught how to be impartial and so what we get today is often opinion dressed up as news. The $55M+ Govt bailout of media has muddied the water even further. Maybe this was on purpose, maybe not, but it would help account for why more and more Kiwi’s are turning off MSM in favour of alternative media, podcasts, etc… IMO, Tova was an unwitting part of the problem, a useful idiot if you like. It was part of her training not to think critically about everything and thus report objectively. This became more obvious when Donald Trump entered the scene. Like him or hate him, with most reporters in NZ, all obvectivity went out the window. It was all opinion with very little unbiased reporting. Same with C-19. When did we ever hear the other side of the story in an objective, respectful manner? There was plenty of dissenting opinion from world leaders, experts in their field - arguably more qualified to speak on such matters and our own so-called experts, but what did we get? Propaganda and sustained propaganda at that, aided and abetted by our media. Where was the critical thinking of our fourth estate? There was none. Just one view. The Govt’s view. No wonder so many Kiwi’s are leaving MSM in their droves.

I’m very hopeful that the moment we have a change of Govt, the PJIF will be gone. Media organisations, like any other business needs to stand or fall based on whether the public support them, not whether they have Govt support or not.

We need to get back to apprentice journalism, where journalists are taught every aspect by trained and seasoned journalists. Old school journalists, like Lindsay Perigo or Bob McNeill for example.

And yes, I would be saying exactly the same thing if this was a National Govt doing the same thing.

Just my two cents.

The $55M+ Govt bailout of media has muddied the water even further. Maybe this was on purpose, maybe not, but it would help account for why more and more Kiwi’s are turning off MSM in favour of alternative media, podcasts, etc…
- it wasn’t on purpose, the news media was going through a rough patch during coronavirus and this was to encourage in-depth reporting as my understanding. I saw quite a few pieces challenging the government on things/stuff they had said/done as well

Same with C-19. When did we ever hear the other side of the story in an objective, respectful manner? There was plenty of dissenting opinion from world leaders, experts in their field - arguably more qualified to speak on such matters and our own so-called experts, but what did we get? Propaganda and sustained propaganda at that, aided and abetted by our media. Where was the critical thinking of our fourth estate? There was none. Just one view. The Govt’s view. No wonder so many Kiwi’s are leaving MSM in their droves.
- that last line almost makes you’ve strayed into the anti-vaxx/conspiracy theory rabbit hole. I don’t see that happening anywhere. Yes, some people are moving to other forms of media, for sure - but not in the hundreds of thousands. And “the other side of the story”? What other side? No one should get vaccinated/wear masks to protect themselves from covid? That’s anti-vaxx stuff right there. Our “so-called experts” as you describe them guided us to one of the lowest death tolls from covid in the world.

I’m very hopeful that the moment we have a change of Govt, the PJIF will be gone. Media organisations, like any other business needs to stand or fall based on whether the public support them, not whether they have Govt support or not.
- you’ll be pleased to know that the fund is due to expire soon.

We need to get back to apprentice journalism, where journalists are taught every aspect by trained and seasoned journalists. Old school journalists, like Lindsay Perigo or Bob McNeill for example.
- this part I do agree with you on, although maybe not Lindsay Perigo, he’s down the rabbit hole already

And yes, I would be saying exactly the same thing if this was a National Govt doing the same thing.
- I find that hard to believe, sorry.

2 Likes

To be fair that is exactly why there needs to be some sort handout given to these companies because it is the opinion dressed up as news that is so easy and cheap for them to do. And many of these anti-mainstream media organisations are probably the worst at doing it!

I would rather they don’t receive money but their line in the sand now is that they won’t cover these stories without it.

1 Like

And there’s the chaser.

2 Likes

I am a strong supporter of genres that are currently extinct in NZ, such as regional news and current affairs and investigative journalism on network television. What is going to happen to NZ On Air’s Public Interest Journalism Fund (PIJF) if it is not being renewed as a result of NZ Government changes?

1 Like

The purpose of the PIJF was warped by the right wing who opposed it mainly because of race (i.e. they didn’t like that one of the guidelines was for media companies to “consider” the values of the Treaty of Waitangi in their reporting - but it wasn’t a requirement). The fund has been incredibly useful in helping to tell important stories, particularly justice and local democracy, that might have otherwise gone untold. The fund has done a great job at diversifying the stories we are getting, and from who were are getting them from. It was a necessary initiative, especially during the peak Covid years.

What was your problem with the reporting of Covid-19 in NZ? Our response was the best in the world, and the media I believe did an excellent job at conveying the correct messaging as provided by scientists and medical experts at the time.

While I appreciate your two cents I think you need to look at the bigger picture… and jump out of the rabbit hole.

1 Like

Found this link to the Today FM website via the Channel X page on the MediaWorks website.

The streaming page is also listed on there as well as still updates with what show would normally be playing.
https://portfolio.mediaworks.co.nz/home/player.html

1 Like

Well that’s a throwback to a lot of my cool old work.

I’ve been listening to Anthemz on rova and they have the same station imaging as Channel X.

1 Like

The Instagram page is public again, too.

It does too! May as well just call it Channel X lol

with the addition of MediaWorks news at the top of the hour.

Surely Anthemz as a brand is not that strong in Chch?

Edit: oh it actually has a breakfast host. Josh?